NHL logo rankings No. 17: Edmonton Oilers

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh i'm not saying i agree, i think it's absurd too. The Redskins are the only one i see an argument against guven they actually are named after the colour of the skin, but i mostly just see it as Native culture being present in sports. White "warriors" like the Rangers, Cowboys, Patriots, ect... are all celebrated in sports as well. I only say that because stuff like that is a common concern from the media. The quotes around "racism" were very intentional.lol.

Most of the names picked were derogatory or menacing. For example, the Edmonton Eskimos came about by Calgarians trying to insult Edmontonians in the late 1890s. We called them Cowboys because. . .well, they are, and they called us Esquimaux because we lived in a frozen wasteland. We weren't Ekimos, but we accepted that name because it was an insult that wasn't personal.

The Indians and the Braves are supposed to evoke the negative associations with the various native American tribes. The Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Vikings and such chose their names because that was what they saw themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad