NHL Making Contingency Plans for Arena-less Coyotes? (All Relo Speculation Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
got proof? or is this plain opinion? :shakehead

with the move to the OHL, it seems like Hamilton is poising for a shot with a team. And unlike Quebec they can play it west for a bit. :nod:
of course he has no proof. he has no arena either. in fact, seattle has nothing. and yet he thinks he's the charmed one.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Two things

1 - Of course, if the building of an arena in Sea would have begun, there was no question.

2 - Lots of rumours on the hottest return of nords web as Coyotes are in Qc 2015, but guys, this can worth strictly nothing. Lets just say many folks there are playing their reputation and not citing sources. (PS they can certainly lose their reputation lol..)

But, seems logical to me NHL will not take the risk, and will move team to its major french media partner.

I'd say the Yotes are moving east. Not ideal but at least, you dont fold the franchise. I always thought Win and Qc were emergency landing pods.

Now, Gary will have no more of those landing pods. Where will go Car and FLA if needed? (Easy answer of course)

In the end, not so sure expansion will take place.

Thats exactly what Daly say, fortunately we have cities ready to have a team, was it expansion or relocation.

Last edited:

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
It's a good question.

If quebec wasn't the far east part of canada and more central (but still eastern time zone) then there would been a different situation.

Seattle has no arena 2 years ago when we almost had the coyotes. Curious if the NHL is looking to trying that again.

I'm just going to point out that Toronto - Qc is a 45 min flight time. And I've been on a commercial flight having done just that, more than once. And we're not even talking about private jets who have much more liberty in their flight plans.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I'm just going to point out that Toronto - Qc is a 45 min flight time. And I've been on a commercial flight having done just that, more than once. And we're not even talking about private jets who have much more liberty in their flight plans.

Capture_zpsqcafirff.png

Wow, planes must be a lot slower these days.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Difference is Tukwila is not Seattle politically. City of Tukwila wants the arena to be built (they will speed up the review process as possible) unlike Seatle which is they will allow it to be built on their terms and study and study and study it.

Even if there was NHL first funding for Sodo arena. It would still be about 6 months until the master use permit is granted based on Murray's timeline.

Ray B was willing to take on that risk. He's taking up more risk now than he was gonna 2 years ago.

If the choice was no home in Glendale or 3 years at key arena which would been more than enough time to get a new arena done with Hansen and SCC then they would have gone 3 years at Key arena.
Seattle could have had this done by Feburary and had the shovels in the ground next week. This should have been done last year. If the NHL chooses Quebec, it's because Seattle dropped the ball.

I'm not sure they have to be involved.

However, if they don't wind up here hopefully it's Foley's call or they're gone to Quebec.
I don't get why Vegas would want this broken franchise. Get someting new, something fresh and make you're own legacy.

If they don't wind up in Vegas. Then its either Portland or Seattle. I do not see NHL changing their minds on Quebec.
See above.
Toronto Blue Jays average 29000 in a stadium with capacity for 49000...Chicago Cubs average 32000 in a stadium with capacity for 41000...New York Yankees average 40000 in a stadium that holds 49000.

Based on your opinion no one in these markets will watch the games based on the fact that these stadiums have a significant amount of empty seats.

If you compare the Yankees average attendance/capacity to Las Vegas you would have 11500 average. Since they sold 13000 plus season tickets I believe you need to find a new argument.
Who's saying Vegas will be a bad market other then you bringing it up? I believe every has acknowledged your last point.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

with the move to the OHL, it seems like Hamilton is poising for a shot with a team. And unlike Quebec they can play it west for a bit. :nod:

of course he has no proof. he has no arena either. in fact, seattle has nothing. and yet he thinks he's the charmed one.
GS I like that you are there whenever someone mentions Hamilton :laugh:. But seriously, you don't think Balsillie got the market blacklisted for a bit? And the NHL has nothing in the PNW, they have 2 teams within 40 minutes of Hamilton.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I get that. I get why the league would want to be more popular with the masses. What I don't get is why a regular hockey fan would want that.

Well that's understandable from an analysis standpoint. Like I said, I just don't understand why regular fans would embrace the league's perspective. Do you really prefer empty arenas and indifferent atmosphere in Sunrise and Glendale to full arenas and electric atmosphere in Winnipeg?

Think about it this way....

You're a casual prospective hockey fan in Phoenix.... who are you more excited to watch the Coyotes play? The Edmonton Oilers/Winnipeg Jets, or the New York Rangers / Chicago Blackhawks? There's a prestige and natural interest associated with representing a major US market...

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Can we not compare winnipeg playing in the east and quebec playing in the west. Completely differnet situation in regards to geographical location and it was temporary that winnipeg played in east and thus realignment got them to the western conference there is no like i been saying realignment option to keep it 14 west 16 east and have quebec play in eastern conference.

They have actually have western city options. If NHL didn't want to move the coyotes to quebec 2 years ago why would the NHL want to move them there now?

Ummm mm 2 years ago quebec arena looked exactly like seattle's ( either one) foes now?

Quebec City in the west isn't going to permanent, but however long they are in the west ( as other balls in the air are caught or fall to the ground) they will carry that weight.

Carolinas owner had already indicated his plans to sell, Florida is teetering. These will resolve themselves, so you can deny QC and award a team to cheapo Paul Allen who is allegedly capped 200 million short, the feeling seattle's or Las vegas and hope for the best. Of you can go QC in the west for a while and cross one team from the "struggling" category for good.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I don't get why Vegas would want this broken franchise. Get someting new, something fresh and make you're own legacy.

A lot of the relocated teams basically left their legacy in their old city. Both Colorado and Carolina went as far as to unretire numbers. An expansion team takes years to get good and that's if you execute almost flawlessly. With this team you have a couple of pieces already and 3 of the first 32 picks in one of the best drafts in years.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Capture_zpsqcafirff.png

Wow, planes must be a lot slower these days.

That's exactly why I mentioned commercial flights. Air to ground speed is set to a maximum of 400 knots. Private flights can do it at a common ''catch up speed'' of 440 to 480 knots.

In your example, the plan is to fly at 320 kts...that's less than 400 mph. And if you track the history just of the first flight, AC8910, on average it takes 1:20 min and did it even in 1:12 in the last 10 days.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Think about it this way....

You're a casual prospective hockey fan in Phoenix.... who are you more excited to watch the Coyotes play? The Edmonton Oilers/Winnipeg Jets, or the New York Rangers / Chicago Blackhawks? There's a prestige and natural interest associated with representing a major US market...

Honestly I just checked this season's attendance figures in Glendale for all four opponents. Winnipeg and Chicago got almost the exact same figure, the Oilers drew an abysmal 11k but the Rangers didn't do much better, so I don't think it makes all that much difference.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Honestly I just checked this season's attendance figures in Glendale for all four opponents. Winnipeg and Chicago got almost the exact same figure, the Oilers drew an abysmal 11k but the Rangers didn't do much better, so I don't think it makes all that much difference.

Yet, Anthony LeBlanc shouts this...

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
A lot of the relocated teams basically left their legacy in their old city. Both Colorado and Carolina went as far as to unretire numbers. An expansion team takes years to get good and that's if you execute almost flawlessly. With this team you have a couple of pieces already and 3 of the first 32 picks in one of the best drafts in years.
True, but the management baggage aqib. I don't even live in greater Phoenix and I don't want to be anywhere near IA. I imagine Foley does not either. In this case sending them to QC would be a good idea because the pressure to get better fast would be there.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009

No proof for me but its highly highly unlikely that the nhl will move a team to a city aving with what will be the oldest arena in the league ( i believe only det and edm are older but they have started building new ones)

Last edited:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Thread size limit reached.

If you guys want to continue speculating about NHL contingencies/options, someone can start a Part II.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad