NHL logo rankings No. 17: Edmonton Oilers

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Hey Oilers fans, and I'mma let you finish, but you gotta admit the Flames logo is the greatest of all time.

Ok carry on.

Edit: awe **** just saw Flames got 19th.

The Flames logo is all kinds of awesome for the wrong reasons (if you're a Flames fan that is), as a flaming C for a symbol of a city that chokes all the time is very apt as far as this Edmontonian is concerned.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'm suprised Chicago rated so highly considering the "racism" concerns.

This reminds me of one of the best selling shirts that are being sold on native reserves in Canada:

clevelandfrowns_caucasians.jpg

This is how ridiculous it is.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
It surprises me that anyone actually cares how some hockey writers rate our logo.

On second thought....they are hockey fans and it's the off-season.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
This reminds me of one of the best selling shirts that are being sold on native reserves in Canada:

clevelandfrowns_caucasians.jpg

This is how ridiculous it is.

Oh i'm not saying i agree, i think it's absurd too. The Redskins are the only one i see an argument against guven they actually are named after the colour of the skin, but i mostly just see it as Native culture being present in sports. White "warriors" like the Rangers, Cowboys, Patriots, ect... are all celebrated in sports as well. I only say that because stuff like that is a common concern from the media. The quotes around "racism" were very intentional.lol.

Eirhead*

I don't know how you make a ranking like this without adding bias. Unless you're 150 years old, many of these logos have been around since you were born and are a large part of the identity's of their organizations.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I don't know how you make a ranking like this without adding bias. Unless you're 150 years old, many of these logos have been around since you were born and are a large part of the identity's of their organizations.

It could simply be based on the designs of its graphical merits.

Which the Habs would still be #1, followed by Philly.

- Balance/Composition - Symmetry is an easy way to achieve this, but as long as compositionally it's balanced, it should work. RedWings, Senators, and Sabres are bad offenders.

- Readability/Simplicity - Logos should be visibly recognizable at 2000 feet away, or up close. Habs and Flyers are iconic for this reason. Redwings and Blackhawks are 2 original 6 logos that are needlessly noisy. Islanders and Sabres are pretty bad, Seems nearly everything designed in the 90's looks like it borrowed from the sensibilities of a spawn comic, noisy and obnoxious (Blue Jackets, Avalanche, Hurricanes).

- Colours This is unfortunately where trends take off. Monochromatic jerseys scream 90's. Oilers have copper and gold. Habs have their Red and Blue. Even the Flames are known for their Red and Yellow. Redwings have their Red and White.

B's Penguins, and Flyers are a bit too similar.

Many other teams change colours like a lady gaga concert. Canucks change it frequently. So do the Caps, and Kings.

- Typography - Not all logos have or require Typography, but this is where the Oilers fall flat (along with the Islanders and). The Font is hard to read, and shaped in a way that is a bit dated.

The Maple Leafs typography is easier to read, but along with the Rangers, it seems very unnecessary for a logo.

Stars, Caps and Tampa are just disastrous.

Recognition.
Good:
Habs, B's

Bad:
Try redrawing the Hurricanes, and the Islanders logos from Memory.

:/

Last edited:

Eirhead*

It could simply be based on the designs of its graphical merits.

That's kind of what I was getting at. Ya you can try to analyse them on graphical merit, but there's still going to be bias. It's like someone rating coca-cola logo or apple logo and raving about how timeless they are. Ya well that's nice, but would have the logos become so timeless if the companies didn't become hugely successful???

Besides, I rate the Devils logo above the Habs and Flyers from a graphical standpoint.

- Typography - Not all logos have or require Typography, but this is where the Oilers fall flat (along with the Islanders and). The Font is hard to read, and shaped in a way that is a bit dated.

See and I'd have to disagree with you about the Oilers. The font is vital to the design in making the name an Oil Slick. I see no problem capping it off with a varsity style font at the top... which IMO is a timeless sports font, that AFAIK no other NHL team uses anyway.

The major weakness I'd mark against the Devils, Oilers & Islanders is that they all put their logo's in a circle making them too similar to each other. Of course, with the Oilers, you can make the Oil Drum argument.

I think a rating like this could be a better article if a scoring system was present like you inferred. Composition 5/5, Simplicity 5/5, Colors 5/5, Typography 5/5, Recognition 5/5. Or something. Points would have to be awarded in context of the competition, marks for distinction, and docked for being superfluous and gaudy. Without a score sheet, this has no scientific value whatsoever. And even after there's a score sheet, I can still say: Yeah, well, that's like your opinion man!

Last edited by a moderator:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
That's kind of what I was getting at. Ya you can try to analyse them on graphical merit, but there's still going to be bias. It's like someone rating coca-cola logo or apple logo and raving about how timeless they are. Ya well that's nice, but would have the logos become so timeless if the companies didn't become hugely successful???

Besides, I rate the Devils logo above the Habs and Flyers from a graphical standpoint.

See and I'd have to disagree with you about the Oilers. The font is vital to the design in making the name an Oil Slick. I see no problem capping it off with a varsity style font at the top... which IMO is a timeless sports font, that AFAIK no other NHL team uses anyway.

The major weakness I'd mark against the Devils, Oilers & Islanders is that they all put their logo's in a circle making them too similar to each other. Of course, with the Oilers, you can make the Oil Drum argument.

I think a rating like this could be a better article if a scoring system was present like you inferred. Composition 5/5, Simplicity 5/5, Colors 5/5, Typography 5/5, Recognition 5/5. Or something. Points would have to be awarded in context of the competition, marks for distinction, and docked for being superfluous and gaudy. Without a score sheet, this has no scientific value whatsoever. And even after there's a score sheet, I can still say: Yeah, well, that's like your opinion man!

Good points.

It's funny, I never saw the Oilers font as 'Varsity', but now that you mention it, I totally get it. Funny enough, I was looking at this with a UI Designer coworker of mine (Habs Fan), and he never noticed there was a minor leftward hook to the bottom of the font on the Oilers Logo that makes things look a little overlapped.

What I think I'd personally love to see, is a non-objective critique of the logos from various renowned graphic designers that have no affiliations (and quite possibly don't even follow hockey).

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
It's funny, I never saw the Oilers font as 'Varsity', but now that you mention it, I totally get it.

To me (and I say this as a non-designer) it's too bubbly to be a Varsity font (which I think of as being quite crisp and blocky. It would be better if it was a bit more Varsity and a bit less...whatever the hell that disco-era thing is.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
You know it's the dog days of summer when....we're talking about NHL logos.

I'm sorry that I allowed myself to be click-baited here. THN is a sham of a magazine.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The Leafs rated 21st shows the character rating these has nothing better to do with his summer.

Summer's are for beer, canoes, boats and half naked ladies on the lake.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Hartford had one of my top five logos of all time. I absolutely love the Hartford logo but didnt like the colors (but likely id have hated it more if they went crazy on color).

I dislike all the new logos...simple and traditional is best. Its not supposed to be art (minn wild), its a fn jersey.

Bruins is up there, hawks, redwings, penguins/seals, Oilers, kings, rangers.

Canucks were all terrible, flames flaming c is alright but their other logos were trash, habs and leafs are meh but iconic, jets original was just ok,

The most disappointing would be the Dallas Stars...i think that logo could have been made alot better but its obviously a nod to the North Stars history in the franchise.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I for one, would like to see a more modern design. Oilers current logo is iconic and you can never really take it away, but wouldn't mind the options of something new.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Good points.

It's funny, I never saw the Oilers font as 'Varsity', but now that you mention it, I totally get it. Funny enough, I was looking at this with a UI Designer coworker of mine (Habs Fan), and he never noticed there was a minor leftward hook to the bottom of the font on the Oilers Logo that makes things look a little overlapped.

What I think I'd personally love to see, is a non-objective critique of the logos from various renowned graphic designers that have no affiliations (and quite possibly don't even follow hockey).

Whenever i see the Oilers logo i see stanley cups as the letters...its the way they are blocked and elongated.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Hartford had one of my top five logos of all time. I absolutely love the Hartford logo but didnt like the colors (but likely id have hated it more if they went crazy on color).

I dislike all the new logos...simple and traditional is best. Its not supposed to be art (minn wild), its a fn jersey.

Bruins is up there, hawks, redwings, penguins/seals, Oilers, kings, rangers.

Canucks were all terrible, flames flaming c is alright but their other logos were trash, habs and leafs are meh but iconic, jets original was just ok,

The most disappointing would be the Dallas Stars...i think that logo could have been made alot better but its obviously a nod to the North Stars history in the franchise.

Agree with most of what you have to say. Except of course the Leafs and Habs. Loved the old Jets. Out of all the newer teams? Has to be the Sens. Every other one is scary. I know a lot of people like the Panthers. Just look at youth associations but Colorado, TB, NSH, Columbus, SJ all have struck out. Colorado and Carolina worst except for the Ducks of course who can come up with the greatest logo ever now and it still won't count because of that original Duck. Wings to me is still the most original, taking city and name together. Flyers get an F for copying.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
They are just trying to be controversial to drive page views. They have ranked all the Canadian teams low for that reason. Not even worth clicking on.

I am not a leafs fans but their logo is iconic and they are ranked 21st.

I don't like saying nice thing about the leafs--but for our logo to be a head of their logo in a serious ranking thing--someone must have been dropping a lot of magic mushrooms or something

azashi

May 31, 2006
Do you agree with the THN staffers who said this logo is outdated and ugly?
[/url]

Outdated, ugly, clashing colors, and a blatant attempt by Bill Hunter to pander for a corporate sponsor.

So, yeah.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't really disagree. I love it because I am a fan, but I can see why people would dislike it. The colours are boss, but the simple design is almost too simple. I don't like logos that are too busy, aside from Chicago's but ours is a little bit boring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad