Do the Sens even have an Identity?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
When I watch this team play none of our players are standouts. They get their points but can anyone honestly say anyone player is the key to us winning?

In the past we had Alfredsson who was clearly our leader and was the difference maker. Chara was a beast. Hasek was still the dominator. Spezza made everyone better. Karlsson was probably our most elite player ever.

With our roster we are missing the player who makes others better. We have no play makers, no toughness, no leadership. Brady is the captain but....ok.

This team should have enough skill to make the playoffs but without any of the elements i think we are missing we won't be winning the cup any time soon.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
When I watch this team play none of our players are standouts. They get their points but can anyone honestly say anyone player is the key to us winning?

In the past we had Alfredsson who was clearly our leader and was the difference maker. Chara was a beast. Hasek was still the dominator. Spezza made everyone better. Karlsson was probably our most elite player ever.

With our roster we are missing the player who makes others better. We have no play makers, no toughness, no leadership. Brady is the captain but....ok.

This team should have enough skill to make the playoffs but without any of the elements i think we are missing we won't be winning the cup any time soon.
And when is that, exactly?

The current regime has added Boris Katchouk and subtracted Tarasenko. I think its safe to say that they will be putting their stamp on the team.

Reactions: Bileur

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Immature, soft and undermanned ; Any shot can go in.

ottawa-senators-general-manager-pierre-dorion-holds-a-press.jpeg

Reactions: Bileur

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The Ottawa Senators are a team of ex-special forces soldiers on the lam from the military police (even though they didn't really commit the crime for which they'd been imprisoned) leaves a trail of explosions in its wake. But Chabot, Tkachuk, Norris and Stutzke always stop to help the little guy against some corrupt local bigwig before escaping the MPs once again.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
So are you saying we got better by adding Katchouk and subtracting Tarasenko?
....no, I was not saying "no, it doesn't so far a tramp stamp." It doesn't create cap space moving forward.

My point is that the architects of this team moving forward have had basically no opportunity to shape the roster, but that will change in the months to come. Katchouk and Tarasenko moves are inconsequential.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Typically a teams identity is something the GM and coaching staff look to create.

Given the GM has been in the role 6 months and we haven't yet hired a permanent coach, it's a bit early to put your finger on what the team identity will be.

Let's see what changes come in the offseason, the new coach will likely try to instill an identity

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
The Ottawa Senators are a team of ex-special forces soldiers on the lam from the military police (even though they didn't really commit the crime for which they'd been imprisoned) leaves a trail of explosions in its wake. But Chabot, Tkachuk, Norris and Stutzke always stop to help the little guy against some corrupt local bigwig before escaping the MPs once again.
To quote Pierre Dorion on what makes the Sens so good: “Because we’re A Team”

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Our identity is “wait and see what the new regime does to put a stamp on this team this off season”

Nothing more, nothing less.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Typically a teams identity is something the GM and coaching staff look to create.

Given the GM has been in the role 6 months and we haven't yet hired a permanent coach, it's a bit early to put your finger on what the team identity will be.

Let's see what changes come in the offseason, the new coach will likely try to instill an identity

So if our rookie GM is of the belief that creating a “team identity” is important, perhaps kicking the can down the road in Mid December was not the best move at the time.

Now if the rookie GM had hired a new head coach instead, and gave him 57 games of this past season to get the foundation started, on the team identity, instead of waiting until the can came to stop at Training camp this fall, perhaps the Sens will be ahead of the curve on this issue….. but it’s starting from scratch in training camp I guess

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

...and they all act like Murdock.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Their drafting seemed like they were trying to build a team with an identity as a big physical team but I don’t think the pro scouts got the memo.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
In response to this thread: How many basement dwellers have an identity?

Identities are created and galvanized through winning. It's the way you win games that becomes your identity. The Pesky Sens, for instance, were pesky because they hung around in games and had a number of comeback wins. If they had the hanging around without the comebacks, they wouldn't be pesky, would they?

We don't currently have an identity because we don't currently win a lot of games. If they win more than they lose next year, you'll see an identity develop.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So if our rookie GM is of the belief that creating a “team identity” is important, perhaps kicking the can down the road in Mid December was not the best move at the time.

Now if the rookie GM had hired a new head coach instead, and gave him 57 games of this past season to get the foundation started, on the team identity, instead of waiting until the can came to stop at Training camp this fall, perhaps the Sens will be ahead of the curve on this issue….. but it’s starting from scratch in training camp I guess
Im glad he's taking the time required to make the right decisions, instead of placating impatient fans with knee jerk decisions.

We had enough dumb knee jerk moves done by the previous 'veteran' GM looking to take short cuts, it's refreshing to see the new guy take a more methodical approach and not rush things to satisfy fans that lack the long term vision required for sustainable success

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Our identity at the moment is BAD TEAM. Nothing more.

Teams build identities in the playoffs. We haven't got there yet. Most often teams have to at least tinker with their style of play and their makeup/identity once they've experienced playoff hockey and realized what they need to correct.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad