NHL makes 12-year/$5.2 billion Canadian TV deal w/ Sportsnet, CBC licensing, TSN out

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
Sportsnet has been and will continue to be absolutely terrible. The production value on TSN was by far the best of any network and I am going to miss that dearly. No more Bobby Mac between periods? :(
When everyone from TSN moves over, won't that presumably improve the product?

DyerMaker66*

So I'm pretty much screwed as a Panthers fan living in Ontario. Rogers doesn't offer cable services in my location, only Bell and Shaw.

I get all Sportsnet channels and I am subscribed to Bell.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
So I'm pretty much screwed as a Panthers fan living in Ontario. Rogers doesn't offer cable services in my location, only Bell and Shaw.

Rogers will resell to Bell and Shaw. I would guarantee it in regions they don't have a cable presence, and virtually guarantee it in their home cable regions (although there will likely be incentives to switch to Rogers in these areas).

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Bye Don?

Mike Zeisberger ‏@Zeisberger 10m
Asked about Cherry's future, Keith Pelley only said that all aspects would be examined. "Right now we're just celebrating this day." #NHL

Bettman stepped in right after that though and lightly threatened essentially saying, Don is a big part of the NHL, and is highly valued by the league and SN better not cut Don.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011

Just a guess but I'm sure you will still get it. For example TSN Jets is available on
Shaw despite Bell\TSN owning the channel.

The question will be, what will Rogers charge for Centre Ice? In theory it should
drop in price with less game now on Centre Ice and more on a National basis.

The NHL will have to work schedules around agreements. For example the Jets
will probably not get many Wed, Sat and Sun games as they have an agreement
for the next 8 years with TSN Jets to carry a certain amount of games.

JulianHopper*

So what does all this mean for TSN? Do they just show the NBC feed games like they do now? Or no NHL Hockey?

Hopefully the overall Sportsnet telecast will improve now.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Rogers and Bell (and Telus, to a lesser extent) are pretty much exactly like a cartel: Teaming up to **** over the consumer.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
So what does all this mean for TSN? Do they just show the NBC feed games like they do now? Or no NHL Hockey?

Hopefully the overall Sportsnet telecast will improve now.

Only regional broadcasts of the Jets games on weeknights other than Wednesdays are the only guaranteed games they will have past the end of this season.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I would love it if TSN picked up CHL rights and started doing for them what they did for the CFL.

This is such a huge game changer though. Who knows if TSN will even be able to maintain the talent/production that helped them turn the CFL around.

So you basically want TSN to become Sportnet but with the CFL rights.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
That is wonderful for you. Part of the reason for CBC's mandate is servicing areas that don't have much choice.

Could you name this mythical area of Canada for me, I've been looking high and low for it for years (Hint: this is the satellite age, now go find it.)

[spoil]Answer: IT DOESN'T EXIST[/spoil]

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
As long as Rogers promises to make a huge overhaul of Sportsnet, I'm fine with this deal. Its just that the fact they're leasing their rights to CBC kinda makes it feel so insecure when CBC's rights to the Cup Finals ends in 4 years. I mean if the Cup Finals are aired on Sportsnet, unless they air it on CityTV, people without basic cable won't be able to watch the game...

DyerMaker66*

Yes! Bettman just said "You can watch what you want"; I'm very happy about this.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
So what does all this mean for TSN? Do they just show the NBC feed games like they do now?

It will be interesting to see what happens to those NBC games...does anyone recall if TSN during the 1998-2002 period without NHL rights was allowed to show ESPN national games in Canada? That would be the equivalent.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I get all Sportsnet channels and I am subscribed to Bell.

Shaw and Bell have Sportsnet channels, I realize this. I'm inquiring about Center Ice, which is currently offered on Shaw and Bell...if Rogers has sole control of it, how are Bell and Shaw able to offer it?

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Only regional broadcasts of the Jets games on weeknights other than Wednesdays are the only guaranteed games they will have past the end of this season.

The Jets signed a 10 year contract with TSN of which after this year, 7 years
remain and they have to allow TSN Jets to show a certain amount of games.
They will just make sure the Jets don't play that many games on Wed, Sat and Suns
to honour their contract with TSN.

Marns

Jul 31, 2006
Toronto, ON
www.thestretchpass.com
As long as Rogers promises to make a huge overhaul of Sportsnet, I'm fine with this deal. Its just that the fact they're leasing their rights to CBC kinda makes it feel so insecure when CBC's rights to the Cup Finals ends in 4 years. I mean if the Cup Finals are aired on Sportsnet, unless they air it on CityTV, people without basic cable won't be able to watch the game...

That's my main concern as well. After the four years is up, what happens?

Also, anyone else feel the need to punch Darren Millard in the shnoz listening to this press conference? Couldn't have his head more up bettman's a if he tried.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
You know watching Gary Bettman up there with the Rogers execs, it makes me think this is like Doctor Doom teaming up with Hydra. You just know nothing good is going to come of it...

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
So you basically want TSN to become Sportnet but with the CFL rights.

Well without the NHL that is basically what TSN will become anyway.

But frankly, I think TSN could/would do a better job with junior hockey than Sportsnet has ever done. RJ Broadhead and Damien Cox have never exactly screamed "hockey expertise and professionalism". I don't think SNET could have turned the CFL or the WJHC into what TSN has created.

Asif16*

I dont want to go through the whole thread.

Can someone quickly just give me a summary of whats going to happen starting next season and what this deal means? Please and Thank You

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
So no more regional games on Saturdays nights... Theres CBC, Sports net and all of there channels will be able to watch teams other then just the maple leafs in canada so i guess thats a plus

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yes! Bettman just said "You can watch what you want"; I'm very happy about this.

Bettman also said the Phoenix Coyotes were financially stable.

There is, nor has there ever been any reason to believe the things that Gary Bettman says.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Rogers will resell to Bell and Shaw. I would guarantee it in regions they don't have a cable presence, and virtually guarantee it in their home cable regions (although there will likely be incentives to switch to Rogers in these areas).

Thank you. Hopefully you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad