NHL Head Coach: Toronto is the third most talented team in the East

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
All I know is that Leafs and Oilers will both be terrifying teams in about 2-3ish years

Right now they are good and impressive, next year they will both be more impressive and then the year after that?????.... geeze look out league

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I take cbj. Rangers and Boston over them. But I'd take Toronto in a series over everyone but cbj even though cbj is playing like trash

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I can't really disagree with this. Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, van Riemsdyk. That's some good skill spread across 3 lines.

We are apparently so deep that our 55 point C (Bozak) and 20G rookie (Brown) don't even get a mention.

Plus we keep Leivo in the press box every game despite having 10 points in 13 games :laugh:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This isn't really a surprise, at least offensively. They had the 2nd best PP in the NHL, were 4th overall in goals for, and 5th for 5v5 Goals for. Only Caps, Pens and Rangers in the east outscored them this year. They have a 3rd line that consisted of Kadri, Komarov and at times Nylander during the season.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I think that 1 major addition can make a huge difference this off season. If we can get a legit top 4 RHD via trade or UFA then we can rock Rielly-Zaits, Gardiner-????, Hunwick-Polak, add in Neilsson or Dermott for the 7th
up front Boyle is the key as well as a few RFA's
then up front I really think Levio will be a break out player next year if they put him on Matthews LW.

I still think they need to upgrade the bottom pairing, but ya, they could probably get by if they add a top 3 dman for the 2nd pairing

I believe 1 of Alzner or Shattenkirk, likely Alzner will be a Leaf next year

Definitely should be at least. Trade for someone before expansion, and then sign a free agent

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Obviously the same thing. Appeal to authority arguments don't work when they disagree :sarcasm:

It's not an appeal to authority fallacy if the figure in question is sharing insights or opinions on his/her area of expertise. By all means guys, if you think you have a tumor appeal to your doctor's authority.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It's not an appeal to authority fallacy if the figure in question is sharing insights or opinions on his/her area of expertise. By all means guys, if you think you have a tumor appeal to your doctor's authority.

people appealing to authority often suggest that because someone working in that area(a coach or a GM for example) says or does something it must be right. And that anyone suggesting otherwise is incorrect.

Yeah if I had a question about hockey to ask I'd probably go ask a NHL coach if I could instead of a HF poster, just like I'd go to a doctor to ask about a tumour instead of a random person on the street. Doesn't mean the doctor can't mis-diagnose me. Doesn't mean the NHL coach can't be wrong and the HF poster can't be right.

95% of the time the coach is probably right, and given the knowledge needed to be a doctor that most random people don't have compared to the knowledge they can get watching hockey I would say it's much tougher to be right about the tumour than the hockey as a random person.

There's nothing wrong with saying hey this person in a position of knowledge on the subject thinks this. That's not appeal to authority. Some unknown NHL coach thinks the Leafs are a top 3 talents team in the East. That's cool. It's probably true, I agree, but it's not fact. It's pointing out what 1 smart guy thinks. However saying this guy with knowledge says this and you say otherwise, you have to be wrong because the guy with knowledge is right all the time is. If someone reads this forum and goes and tells his friend, some NHL coach says the Leafs are a top 3 talented team, he has to be right thus you saying they aren't means you're wrong. That's appeal to authority, and it can't work when 2 people in a similar position have differing opinions.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Talented=/=best, talented=skilled. They are insanely skilled, that's blatantly obvious. Only the Penguins and Capitals are more skilled than the Leafs from the East. However, they're not the 3rd best team in the East, not by a long shot.

Congratulations on that straw man fallacy.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If this is true, how come all the experts, pundits and soothsayers here at HF gave Toronto no shot. Nobody talked about this, do you actually watch the games?

Most of the experts still think that Anaheim are cup contenders

Inb4 ducks win cup

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Which 7 guys are you expecting to be protected over him?

Kadri, JVR, Brown, Bozak, Komarov

And what other 2? Please don't say Martin.

It's 2 of Leivo, Rychel, Leipsic, and Martin and I think Leivo is an easy first choice for protection from that bunch. The 2nd guy is a tougher guess. But I would guess Leipsic.

Maybe Boyle.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Maybe Boyle.

Boyle is a UFA. Yeah Vegas can talk to UFA's ahead of time and draft and sign them and that count as the pick, but the odds the Leafs sign Boyle before then aren't great and you sure as hell don't protect an unsigned UFA.

If the Leafs are gonna sign Boyle then talk to him now and sign him after the draft. If he's willing to sign with Vegas so much that he signs there before July 1st than he doesn't really care to be here so probably wouldn't sign anyway

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Great shot and the guy can skate. Was scoring well in the SHL as well.

Certainly one of many overlooked prospects due to so many rookies on the Leafs roster. Give Johnsson another full year in the A and I wouldn't be surprised if he was near a PPG. Not bad for a 7th rounder. Bergman is a fantastic scout. Wish we gave him more selections.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Which 7 guys are you expecting to be protected over him?

Kadri, JVR, Brown, Bozak, Komarov

And what other 2? Please don't say Martin.

It's 2 of Leivo, Rychel, Leipsic, and Martin and I think Leivo is an easy first choice for protection from that bunch. The 2nd guy is a tougher guess. But I would guess Leipsic.

Martin won't be protected because he wont be taken if exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2