NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE FIVE! Part Two!

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
In the spirit of this wonderful specificity, I am going to change @Lord Defect's last pick from "Oxygen" to "Lack of Oxygen." Thank you for leading by example, Bernie - you help us make the Quackverse a better place.

83-835857_pack-of-75-38mm-reward-stickers-clip-art.png

(It's even spelled correctly.)

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I have noticed that several of the musical instrument choices have identified specific brands, years, and even individual instruments. Having been the first entrant to this category, I happily endorse this detail as being a much richer sense of not just what was picked but also why. If not too migraine-inducing, I would play along with this for choice of pipe organ. My specific selection, possibly one that some of you have heard, is the fully-functional 28,500-pipe Wanamaker organ in the Lord and Taylor department store in Philadelphia.

iu

250px-ConsoleOrgueWanamaker.jpg

This beauty was originally built in 1904 for the St Louis World’s Fair, initially with only (!) 10,000 pipes. In 1909, John Wanamaker snapped it up for his new emporium in Philadelphia. It took two years to put in place and various pipes were added up until 1930, bringing the total to its number today. It may be massive, but underneath its skin lies a gentle giant capable of velvety, magical sounds.

This more specific choice would also -- I know it's late in the round -- allow others to choose specific organs, even just for the euphemisms (looking at you, @Young Sandwich).

Happy Easter season to you all, by the way. Thanks to @Captain Dave Poulin for being the trustworthy custodian of my last couple of picks in my weekend absence.

In-arena organs rule. I drafted one too, although it’s hidden in my arena pick. I even drafted an organ player for it. :laugh:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I have noticed that several of the musical instrument choices have identified specific brands, years, and even individual instruments. Having been the first entrant to this category, I happily endorse this detail as being a much richer sense of not just what was picked but also why. If not too migraine-inducing, I would play along with this for choice of pipe organ. My specific selection, possibly one that some of you have heard, is the fully-functional 28,500-pipe Wanamaker organ in the Lord and Taylor department store in Philadelphia.

iu

250px-ConsoleOrgueWanamaker.jpg

This beauty was originally built in 1904 for the St Louis World’s Fair, initially with only (!) 10,000 pipes. In 1909, John Wanamaker snapped it up for his new emporium in Philadelphia. It took two years to put in place and various pipes were added up until 1930, bringing the total to its number today. It may be massive, but underneath its skin lies a gentle giant capable of velvety, magical sounds.

This more specific choice would also -- I know it's late in the round -- allow others to choose specific organs, even just for the euphemisms (looking at you, @Young Sandwich).

Happy Easter season to you all, by the way. Thanks to @Captain Dave Poulin for being the trustworthy custodian of my last couple of picks in my weekend absence.

BP, you should check this vid out my friend. Let me find it and edit the post. It really is cool

20 mins long, but so so worth it. Absolutely stunning. And the guy is exceptionally musically talented, so he asks very cool and not time waster questions. So interesting, so great

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Continuing on with drafting meh players because I am apathetic about this stupid sport (with the exception of Tootoo, whose outreach, off ice issues, and overcoming thereof are honorable to say the absolute least) we will select an exceptionally meh defenseman:

Jaroslav Modry

@Chuck Downie

You already have two defensemen.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
You already have two defensemen.
Oh shit I do? The mediocrity is running together

Ok wait hold on there's plenty more where this came from

Oh f*** I only have dealers choice left

DO NOT WAIT FOR ME. DEALERS CHOICE REQUIRES LOTS OF TYPING. NO ONE WILL PICK IT, SO PLEASE GO ON WITHOUT ME. IM GOING TO TYPE IT UP AFTER I GET BACK FROM MY RUN

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
BP, you should check this vid out my friend. Let me find it and edit the post. It really is cool

20 mins long, but so so worth it. Absolutely stunning. And the guy is exceptionally musically talented, so he asks very cool and not time waster questions. So interesting, so great

That was great, DP. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to send to my fellow musician who plays (among other instruments) the organ. He can do the hands/feet thing, which amazes me.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Oh shit I do? The mediocrity is running together

Ok wait hold on there's plenty more where this came from

Oh f*** I only have dealers choice left

DO NOT WAIT FOR ME. DEALERS CHOICE REQUIRES LOTS OF TYPING. NO ONE WILL PICK IT, SO PLEASE GO ON WITHOUT ME. IM GOING TO TYPE IT UP AFTER I GET BACK FROM MY RUN

@Captain Dave Poulin He drafted Waiting as his Dealer's Choice. This is an excellent middle finger to you specifically.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Dealer's Choice: Team Rant - Seth Jones is the second coming of PK Subban, and will even be worse than PK at the same points in their careers. Jones' contract will go down as one of the worst in NHL history.

Well on his way to a 10mil aav contract, Seth Jones is big, puts up decent amounts of points, is a minutes eater, is a good skater, and is not worth even close to the contract he is going to get.

I always bang the transition game drum, says everyone, so why don't you look at his transition data! It's exceptional!

Ubp13tZ.png

Well, sure, ignoring the horrific zone entry defense. But not every player can be a beast at everything. Granted, Jones with the puck on his stick definitely gets the puck into the offensive zone with the best of them, cumulatively, the last 4 seasons. Or does he? 2 seasons ago, a disturbing trend arose- one we are all familiar with: the dump and chase. His controlled entry/60 is now in the 83rd percentile. It fell from last year's 86th percentile, which was a far cry from the 99th and and 93rd percentile from 2018 and 2017, respectively.

zxY9yO6.png

The entry defense issue is glaring. It is backed by both the macrostats, microstats, and the eye test. His pursuit and gap control are horrendous and as a result he will rarely halt an opposing rush and catch the opponent outnumbered during transition. His exceptional transition play, in a way, is empty and does not tip the offensive scales. In only 2 of the last 6 seasons (his CBJ seasons), his xG%rel was in the positives. In the same vein, in the past 3 years, his presence on the ice DID NOT effect CBJ's percentage of goals for at 5v5. It was exactly 53% with him on the ice vs off the ice. In his entire 9 season career, only 5 times has he outperformed a 51 xG%, and only thrice outperformed 52%. Only 4 of his 9 seasons has he seen a positive HDCF%. In other words, he's never been more than, at absolute best, bang average at both suppressing opponents and manufacturing offense.

iLpnthO.jpg

Once he loses that half step as he approaches 30, the results could and will be disastrous. He'll no longer be able to rely on his good "point a to point b" skating to mask his poor check attachment while defending, likely leading to more chances against off the rush, not just entries allowed. On the PP, he is even a worse performer than someone like Subban, so it would be foolish to point to some sort of PP prowess to scratch and claw for value. Jones' PPxGF reached 10 in 6 of 9 seasons, with only 3 of those seasons above 15. PK only dropped BELOW 15 twice, delivering upwards of 25 xGF in 6 seasons, for example. PK's 6 seasons of 4 or more pp points/60 dwarf Jones' 3 seasons. Jones also has only 2 seasons under his belt of 90+ PPCF/60 while PK owns 10 seasons eclipsing that mark, including 5 seasons of >100.

In conclusion, lol Seth Jones.

Last edited:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Dealer's Choice: Team Rant - Seth Jones is the second coming of PK Subban, and will even be worse than PK at the same points in their careers. Jones' contract will go down as one of the worst in NHL history.

Well on his way to a 10mil aav contract, Seth Jones is big, puts up decent amounts of points, is a minutes eater, is a good skater, and is not worth even close to the contract he is going to get.

I always bang the transition game drum, says everyone, so why don't you look at his transition data! It's exceptional!

Ubp13tZ.png

Well, sure, ignoring the horrific zone entry defense. But not every player can be a beast at everything. Granted, Jones with the puck on his stick definitely gets the puck into the offensive zone with the best of them, cumulatively, the last 4 seasons. Or does he? 2 seasons ago, a disturbing trend arose- one we are all familiar with: the dump and chase. His controlled entry/60 is now in the 83rd percentile. It fell from last year's 86th percentile, which was a far cry from the 99th and and 93rd percentile from 2018 and 2017, respectively.

zxY9yO6.png

The entry defense issue is glaring. It is backed by both the macrostats, microstats, and the eye test. His pursuit and gap control are horrendous and as a result he will rarely halt an opposing rush and catch the opponent outnumbered during transition. His exceptional transition play, in a way, is empty and does not tip the offensive scales. In only 2 of the last 6 seasons (his CBJ seasons), his xG%rel was in the positives. In the same vein, in the past 3 years, his presence on the ice DID NOT effect CBJ's percentage of goals for at 5v5. It was exactly 53% with him on the ice vs off the ice. In his entire 9 season career, only 5 times has he outperformed a 51 xG%, and only thrice outperformed 52%. In other words, he's never been more than bang average at both suppressing opponents and manufacturing offense.

iLpnthO.jpg

Once he loses that half step as he approaches 30, the results could and will be disastrous. He'll no longer be able to rely on his good "point a to point b" skating to stay mask his poor check attachment while defending, likely leading to more chances against off the rush, not just entries allowed. On the PP, he is even a worse performer than someone like Subban, so it would be foolish to point to some sort of PP prowess to scratch and claw for value. Jones' PPxGF reached 10 in 6 of 9 seasons, with only 3 of those seasons above 15. PK only dropped BELOW 15 twice, delivering upwards of 25 xGF in 6 seasons, for example. PK's 6 seasons of 4 or more pp points/60 dwarf Jones' 3 seasons. Jones also has only 2 seasons under his belt of 90+ PPCF/60 while PK owns 10 seasons eclipsing that mark, including 5 seasons of >100.

In conclusion, lol Seth Jones.
This rant is wasted because there is no way Jim Devellano pays Jones $10M in the Quackverse. :p:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad