NHL makes 12-year/$5.2 billion Canadian TV deal w/ Sportsnet, CBC licensing, TSN out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacos

Wheeeee
Feb 26, 2012
My take:

Yay, more pizza parties and Eklund at the trade deadline on three different networks

Due to the sheer cost of the deal, Rogers is unable to provide the manpower for three different networks to run separate games so all of Canada will now watch the Leafs on RSN, CBC and TVA

In T-Minus 72 hours, Rogers will own hfboards and all Leaf related trade proposals will be auto-forwarded to Bettman with the subject heading of:
For your "consideration"
and the text body being:
Make this happen

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Is TSN allowed to put out NHL-related programming? I'm thinking they either throw in the towel, or get seriously creative with things. I'm guessing they repackage themselves as the SOURCE for all hockey analysis. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but I could see them start producing content like HBO 24/7, etc.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Just had time to look over this and I have to say I am shocked. Rogers won here for sure. I really have to saw TSN dropped the ball and now all they are left with is ping pong

What I will think will happen.
1) This is the end of HNIC as we know it

Contrary to popular belief, the whole country does not love HNIC, espcially out west where they are force fed the leafs. HNIC will be cable only starting in 2018, on Sportsnet

2) TSN will scale back

TSN is the whole reason the CFL is big. The CFL drew peanuts (go look at ratings before 2005) and TSN pays a pittance now. More people watch sports from Sepetember -March as it's cold outside. The CFL is also gate driven. I think TSN will pay more for CFL rights but they will also be on more rocky ground. Hockey is king and number 1, the CFL cannot carry TSN and neither can any American sports. Funny thing is the CFL was more then happy to abandon the CBC.

3) The sports landscape will change

Rogers is not a good company. Bad service, bad product. The rest of Canada is about to see that, and it won't be interesting. Prices will go up and up. Rogers will lessen hockey's grip on this country, especially out east where there is more interests in other sports.

The new TSN CFL contract starts in 2014. TSN had to pay a lot more this time around. The CFL left CBC because CBC didn't show enough games. They only started airing CFL games about half way through the season.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
http://www.northernstrategy.gc.ca/cns/cns-eng.asp

So According to the map on the page above there are about 37 "populated places" (North Pole?) so at $1 billion/year we spend $27 million/year/populated place to provide CBC to these people.

(I am being somewhat facetious, but the access to those who don't have access othewise" arguement died in the late 70's, it's merely a zombie arguement trotted out to justify the grant to those who don't want to think critically)

Yes, you are being facetious.

You are also focusing on only one part of the mandate CBC has been given that a private broadcaster would not have to adhere to.

Also, there is no critical thinking involved when trotting out the similarly tired (and pedantic) conservative talking points against the CBC.

Just because it wasn't spent on fighter jets, an artificial lake for a summit we didn't need, doesn't mean it isn't worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad