NHL makes 12-year/$5.2 billion Canadian TV deal w/ Sportsnet, CBC licensing, TSN out

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Honestly, CBC sucks at sports. They killed the CFL, while TSN resurrected it. Old people watch CBC and Sportsnet, young people watch TSN.

It would be a huge blow for the NHL to not be on TSN. That would be like the NHL choosing not to be on ESPN. TSN = ESPN of Canada.

And obviously, TSN treats hockey like royalty (unlike ESPN).

FakeKidPoker*

Sportsnet broadcasts seem a little low now because all they have is regional.

They had national they'd beef it up... in this business I'm sure we'd see plenty of TSN guys jump ship rather quick.

Wonder if Darren Dreger would crawl back to Sportsnet.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Josh ‏@CdnSportsMedia 1m
Massive news about NHL TV contracts coming out this evening. Sounds as though TSN is out and CBC and Sportsnet will pick up rights.

Milan the God*

Yikes.

I'm not a fan of HNIC, personally. But at the same time, I definitely don't want to see CBC lose hockey games. I don't really enjoy their commentators, their intermissions are alright. But there's something about it. The Sens beat the Red Wings twice this year. Once 6-1 (on Sportsnet) and once 4-2 (on HNIC). The HNIC just seemed more special and more memorable.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Are you joking? Cbc is horrible, they hire ex bruin and leaf players and that's all they talk about leafs and bruins, while paying lip service to the other teams, it is no longer watchable

I think we can all agree that each channel has their own horrible hires (ex. Healy, McLennan [who still struggles to form coherent sentences], most people on Sportnset).

FakeKidPoker*

Josh ‏@CdnSportsMedia 1m
Massive news about NHL TV contracts coming out this evening. Sounds as though TSN is out and CBC and Sportsnet will pick up rights.

YES WE DID!

No more Maggie!!

No MORE GORD MILLER!

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
it wouldn't make any sense for TSN to be out of it. Their network is built around the NHL. Without them their prize winter/spring property is the NBA, which doesn't get much in the way of ratings in Canada.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
But if it's true that national Canadian monies are disbursed preferentially to the Canadian teams (65/35 split in Forbes report), couldn't there be a case for the US BOG not being as enamored of expansion in Canada? Expansion doesn't happen very frequently, nor does relocation.

It is true, I remember the report as well.

I don't remember whether it was 65/35 or another mix.

However, Canadian teams have far more national games (which, of course, go into HRR as opposed to a team's coffers) than their American counterparts, meaning a good chunk of that broadcast revenue inherently needs to land back in their pockets.

I'm inclined to agree... I don't think it would "pain" Bob to report CTV beat CBC in getting the rights because most of the TSN staff would just land their anyway. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and how many TSN people go over to Sportsnet if this is the case... TSN's hockey coverage blows Sportsnet's away by miles, and I think most people would agree.

I'm thinking TSN as well, keeping in mind the article in the OP:
Sources said that TSN’s reluctance to pay substantially more has been the biggest stumbling block in the league’s overall negotiations with the Canadian networks

Rogers has said for years they are determined to overtake Bell as "Canada's Sports Leader" and this could be quite the coup for them. Not only acquiring national NHL rights but doing so at the expense of their archrival. Sportsnet already has the Jays (along with associated MLB rights), they have the NFL, they have IndyCar, they're assembling quite the lineup.

Last edited:

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
Josh ‏@CdnSportsMedia 1m

Yeah McKenzie's tweet sounded like TSN lost out.

Jacob8hockey*

Jesus, If TSN is out than Rogers Sportsnet better do a major house cleaning and make their station more professional. Drop the rogers and just call it Sportsnet would be a start.

Next i hope that HNIC picks up most of the TSN crew and hopefully they picked up Wed games too. TSN is going to be weird without games

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
You people should be celebrating!!!

No more of Duthies sarcasm, ferraros pot shots from between the benches, jeff o'neils outburst on the panel, etc etc. This is a great day for Canada lol. :yo: :yo: :yo:

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
"Pains me to report this, but NHL closing in on landmark CDN TV deal with two CDN networks. Many years (10+), many billions. #overandout" - Bobby Mac.

I am shocked. No one at the table has deeper pockets than Bell. And it looks like they're the ones out.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This would really suck. IMO, TSN broadcasts are the best. Duthie, McKenzie, and LeBrun (when he's on) make the intermission shows a must watch as well.

Like someone else said, maybe Sportsnet will beef up their coverage when they're doing national games and not just regional. Hire new and unbiased broadcasters for those games. Maybe steal the good TSN talent as well.

That's if TSN is out completely, which I find really hard to believe.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
CBC closes in on pricey deal with NHL to keep rights to Hockey Night in Canada
Globe and Mail - STEVE LADURANTAYE
Monday, Nov. 25 2013 11:32 PM EST
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-with-nhl/article15599786/#dashboard/follows/

"CBC is expected to pay up to $200-million a year, almost double its current fee, to keep Hockey Night in Canada, sources said. President Hubert Lacroix hinted at the end of the broadcaster’s annual public meeting last month that a deal was imminent, and sources said it could be wrapped up in the next two weeks."

FakeKidPoker*

‏@dowbboy 2m

NHL has not always been pleased with TSN. Friction has led to this moment. TSN still has NHL properties but it’s going to be near-run thing

TOG26

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
God if this means more hockey on Sportsnet, we all lose. What a bush league broadcast they have. No one with any insight on the channel. Nick Kypreos is the best out of the bunch....

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
TSN is simply put the only respectable sports channel in Canada.

Their hype machine is also crazy. If the NHL snubs them, make no mistake, they will hype the NBA beyond what any Canadian can imagine. It'll be very easy for them to do it, too; they can just follow ESPN's lead.

They single-handedly saved the dying CFL; dug deep into the Earth, found its corpse, and gave it life.

The NHL would be making a big mistake by leaving TSN.

CBC is a good choice to retain the really old fans. But among young sports fans in Canada, folks like Jay & Dan meant way more than Ron & Don.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad