NHL Making Contingency Plans for Arena-less Coyotes? (All Relo Speculation Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeTheNords

Jun 14, 2015
I was a bit surprised to hear that clip.

Its different from "we'll help the team, team will stay there etc.."

But doenst mean much more then what is heard.

I know, and the NHL is so good at talking from both side of the mouth

snowmobile

Jan 23, 2015
The reason NASCAR is failing is because they added the stupid playoff system to placate the new fans with ADD and serious psychological issues only watching to see crashes (hello even more restrictive plates) who were a small minority turning off fans like me who gained interest in the sport in the mid 90's when Gordon was dominating but can't stand the crap now.

You are preaching to the choir man. Couldn't peel me from the TV on Sundays from 01-03 cheering on Gordon. What they got now ain't racing.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The reason NASCAR is failing is because they added the stupid playoff system to placate the new fans with ADD and serious psychological issues only watching to see crashes (hello even more restrictive plates) who were a small minority turning off fans like me who gained interest in the sport in the mid 90's when Gordon was dominating but can't stand the crap now.

You are preaching to the choir man. Couldn't peel me from the TV on Sundays from 01-03 cheering on Gordon. What they got now ain't racing.
Agreed. Dale Earnhardt Sr, Goodwrench #3 Indy is back on top like how it's supposed to be.

I know, and the NHL is so good at talking from both side of the mouth
You have to be to be a 3 billion dollar organization.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I have a feeling Paul Allen has been lurking in the shadows on this. I also have a feeling that Quebec won't be getting a Western NHL team. If anything it will be an Eastern one. The Yotes to Portland would be awesome.
Bring on the Portland Pioneers. They can even keep the same colour scheme.

tadiran

Jun 7, 2010
Quebec city
I doubt its quebec given with what comments from the league about the imbalance issue.

Well what if they had always said that to prove that at the end, they really had no choice and this precisely proves that it was their last option ??

We can play in the western conference ... just like Winnipeg did by staying in the east in 2011 !!

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well what if they had always said that to prove that at the end, they really had no choice and this precisely proves that it was their last option ??

We can play in the western conference ... just like Winnipeg did by staying in the east in 2011 !!

Can we not compare winnipeg playing in the east and quebec playing in the west. Completely differnet situation in regards to geographical location and it was temporary that winnipeg played in east and thus realignment got them to the western conference there is no like i been saying realignment option to keep it 14 west 16 east and have quebec play in eastern conference.

They have actually have western city options. If NHL didn't want to move the coyotes to quebec 2 years ago why would the NHL want to move them there now?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

Can we not compare winnipeg playing in the east and quebec playing in the west. Completely differnet situation in regards to geographical location and it was temporary that winnipeg played in east and thus realignment got them to the western conference there is no like i been saying realignment option to keep it 14 west 16 east and have quebec play in eastern conference.

They have actually have western city options. If NHL didn't want to move the coyotes to quebec 2 years ago why would the NHL want to move them there now?
Let's be clear: QC is a flight nightmare. It just is. Having said that. Seattle has no arena, Portland is playing roulette and the league does not want to mess up its prized expansion with Vegas. What now?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Let's be clear: QC is a flight nightmare. It just is. Having said that. Seattle has no arena, Portland is playing roulette and the league does not want to mess up its prized expansion with Vegas. What now?

Two of those things are definitely true, the other two remain to be seen.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

It's a good question.

If quebec wasn't the far east part of canada and more central (but still eastern time zone) then there would been a different situation.

Seattle has no arena 2 years ago when we almost had the coyotes. Curious if the NHL is looking to trying that again.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
It's a good question.

If quebec wasn't the far east part of canada and more central (but still eastern time zone) then there would been a different situation.

Seattle has no arena 2 years ago when we almost had the coyotes. Curious if the NHL is looking to trying that again.

Tommy,

You are aware that QC is ETZ, not ATZ, correct?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Yes.

You missed my point. I was saying if Quebec wasn't far east but more west like above Michigan for example then its a different situation.

Actually, I didn't miss your point. I simply asked because your point was not clear. Your wording supported either interpretation, and I asked to clarify. Thank you.

It is my opinion that the League would much rather NOT relocate. If it is necessary to do so this year, I look for Quebec to be the obvious "we are ready and we will take them" choice. But, since there may be obstacles to approving QC, I look at Portland as a possible alternative. I don't see Seattle at this time. The arena situation there is still a moving target.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Actually, I didn't miss your point. I simply asked because your point was not clear. Your wording supported either interpretation, and I asked to clarify. Thank you.

It is my opinion that the League would much rather NOT relocate. If it is necessary to do so this year, I look for Quebec to be the obvious "we are ready and we will take them" choice. But, since there may be obstacles to approving QC, I look at Portland as a possible alternative. I don't see Seattle at this time. The arena situation there is still a moving target.

It's not as a much of a moving target this time as it was last time since we have a 100% privately arena plan going on in city of Tukwila for a NHL team. That's always been the issue is arena funding for a NHL team.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Two of those things are definitely true, the other two remain to be seen.
You should want no part of IA.

It's a good question.

It's not as a much of a moving target this time as it was last time since we have a 100% privately arena plan going on in city of Tukwila for a NHL team. That's always been the issue is arena funding for a NHL team.
But that's the thing. If Seattle had not dropped the ball, we would not even be talking about Quebec. But were waiting 6mos for the EA to come through, basically December. I hope Tukwila gets this done. There is no reason why the NHL should wait for Seattle or go into an Arizona Cardinals situation where they will be stuck at Key for 5 years.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Exactly the point about Seattle. 3 years at Key might add 100M more in losses to the investment needed. That makes the project more difficult.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
But that's the thing. If Seattle had not dropped the ball, we would not even be talking about Quebec. But were waiting 6mos for the EA to come through, basically December. I hope Tukwila gets this done. There is no reason why the NHL should wait for Seattle or go into an Arizona Cardinals situation where they will be stuck at Key for 5 years.

Difference is Tukwila is not Seattle politically. City of Tukwila wants the arena to be built (they will speed up the review process as possible) unlike Seatle which is they will allow it to be built on their terms and study and study and study it.

Even if there was NHL first funding for Sodo arena. It would still be about 6 months until the master use permit is granted based on Murray's timeline.

Exactly the point about Seattle. 3 years at Key might add 100M more in losses to the investment needed. That makes the project more difficult.

Ray B was willing to take on that risk. He's taking up more risk now than he was gonna 2 years ago.

If the choice was no home in Glendale or 3 years at key arena which would been more than enough time to get a new arena done with Hansen and SCC then they would have gone 3 years at Key arena.

Last edited:

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
All the financials aside.....image. The NHL has been chasing a big tv deal, doesn't look too good when you're broadcasting games where only 11,000 decided to show up. Makes for bad tv and makes the league look bad as a whole.

Toronto Blue Jays average 29000 in a stadium with capacity for 49000...Chicago Cubs average 32000 in a stadium with capacity for 41000...New York Yankees average 40000 in a stadium that holds 49000.

Based on your opinion no one in these markets will watch the games based on the fact that these stadiums have a significant amount of empty seats.

If you compare the Yankees average attendance/capacity to Las Vegas you would have 11500 average. Since they sold 13000 plus season tickets I believe you need to find a new argument.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm not sure they have to be involved.

However, if they don't wind up here hopefully it's Foley's call or they're gone to Quebec.

If they don't wind up in Vegas. Then its either Portland or Seattle. I do not see NHL changing their minds on Quebec.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto Blue Jays average 29000 in a stadium with capacity for 49000...Chicago Cubs average 32000 in a stadium with capacity for 41000...New York Yankees average 40000 in a stadium that holds 49000.

Based on your opinion no one in these markets will watch the games based on the fact that these stadiums have a significant amount of empty seats.

If you compare the Yankees average attendance/capacity to Las Vegas you would have 11500 average. Since they sold 13000 plus season tickets I believe you need to find a new argument.

Nobody watches baseball for the atmosphere in the stands in the first place. Whether it's an empty seat or a guy sitting on his fat can quietly eating a hot dog makes little difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad