NHL goalies better vs high shot volumes

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I'll just pick this out for now as the response is fairly straight forward. I may respond to the rest later.

I'd love to hear your response.

I'm not talking about games where a goalie *did* face a large number of shots and got pulled, I'm talking about games where a goalie *would have* faced a large number of shots but was having a poor/mediocre outing and thus gets pulled early. By excluding those from the counting, you're artificially removing games that would have been high shot total games.

That's fair, but even if we did include those games and extrapolate them out to full 50+ minute games, it wouldn't tip the scales that much in the other direction.

I'd be interested to see individual goalie data where games are not broken down by shot totals, but rather by shot rates per 60 of even strength play and without excluding short games.

But we have to keep each game individual because every game is a unique event. There's a ton of varying factors that affect goalie performance game by game.

It may also be interesting to look at it per period of play and see if a low shot volume period has a higher chance to result in a low save percentage period.

So far, the aggregate data doesn't show a relationship at the team level and the game to game comparisons are flawed (IMO) for the reasons I've laid out.

Not all teams are equal, and not all goalies are equal. It has to be team to itself, and goalie to himself comparisons. Game to game data is really the only way to do it because aggregate data does not take into account all the variables.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Here's the splits for when TEAMS allow 30 or more shots versus allowing 29 or fewer shots in the past 5 years.

0-29 SHOTS: .895 SV%
30+ SHOTS: .917 SV%

Here are the gamelogs from 2013 through 2018.

I would like to just clarify something about this table.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
As I understand it, there's conflicting views and evidence on how these things are connected. Was wondering what this Board has to say about it.

Also, I remember a thread that had some good info, think it was on the History Board, and it pertained to binning games based on how many shots the goalie faced which showed that SV% rose with Shots against; but posters broke down how there were problems with that analysis and what not. Wasn't able to find it though, if someone could, that might be helpful.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
As I understand it, there's conflicting views and evidence on how these things are connected. Was wondering what this Board has to say about it.

Also, I remember a thread that had some good info, think it was on the History Board, and it pertained to binning games based on how many shots the goalie faced which showed that SV% rose with Shots against; but posters broke down how there were problems with that analysis and what not. Wasn't able to find it though, if someone could, that might be helpful.

I'll have to see if I can dig up the threads (they may have been pre-2017 data migration), but the evidence is quite straightforward.

At the individual game level, it appears that there's a positive relationship between shots faced and save percentage. In other words, goalies who face more shots in a single game are more likely to have a higher save percentage.

At the season or career level, there's essentially zero relationship between shots faced and save percentage.

This sounds confusing because how can something be true at the game level, and not at the seasonal level? There are two explanations:

1. There's a wide range in shots faced at the individual game level. It's rare, but not really exceptional, to see a goalie face <20 shots, or >35 shots, in a single game. (From 2006 to 2020, in the regular season, there have been 171 instances of a goalie facing at least 50 shots in a game; and 278 instances of a goalie facing no more than 15 shots in a game - with a minimum of 50 minutes played so the data isn't getting skewed from goalies who are pulled early). You simply don't get that range in shots at the seasonal level, where usually the spread from most to fewest shots faced per game is perhaps 10 shots. So maybe this phenomenon would hold true if one goalie averaged 18 shots per night over the course of a season, and another averaged 43; but that simply doesn't happen at the NHL level. The phenomenon, if it really does exist, is ultimately irrelevant because the spread in shots faced (at the season and career level) is so small.

2. There are likely game-specific effects that, by definition, don't impact an entire season. It's generally accepted that losing teams will try to shoot the puck more, and often these are less dangerous shots (ie throw the puck on net from the point). So it might look like the goalie is doing better when he's facing more shots - but the real reason is he's facing more, easier shots which inflate his save percentage, but that has nothing to do with his actual level of performance.

My conclusion, which I think is supported very clearly by the data, is you shouldn't draw conclusions from a single game's save percentage (especially when you're comparing two goalies who faced a significantly different number of shots). But the impact of shot volume at the season and career level is essentially zero.

So to answer your question - there's no conflict in the data that's been presented. The issue is some people don't understand that what's true at the individual game level doesn't hold true at the season/career level.

I'm tagging @Doctor No as I believe he looked into this as well.

Last edited:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
My preconceived notion is that (1) this phenomenon exists on an in-game level, (2) it's primarily due to score effects, but it also has to do with (3) shot counting biases and perhaps (4) team strength.

I have more to share later, but here's a quick graph that I put together from my database - this is all regular-season data, National Hockey League, 1999 through present day. I have some older seasons entered as well but those are not included here.

upload_2020-8-25_12-42-24.png

Caveat: my data has typos; I'm sure of it. I'm trying to eradicate them from my database (actually developing the above graph was a nice clean-up exercise); my conjecture is that at the level of granularity presented in this exhibit, the typos won't be material. For some of the stuff I'm working on (like save percentage based on score at the start of the period and shots faced) I think that it does matter, so more to come.

If score effects (roughly defined as "trailing teams trade shot quality for shot volume") this should manifest in the data as a "steeper" save percentage curve when looking at shots faced in the period. We do see this in the data (compare the gray line - third period - to the other two lines).

It's also interesting (but bears out with logic) that second period save percentages are basically always lower than first/third period save percentages - it's easier to "get caught" in the second period and give up a bad chance.

Anyhow, more studying is warranted (and in progress).

Last edited:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Couple of other things as I think of them - these are shots faced by the team in the period (not a single goaltender) because I didn't want to tease out how many shots two different goaltenders faced in a period, and I think it's purer here.

The blue line (first period) is probably the purest result relative to score effects, since those would have far less of an impact.

The first "17" in the chart is "16" - it's a typo that doesn't affect the graphs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
IMO the most fatal flaw of goaltender statistics is that it tends to ignore the most important event that takes place - the ‘weak’ goal. In general terms anything other than a weak goal means the goalie is performing at a competent level. Most stats today focus on saves and goals and ratios thereof.

The problem is looking at saves tells very little- a shot from center ice is treated the same as a breakaway when the puck touches the goalie.

Likewise looking at goals is same flaw as shots.. we don’t know the quality!

Now if there is a way to score the quality of the goal (ie quality of scoring chance preceding goal) then we could start to apply that to the goalie. Overall numbers (goals against/saves) can basically be ignored, instead just scoring how effective the goaltender is for a given ‘quality’ of scoring chance, then merging that with the typical breakdown of scoring chance types against a given opponent to predict game outcomes or league average to measure overall effectiveness (ranking).

Reactions: Michael Farkas

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
IMO the most fatal flaw of goaltender statistics is that it tends to ignore the most important event that takes place - the ‘weak’ goal. In general terms anything other than a weak goal means the goalie is performing at a competent level. Most stats today focus on saves and goals and ratios thereof.

The problem is looking at saves tells very little- a shot from center ice is treated the same as a breakaway when the puck touches the goalie.

Likewise looking at goals is same flaw as shots.. we don’t know the quality!

Now if there is a way to score the quality of the goal (ie quality of scoring chance preceding goal) then we could start to apply that to the goalie. Overall numbers (goals against/saves) can basically be ignored, instead just scoring how effective the goaltender is for a given ‘quality’ of scoring chance, then merging that with the typical breakdown of scoring chance types against a given opponent to predict game outcomes or league average to measure overall effectiveness (ranking).
There are several statisticians around, including myself, that classify and evaluate each unblocked shot in terms of probability of becoming a goal. Myself, I filter out EN and penalty shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad