NHL makes 12-year/$5.2 billion Canadian TV deal w/ Sportsnet, CBC licensing, TSN out

Status
Not open for further replies.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
Two questions I still have:

1) Why is the NO BLACKOUT talk limited to Wed/Sat/Sun? Oilers @ Avalanche on say a Tuesday night, does all of Canada get to see it? Or just SportsNet regional channel will carry it?

2) Jets - still on TSN right? If so, I wonder if TSN changes those to national games or if they are not allowed to

I don't get question # 1 at all. Why do they specify Wed/Sat/Sun

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Thank god I have rds as an alternative for my team. Never thought I'd say that, but cbc offers zero substance in their broadcasts and sportsnet is a high school production. I have zero incentive to watch either.

Agree 100% on the bolded. Sportsnet looks like a public access show IMO and I keep expecting Wayne & Garth to show up. Now that I think of it, Wayne & Garth would probably be a pretty significant upgrade on Kypreous & Maclean.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Did anyone catch what was meant by no more blackouts? Would regional Jets, Leafs and Habs games which TSN owns the rights for be broadcast nationally?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Just had time to look over this and I have to say I am shocked. Rogers won here for sure. I really have to saw TSN dropped the ball and now all they are left with is ping pong

What I will think will happen.
1) This is the end of HNIC as we know it

Contrary to popular belief, the whole country does not love HNIC, espcially out west where they are force fed the leafs. HNIC will be cable only starting in 2018, on Sportsnet

2) TSN will scale back

TSN is the whole reason the CFL is big. The CFL drew peanuts (go look at ratings before 2005) and TSN pays a pittance now. More people watch sports from Sepetember -March as it's cold outside. The CFL is also gate driven. I think TSN will pay more for CFL rights but they will also be on more rocky ground. Hockey is king and number 1, the CFL cannot carry TSN and neither can any American sports. Funny thing is the CFL was more then happy to abandon the CBC.

3) The sports landscape will change

Rogers is not a good company. Bad service, bad product. The rest of Canada is about to see that, and it won't be interesting. Prices will go up and up. Rogers will lessen hockey's grip on this country, especially out east where there is more interests in other sports.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Hey look, Hockey Central is now on. Look closely people, that's what you're getting for the next 13 years....

Yup.... CRAP for the next 13 years and me very likely having to pay more to watch it.

Not sure why people think SN is going to hire people from TSN to do the hockey... SN has what is known as a monopoly which means they don't have to spend anything improving the product. They could have animated stick figures doing their hockey games now and you will have to live with it.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

1) Why is the NO BLACKOUT talk limited to Wed/Sat/Sun? Oilers @ Avalanche on say a Tuesday night, does all of Canada get to see it? Or just SportsNet regional channel will carry it?

2) Jets - still on TSN right? If so, I wonder if TSN changes those to national games or if they are not allowed to

I guess that answers my question. They have exclusive national Canadian team rights on Wed, Sat, and Sunday., Outside those days it would be the regional carrier that shows it ie TSN Jets,

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
TSN is majorly reliant on hockey. This isn't just a move-onto-the-next-thing type of situation for them, it looks like a major blow.

Maybe that's all you watch, but no. It was their most important and valuable asset for sure, but Sportsnet will probably have to drop basketball, CHL and CIS to make room for the NHL which TSN can scoop up.

It's blow, but one they can recover from.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Not everyone will move over.

It's gonna be an interesting summer in terms of who goes where. All of the CBC crew and then some of the TSN crew will be in the running for a smaller pool of jobs.

Dreger/Mckenzie will stick with TSN for a bit I believe. TSN will still try and give a lot of coverage on Sportscentre, That's Hockey, etc. LeBrun may move over, he's more of a freelancer.

Cuthbert/Miller will stay with TSN as long as their contracts run as they both do CFL games as well.

With very little games to do, one of Ferraro/Johnson will get let go and probably resurface with Rogers.

Not sure what will happen with Duthie, probably depends on how long he under contract for.

Ward is almost a sure bet to jump ship IMO. Doesn't fit without TSN having games.

I hope some stay, and hopefully TSN will still do Trade Deadline and The Draft.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Terrible news. Sportsnet truly blows. I mean maybe they'll step their game up but I doubt it. They carry Jays games nationally and they blow just as bad as everything else the network shows.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
I guess that answers my question. They have exclusive national Canadian team rights on Wed, Sat, and Sunday., Outside those days it would be the regional carrier that shows it ie TSN Jets,

Does anyone know if TSN have any Regional Rights other than the Jets?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yo NHL, we're giving you a massive tv contract for a crappier product, throw us a bone here (8th franchise in Canada)

Should be at least two more, Quebec City and a Southern Ontario based team (TO2 or Hamilton)!

But then again televising games in southern based US cities with teams playing before empty rinks looks better on TV, ask Gary!:rant:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Maybe that's all you watch, but no. It was their most important and valuable asset for sure, but Sportsnet will probably have to drop basketball, CHL and CIS to make room for the NHL which TSN can scoop up.

It's blow, but one they can recover from.

No, it's not all I watch, but it's what most Canadians probably tune into TSN for. Scooping up CIS and CHL is a good consolation for them? Yikes.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

The Blackouts are still in effect, but! with the games now being broadcast on City, SN1, Sportsnet 360 you're not going to really miss any games. For example on a Tuesday night you may get a Canucks-Sharks game on Sportsnet West so it'll be blacked out on SNO, SNE, SNW but there will be games on SN1 or Sportsnet 360 depending on other sports programming. So although you're missing out on a good match-up you may make it up on another channel. It's something totally brand new and TSN can't even say they did something like that. TSN2 is nice and all but Sportsnet brings it to a new level.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
Let's not forget this isn't JUST about the Canadian teams. Though Canadian teams are of course a priority.

"The deal gives Rogers national rights to all NHL games, including the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final, on all of its platforms in all languages."

Rogers can throw up Pens/Hawks no problem. But I'm still confused as hell with the Wed/Sat/Sun talk, when they have NATIONAL rights to ALL games.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011

To encourage people to sign up for Centre Ice and regional channels like TSN Jets
or Leafs TV etc. If games were every night, people would no longer want those
channels. NHL still has to respect the deals teams signed with those channels.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Just had time to look over this and I have to say I am shocked. Rogers won here for sure. I really have to saw TSN dropped the ball and now all they are left with is ping pong

What I will think will happen.
1) This is the end of HNIC as we know it

Contrary to popular belief, the whole country does not love HNIC, espcially out west where they are force fed the leafs. HNIC will be cable only starting in 2018, on Sportsnet

2) TSN will scale back

TSN is the whole reason the CFL is big. The CFL drew peanuts (go look at ratings before 2005) and TSN pays a pittance now. More people watch sports from Sepetember -March as it's cold outside. The CFL is also gate driven. I think TSN will pay more for CFL rights but they will also be on more rocky ground. Hockey is king and number 1, the CFL cannot carry TSN and neither can any American sports. Funny thing is the CFL was more then happy to abandon the CBC.

3) The sports landscape will change

Rogers is not a good company. Bad service, bad product. The rest of Canada is about to see that, and it won't be interesting. Prices will go up and up. Rogers will lessen hockey's grip on this country, especially out east where there is more interests in other sports.
The West Coast may not like HNIC because of its East coast bias, but we enjoy it far more than the overall turdfest that is Sportsnet.

hockeyGod

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Can anyone fill me in on what this no blackout thing is. Does that mean on my gamecenter I don't have to suffer through garret and shorty. Or does it mean that I can now watch SN Ontario. I personally plan on never having cable again after this deal. I see what's going on and it doesn't smell very good. Rogers is a bad corporation that will ******* their customers whenever they can.

So is center ice/gamecenter going to be policed more starting next year or will it be wide open?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Let's not forget this isn't JUST about the Canadian teams. Though Canadian teams are of course a priority.

"The deal gives Rogers national rights to all NHL games, including the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final, on all of its platforms in all languages."

Rogers can throw up Pens/Hawks no problem. But I'm still confused as hell with the Wed/Sat/Sun talk, when they have NATIONAL rights to ALL games.

They will have national rights to all Canadian teams on Wed, Sat and Sun. Outside those days the games will be broadcast on the local rights holders. This is important since the local rights are sold by the team and kept as lcoal revneue where as national rights are split amongst all teams.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=693152&navid=DL|NHL|home

This article says the following:

"The agreement guarantees that there will be no further regionalization of games or local blackouts. Rogers has three exclusive windows to broadcast any game involving a Canadian team -- Wednesday nights, Saturday nights (including CBC) and Sunday nights."

If they have NATIONAL rights to ALL games, why is there a need for the three "exclusive windows"? :dunno:

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
This probably the end of the NHL being big in Canada, Rogers will make you pay for everything so long nhl.

If by the NHL you mean TSN, then yes. I highly doubt the best league in the most popular sport of the country loses it's edge in Canada due to a TV contract.

Rogers owns everything, screw Rogers and their crappy services. Aren't they trying to buy the Buffalo Bills too?

Not if Jon Bon Jovi has anything to say about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad