NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE EIGHT! Part One!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Here are some more details on her mission, the main point being that she very well might not have been caught if she hadn't twisted her ankle on landing in her parachute.

"After two aborted attempts, due to stormy weather on the night of 4/5 June and the abandonment of the intended landing ground on 5/6 June by the Resistance reception committee because of German patrols, Szabo and three colleagues were dropped by parachute from a USAAF Liberator flown from RAF Harrington in Northamptonshire onto a landing field near Sussac on the outskirts of Limoges early on 8 June 1944 (immediately following D-Day, and Tania Szabo's second birthday).

"Szabo was part of a four-person team sent to operate in the department of Haute Vienne with the circuit codename 'Salesman II', led by her SOE commander Philippe Liewer (now codenamed Hamlet), whose rolled-up Rouen circuit had been 'Salesman', and including Second Lieutenant Jean-Claude Guiet (codenames Claude and Virgile) of the US Army as wireless operator (W/O), and Bob Maloubier (alias Robert 'Bob' Mortier; codenames Clothaire and Paco), Violette and Liewer's friend and comrade of SOE who was to act as military instructor to the local Maquis, and who had worked as weapons instructor and explosives officer for Liewer on the original Salesman I circuit. For this mission, Szabo's cover was that she was a Mme Villeret, the young widow of an antiques dealer from Nantes. It is possible Szabo had twisted an ankle on landing.

"Upon arrival, she was sent to co-ordinate the activities of the local maquis in sabotaging communication lines during German attempts to stem the Normandy landings. When he arrived in the Limousin, Philippe Liewer found the local maquis to be poorly led and less prepared for action than he expected. To better co-ordinate Resistance activity against the Germans, he decided to send his courier, Szabo, as his liaison officer to the more active Maquis of Correze and the Dordogne, led by Jacques Poirier (SOE), head of the renamed Digger circuit, who had taken over from Harry Peulevé of the Author circuit, upon the latter's arrest. However, due to poor intelligence gathering by the local Resistance, Liewer was unaware that the 2nd SS Panzer Division was making its slow journey north to the Normandy battlefields through his area.

"At 9.30 am on 10 June Szabo set off on her mission, not inconspicuously by bicycle as Liewer would have preferred, but in a Citroen driven by a young maquis section leader, Jacques Dufour ('Anastasie'). He had insisted upon using the car, even though the Germans had forbidden the use of cars by the French after D-Day, to drive her half of the 100 kilometres (62 mi) of her journey. At her request to Liewer, Szabo was armed with a Sten gun and eight magazines of ammunition. She was dressed in a light suit, flat-heeled shoes and no stockings. On their way across the sunlit fields of south-central France they picked up Jean Bariaud, a 26-year-old Resistance friend of Dufour, who was meant to accompany them on the return journey.

"Their car raised the suspicions of German troops at an unexpected roadblock outside of Salon-la-Tour that had been set up to find Sturmbannführer Helmut Kämpfe, a battalion commander of the 2nd SS Panzer Division, who had been captured by the local resistance. When Dufour slowed the car, the unarmed Bariaud was able to escape and later warn the Salesman team of the arrest of his two companions.

"According to Minney and Vickers, when they had stopped, Szabo and Dufour leapt from the car, he to the left and she to the right and the cover of a tree, as Dufour opened fire. A gun battle ensued during which a woman emerging from a barn was killed by the Germans. As armoured cars arrived at the scene, Szabo crossed the road to join Dufour, and they leapt a gate, before running across a field towards a small stream. They then ran up a hill towards some trees, when Szabo fell and severely twisted an ankle. She refused Dufour's offer of help, urging him to flee, and, dragging herself to the edge of the cornfield, she struggled to an apple tree. Standing behind the tree, she then provided Dufour with covering fire, allowing him to make his escape to hide in a friend's barn.

"Szabo fought the Germans for thirty minutes, killing a corporal, possibly more, and wounding some others. Eventually, she ran out of ammunition and was captured by two men who dragged her up the hill to a bridge over a railway. She was hot, dishevelled, and in pain. Szabo was questioned by a young officer whose armoured car had drawn up nearby. She was then taken away. Szabo's captors were most likely from the 1st Battalion of 3rd SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment Deutschland (Das Reich Division) whose commanding officer was the missing Sturmbannführer Kämpfe."

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Let him who is without sin cast the first chicken nugget.

g04d.gif

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Have you guys ever checked how dirty your gas cap compartment gets? Just scrubbed that with a wet paper towel and dawn for the last 15 minutes. Was quite satisfying

Reactions: pit and BiggE

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
We would be remiss if we didn't take this opportunity to link one of our wildcards to a current category. As senior pets are notoriously difficult to find new homes for, we are grateful to see that there are numerous rescues committed to providing a safe place for them to wait for a forever home. And while it was tempting to pick all of them, the rules say we are only allowed to select one. Therefore, we will be partnering with the organization that might have done the most to raise awareness about these wonderful pets.

OFSDS_Logo.png

Team Charity: Old Friends Senior Dog Sanctuary

@GKJ

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm going to select Johann Gutenberg as a historical figure. I think A&E named him the person of the millennium as the inventor of the printing press. Where would this world be without a printing press? Probably only a few years behind what it is now since someone would've eventually figure it out - but he figured it out first and thus gets all the credit.

GutenbergGI-565b77815f9b5835e46dc18a.jpg

@Magua

by the way, @Beef Invictus I'm ready for a Disney song

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I'm going to select Johann Gutenberg as a historical figure. I think A&E named him the person of the millennium as the inventor of the printing press. Where would this world be without a printing press? Probably only a few years behind what it is now since someone would've eventually figure it out - but he figured it out first and thus gets all the credit.

GutenbergGI-565b77815f9b5835e46dc18a.jpg

@Magua

by the way, @Beef Invictus I'm ready for a Disney song
Tesla kept many of his patents in his head and laughs at your printing press.
We also do not have the patents today so, someone else has the last laugh.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Honolulu Ghibli announce the retroactive creation of our Major Indoor Soccer League franchise circa 1980......the "Maui Mononokicks."

tumblr_p98aifJTtV1wga4wmo1_540.gifv

Paying homage to the Ghibli masterpiece, Princess Mononoke. Our colors will be forest green (primary) and silver/crimson (secondary). Basically this gif! Our logo is Wolf Moro, shown above.

Animals, especially dogs, are near and dear to us. There are so many phenomenal organizations to reduce homelessness, dismantle mills, etc........and several wonderful charities already selected do just that.

The Ghibli want to shower attention on "Tiny Paws Rescue," a small dog rescue in the Philadelphia/Jersey area that fosters and medically provides for and works to provide permanent homes to the homeless, abandoned, and abused. But near to our heart, they have programs to provide fostered hospice care to terminally ill local dogs. Whether it's days or months, they make sure these little ones do NOT sit in shelters and have the final days they deserve.

Tiny Paws Rescue

But if there's one dang exception to "pick tipping," it's charity. The local connection and sizable outreach is why I chose Tiny Paws (especially when we lightly researched it before our adoptee's tumor surgeries), but I just want to shine a light on shelters that take on severely disabled pets. It's all noble, but that is so f***ing noble.

1.) This is "Pets with Disabilities" in Maryland, who only take on deaf, blind, deformed, and ailing dogs to find them a forever home or provide them one:

AboutPWD

2.) "Heath's Haven" in Idaho, who specializes in dogs with paralysis and mobility issues:

Heath's Haven Rescue

3.) And "Rolling Dog Farm" in New Hampshire, which has transitioned from an adoption/forever home hybrid to strictly a permanent home for those most in need. They have a wonderful blog that just oozes authenticity:

Rolling Dog Farm Blog - Rolling Dog Farm

@GKJ

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Good morning to all those who like to put fish sticks in their mouths.

a89d8f92657665c29d83dcfc33069551.gif

We start the day with @GKJ on the clock, @ajgoal on deck, @Lord Defect (genus Moronicus Massivus) on the lido deck, and yours truly sitting on the lido afterdeck growing more adorable by the nanosecond.

It feels to me like the chaos is drifting into havoc sometimes lately, so I just wanted to remind you to try to straddle that line without obscuring it. Remember that we are ideally trying to pick stuff we like to take with us and enjoy in the new world, not outsmart the minutiae of the phrasing in the categories. I couldn't care less if you screw yourselves over with your stash and end up sitting there on the (presumably) barren surface of a (presumably) vast new planet with nothing to do but eat fish sticks, but as we saw in the very first round of the very first phase of this whole thing, the structural integrity of the whole is threatened when the cart starts to veer off the rails. That's all that matters in the end - that we protect the draft. Everything else is nonsense, especially hockey.

Having said that, and apropos of nothing, anytime you want to name names by mentioning multiple animal charities, go for it - the more attention every single one of them gets, the better. We are pro-animal around here, and I will cut a bitch. If it helps you remember to support animal charities, you could practice by supporting local swag designers, or even designers from, for example, East Buttf*** Egypt. So basically tl;dr, shop until you drop. I AM A BUSINESSMAN! QUACK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad