NHL Head Coach: Toronto is the third most talented team in the East

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
An article was written where LeBrun asked head coaches what the Leafs were doing to find success against the Caps, and a random NHL coach said this:

It's actually not that shocking, said a third Eastern Conference head coach.

"I think Toronto right now is the third-most talented team in the East," the coach said Sunday over the phone. "Now, they're young, but who cares? That was a tough draw for Washington. Outside of Pittsburgh and Washington, to me the Leafs are the third-most talented group in the East. Their D aren't great, but they're all good skaters and they can gap well the way [coach Mike Babcock] likes to gap. As a forward group, boy, I would put them up with anybody. They can go depth for depth up front with Washington. They're one of the few teams that can go line for line with Washington.

"I know when we played them, I thought Toronto was a matchup nightmare because you couldn't match them line for line," he added. "So to me, what's happened so far in that series [is] representative of how close they are. I expect the Leafs to be an Eastern Conference final team a year from now."

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
They're a good team and outside of the Caps and Pens, I think they're right in the mix with teams like Montreal,Colombus,NYR etc. If we were talking about the West, it'd be a different story.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Talented=/=best, talented=skilled. They are insanely skilled, that's blatantly obvious. Only the Penguins and Capitals are more skilled than the Leafs from the East. However, they're not the 3rd best team in the East, not by a long shot. I could see the Leafs making the ECF next year, but that's mostly due to the Atlantic division not really having any great teams in the near future IMO.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Talented=/=best, talented=skilled. They are insanely skilled, that's blatantly obvious. Only the Penguins and Capitals are more skilled than the Leafs from the East. However, they're not the 3rd best team in the East, not by a long shot.

No one said best. But I'm guessing you missed the last sentence in the quote? Many could argue he intended it to be best with a quote like that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No one said best. But I'm guessing you missed the last sentence in the quote? Many could argue he intended it to be best with a quote like that.

Yeah that's how I read that last quote, that's what my comment was about. They are obviously insanely skilled, but that defense prevents me from saying they're at all close to the 3rd best team in hockey. However, there are examples of teams who go deep based on a stacked offense and a hot goalie while having a weak defense, I'm partially expecting the Penguins to do that this year.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I can't really disagree with this. Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, van Riemsdyk. That's some good skill spread across 3 lines.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Talented=/=best, talented=skilled. They are insanely skilled, that's blatantly obvious. Only the Penguins and Capitals are more skilled than the Leafs from the East. However, they're not the 3rd best team in the East, not by a long shot. I could see the Leafs making the ECF next year, but that's mostly due to the Atlantic division not really having any great teams in the near future IMO.

Agreed. But that's not what's being said at least.

Leafs are extremely talented with bottom tier defense. However they can roll 3 really difficult to contain lines offensively, and their fourth can cause problems as well (as evidenced in last nights game). Each of the top 3 lines contains a player that has scored 40, 32, and 29 goals. It's difficult to match up against how balanced the forward group is. Babcock has guys really starting to buy into all around games as well.

If they can fix that defense, the Leafs should be able to continue trending upwards. If not, I think they will be a wild card competing team next year.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yeah that's how I read that last quote, that's what my comment was about. They are obviously insanely skilled, but that defense prevents me from saying they're at all close to the 3rd best team in hockey. However, there are examples of teams who go deep based on a stacked offense and a hot goalie while having a weak defense, I'm partially expecting the Penguins to do that this year.

It was referring exclusively to the East, and not the NHL. I'd also be surprised if the Leafs didn't improve their defence at all by next year. They got some decent NHL-ready defencemen in the AHL as well.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Washington
Tampa
Pittsburgh

So no higher than 4th, but he could mean in the playoffs.

After those 3 no one in the east stands out to me as having a really strong roster. IMO travel in the compressed season and CBJ goal-tending drove the east's record this year. Tor could well be 4th in the east but there are still 6+ Western Conference teams I'd put ahead of them as well.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Actually, to add on to that, they have some skilled defensemen too. Rielly, Zaitsev, and Gardiner are all wonderful skaters. Obviously that top pairing needs to be better, and they lack a lot of depth, but they do have skill.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I'd place them second, but it's close.

1. Cleveland
2. Toronto
3. Boston

Boston has a lotto pick this year and next though. :facepalm:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
If they boost their defense, then they'll be (as one blogger put it) "a destroyer of worlds" in a few years.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
If they boost their defense, then they'll be (as one blogger put it) "a destroyer of worlds" in a few years.

That's not impossible to believe. Assuming Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev and Carrick are pencilled in, the Leafs still have a hefty amount of assets with their prospects, and picks that they could get a guy like Mike Green, who has 1 year left, is a right handed shot, and can line up next to Rielly in time for next year. Its just about getting the guy who's gonna line up next to Rielly, but Mike Green is the most available player to fill that role.

I get where that coach is coming from, whats crazy is how competitive the Leafs have looked with the Caps. Caps are fast, its scary how quick their pace is, and they've been staying close largely becuase of depth/secondary scoring. If Matthews or Nylander begins to exert more dominance in this series it could swing hard for Toronto. The bigger issue is gonna be 2018 when JVR and Bozak go UFA and you have to replace them. Its funny, despite all the depth theres no reasonable replacements for Bozak or Boyle outside of Gauthier.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That's not impossible to believe. Assuming Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev and Carrick are pencilled in, the Leafs still have a hefty amount of assets with their prospects, and picks that they could get a guy like Mike Green, who has 1 year left, is a right handed shot, and can line up next to Rielly in time for next year. Its just about getting the guy who's gonna line up next to Rielly, but Mike Green is the most available player to fill that role.

I get where that coach is coming from, whats crazy is how competitive the Leafs have looked with the Caps. Caps are fast, its scary how quick their pace is, and they've been staying close largely becuase of depth/secondary scoring. If Matthews or Nylander begins to exert more dominance in this series it could swing hard for Toronto. The bigger issue is gonna be 2018 when JVR and Bozak go UFA and you have to replace them. Its funny, despite all the depth theres no reasonable replacements for Bozak or Boyle outside of Gauthier.
Move Nylander back to center, which he did fairly well at, at the end of the 2015/16 season in the NHL and in the AHL, while bumping up Kapanen into the top 9.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Move Nylander back to center, which he did fairly well at, at the end of the 2015/16 season in the NHL and in the AHL, while bumping up Kapanen into the top 9.

True I guess, then you slide up Rychel or Leipsic. Bozak has just been important to the Leafs this season, underrated really. I'd assume if 4M is fine for him we can re-sign him to be a 3C.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
The bigger issue is gonna be 2018 when JVR and Bozak go UFA and you have to replace them. Its funny, despite all the depth theres no reasonable replacements for Bozak or Boyle outside of Gauthier.

Nylander is going to be a C.

So Kapanen moves up to a RW spot and someone takes the 4th RW spot (Soshnikov)

Leivo, Rychel are guys for the LW spot from JVR.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Their talent is underrated. They have sick offensive depth, and multiple elite forwards. I think they're deeper offensively than the caps.

And I've said it over and over on this board: The Leafs will do better because Rielly/Zaitsev/Gardiner are better than most think. Rielly and Gardiner were studs last night. Both played like legit #1 D's (And have been as good if not better than any of Washington's D in this series).

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Also Andreas Johnson is a future top-line calibre player.

Bump this in a few years to see if I was right or wrong. I'll either make you look like fools or myself.

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
Their talent is underrated. They have sick offensive depth, and multiple elite forwards. I think they're deeper offensively than the caps.

And I've said it over and over on this board: The Leafs will do better because Rielly/Zaitsev/Gardiner are better than most think. Rielly and Gardiner were studs last night. Both played like legit #1 D's (And have been as good if not better than any of Washington's D in this series).

Was just gonna say I haven't heard much about the Leafs talent all year. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00