Proposal: NHL Network --- Eichel & Dahlin FOR Hughes & Hischier

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I could see Buffalo getting much a bigger offer out of this in terms of quantity.....but I’m not convinced they could get an individual player back in those offers that is better than either Devils player. If this was a real concept I could see this being the best offer in terms of quality.

Maybe Jersey adds a pick or something but that’s a pretty solid offer. It’s their top two centers who are number one overall picks, both have some time on the job already. It’s not a bad offer at all.

Reactions: toomuchsauce

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
As a Sabres fan, I'd do it. I would like it if NJ adds to it, but it's acceptable as-is. Eichel is extremely valuable - maybe even more than this, but I don't know if I could do much better in an Eichel trade. I'm not interested in the standard 4-piece formula (middle-6 NHL forward, "veteran"/cap dump NHL forward, a prospect and low-first round pick). In theory, you could do much better by trading Dahlin and Eichel separately. But I'm still scarred by the ROR trade debacle, and I do not trust the Sabres organization to properly evaluate players. This is absolutely the best they'd do.

Hischier and Hughes are both very good players, still with room to grow. Not Eichel, but very good. And the Sabres are going to have a high pick in this draft. Adding Beniers would really remake the organization into a team that is very deep, and young, at forward. Hischier, Hughes, Cozens, Beniers sounds good to me. Fast, skilled, defensively responsible. Mittelstadt is vaguely becoming an NHL player. Maybe Reinhart sticks around and continues to do his thing.

Or, maybe they draft Luke Hughes and have middle bro and little bro together. That'd be a fun story line.

Reactions: Xirik

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
I could see Buffalo getting much a bigger offer out of this in terms of quantity.....but I’m not convinced they could get an individual player back in those offers that is better than either Devils player. If this was a real concept I could see this being the best offer in terms of quality.

Maybe Jersey adds a pick or something but that’s a pretty solid offer. It’s their top two centers who are number one overall picks, both have some time on the job already. It’s not a bad offer at all.
No doubt. Unfortunate NJ picked first in those years as both would go 10-20 in a decent draft.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
...what exactly have Eichel and Dahlin led Buffalo to...?
:huh::thumbd::skeptic::blah::loony::shakehead:squint:
That's not the point. The NJ poster said Eichel and Dahlin suck because they cant lead their team to wins. By that same logic, The NJ players must be garbage too. At least the Buffalo players actually produce when their team sucks though.

Reactions: GOALOFSSON

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Uh, Eichel’s hurt dude. Hasn’t whined in years. What planet do you get this from? No disrespect to your players, they’re chill, but this characterization is not reality my guy. Jack competed like hell last year. Didn’t whine. Dude was clearly hurt this year, been out weeks now, never was negative about it from anything I’ve seen. Seems he hurt himself training, somethin in his neck? Something was off from the start, bro, check the username and know that I know. Eichel is by far the best player involved here, and don’t mischaracterize his behavior like that.

Not reality if he doesn't want out Buffalo would not trade him....He didn't trust their doctors BRO that's a sign he doesn't trust them and he's on the outs....Where there is smoke there's fire he wants out....

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Neutral fan here, I think each team has some arguing points but I think it's fairly even.

Hughes had the awful rookie season (off to a slow offensive start) but he's looking better this season, whereas now Dahlin is getting wrecked in his own end and was/ is on the 3rd pair on some nights, plus he's got the league's worst +/-... in a shortened season (he's also on pace to pass last season's worst +/- set by Athanasiou of -46).

Hischier might not reach the same offensive heights that Eichel has the potential to attain, but he's still a #1 center and a more well-rounded one at that. Captaincies aside for each, Hischier's been touted for his defensive play, has he not? Eichel is probably still a bit better on offense but when you slump like he's been slumping this season, that $10 million cap looks a lot less attractive. Don't get me wrong, at this point Jack is still the better player but it's probably closer than Sabres fans are willing to admit.

Of course, a #1 C and #1 D are better building blocks than a #1 C and a #2 C or #1 winger if he doesn't pan out in the middle, but when it's not working then it doesn't matter.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
>NJ adds

hah, not even. if this was a 2-for-2 as proposed in the OP, Buffalo makes out like bandits.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Someone isn't biased at all
You could make an argument that Nico and Hughes would go 10th in a GREAT draft though I still would say you are wrong but hey its a hypothetical great draft.

However you bit off more then you can chew with stating they would go between 10-20 which is definitely insane. Lets go with the 2016 draft which people say was decent stack those drafted against Nico
1st, Mathews
2nd McAvoy
ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

nobody after that I would 100% say is a better pick the nico

lets do the the generational 2015 draft now

1st Mcdavid
2nd Eichel
--------
3rd Barzal
4rd Marner
5th Aho
6th Chabot
7th hischier
8th Rantanen

I see 5th, 6th, and 7th as interchangeable based on team needs and positional value.

If you still feel like defending your opinion after this post then please do a redraft on show me who you would pick over nico.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I don’t hate it, value favours the Devils.

It’ll come down to how the respective teams value and project these players, coupled with any impact from Eichel going public with trade demands or hold out.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Holy shit there are people who think this is bad for New Jersey??? lol
Its almost solely NJ fans.

Somehow a #1 overall pick who cant even pace for 40pts and another who cant even pace for 60pts is worth more than the #1 pick who can pace for 90pts and the #1pick D who can pace for 50+pts

They seem to do this a lot. They also thought they stole a star player from Vegas in Gusev. I dont think they watch much hockey outside of NJ games

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Neutral fan here, I think each team has some arguing points but I think it's fairly even.

Hughes had the awful rookie season (off to a slow offensive start) but he's looking better this season, whereas now Dahlin is getting wrecked in his own end and was/ is on the 3rd pair on some nights, plus he's got the league's worst +/-... in a shortened season (he's also on pace to pass last season's worst +/- set by Athanasiou of -46).

Hischier might not reach the same offensive heights that Eichel has the potential to attain, but he's still a #1 center and a more well-rounded one at that. Captaincies aside for each, Hischier's been touted for his defensive play, has he not? Eichel is probably still a bit better on offense but when you slump like he's been slumping this season, that $10 million cap looks a lot less attractive. Don't get me wrong, at this point Jack is still the better player but it's probably closer than Sabres fans are willing to admit.

Of course, a #1 C and #1 D are better building blocks than a #1 C and a #2 C or #1 winger if he doesn't pan out in the middle, but when it's not working then it doesn't matter.
Is Hughes actually looking better? He had s great 10 games and has produced like a 4th liner since then.

Eichel is "probably a bit" better on offense? There's like a 30pt gap between them...

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I'm wrong
There is pigeons in here saying he is worth more than Hughes and Hischier combined

Right now He's currently battling with Jack Johnson and Robert Bortuzzo for the worst GF% in the league.
And Hughes is battling with Stefan for the worst start to a 1st overall's career in NHL history... What's your point? Has he even figured out how to lift the puck yet?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
man.. Sabres fans really do deserve what has happened with their team, They Think exactly like their Gm.

"DaHLiN and EiCheL are way better then Hischier and Hughes and would instantly make your team better."

uhh... if that were true why aren't the sabtres winning and in the playoff race? If the NJ and the Sabres did the trade we'd basically be switching teams, New Jersey Sabres and the Buffalo Devils. Do Sabres fans really think the Devils roster is much better then theirs? if you take hischier, Hughes, Dahlin, and Eichel out we basically have the same roster.

so based on the standings if the New Jersey Sabres would be.....worse.
So you must agree that youd trade Hughes and Hischier for Garland and Schmaltz then, right? Arizona is winning and NJ is garbage so clearly the other two are better, yes?

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Its almost solely NJ fans.

Somehow a #1 overall pick who cant even pace for 40pts and another who cant even pace for 60pts is worth more than the #1 pick who can pace for 90pts and the #1pick D who can pace for 50+pts

They seem to do this a lot. They also thought they stole a star player from Vegas in Gusev. I dont think they watch much hockey outside of NJ games

It’s not our fault people like you don’t understand that trading for Eichel means we suddenly have to scramble to make a good team in 5 years instead of being patient and building through the draft.

I don’t think many people are arguing that the value is way off at this point and the Devils would need to add. The argument is that the trade doesn’t make any sense for NJ.

Eichel and Dahlin haven’t found any success in Buffalo, why would anyone think they’d suddenly make the Devils better? We’d just be stuck with a 5 year window and start the rebuild over again.

Reactions: Xirik and My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad