NHL makes 12-year/$5.2 billion Canadian TV deal w/ Sportsnet, CBC licensing, TSN out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm thinking that CBC is out.

That's what I thought when I first saw his tweet as well. "Pains me to report" because HNIC on CBC has been around forever and we all grew up with it.

Can't imagine TSN being out.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm afraid that's what Bob McKenzie is hinting towards, CBC being out. Hoping that TSN picks up HNIC if that is the case. Wonder what this means for the HNIC crew and who TSN will pickup from them if they do end up getting Saturday nights.

FakeKidPoker*

If true and CBC and Sportsnet get the majority of games this is great news for us tv watchers in Canada.

TSN has been doing a very poor job for years now and need to step their game up.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Why can't we just be normal and have a station per team?

Pretty bad that it's easier for those 3 Panthers games to get Florida on their TV than it is for Canadian fans to get their teams nation wide.

cyril*

I'm afraid that's what Bob McKenzie is hinting towards, CBC being out. Hoping that TSN picks up HNIC if that is the case. Wonder what this means for the HNIC crew and who TSN will pickup from them if they do end up getting Saturday nights.

Wherever HNIC ends up, hopefully Elliotte Friedman follows as well.

brec7

Nov 28, 2006
Sydney, NS
It's gotta be CBC and sportsnet.

I'm inclined to agree... I don't think it would "pain" Bob to report CTV beat CBC in getting the rights because most of the TSN staff would just land their anyway. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and how many TSN people go over to Sportsnet if this is the case... TSN's hockey coverage blows Sportsnet's away by miles, and I think most people would agree.

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012
I'm not sure how you can read that tweet, re-read the OP and think it's CBC losing out and not the network whose "reluctance to pay substantially more has been the biggest stumbling block in the league’s overall negotiations with the Canadian networks"

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
If true and CBC and Sportsnet get the majority of games this is great news for us tv watchers in Canada.

TSN has been doing a very poor job for years now and need to step their game up.

I disagree completely. There isn't a single station I hate watching Hockey more on than Sportsnet. It just seems so 2nd rate when compared to the others.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
There's not a chance tsn isnt involved. They've built the network around the nhl. They do everything from draft coverage to their own fantasy draft special.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not a fan of Sportsnet broadcasts, but they would have ten years to poach talent from TSN.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Loving the new direction of the nhl :facepalm: soon will be a hittless figure skating competition aired on the worst network possible

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
I'm glad CBC isn't taking too many steps back. Hockey Night in Canada is far more entertaining than anything TSN or SN can deliver IMO.

CBC is just better at providing analysis, commentary, and intermission filler.

Are you joking? Cbc is horrible, they hire ex bruin and leaf players and that's all they talk about leafs and bruins, while paying lip service to the other teams, it is no longer watchable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad