NHL General Manager of the Year Award

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I don't get the love for Chiarelli either. McDavid changes the whole dynamic of this franchise. Not the GM.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Crazy how people have Lou has higher when really they made the exact same moves. Chiarelli has nailed picks with Jones, Bear, Paigin, benson, Wells. Basically tought o call as no players are in NHL yet

LL is benefiting massively from Matthews, just as Chairelli is from McDavid- yet why is noone bringing this up?

Zaitev looks like a major coup? Check out Benning. As its apparent you dont watch the team, check out his underlying numbers which are mindblowing. If you don't value those, dig your head further into the sand I guess

Chiarelli has completely rebuilt a D core. Check out the goals against stats, top 10 in the league. Ill bet you werent aware of that. To add to that hes added a #1 goalie whos been a top 10 goalie in the league this year. On top of that hes added 2 top 6 wingers. Oh and he also signed McClellan and co (reviews are glowing)

So you admit they are on the same tier, I agree

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
LL is benefiting massively from Matthews, just as Chairelli is from McDavid- yet why is noone bringing this up?
One difference is Lou Lamoriello was hired as the Leafs GM in July 2015 and they won the draft lottery to select Auston Matthews in April 2016. So Lou didn't decide to become the Leafs GM based on them winning the lottery the way Chiarelli did after Edmonton won the lottery for McDavid.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
One difference is Lou Lamoriello was hired as the Leafs GM in July 2015 and they won the draft lottery to select Auston Matthews in April 2016. So Lou didn't decide to become the Leafs GM based on them winning the lottery the way Chiarelli did after Edmonton won the lottery for McDavid.

Still waiting for your proof of that claim...

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
What did the Leafs do other than sign Anderson? Their roster is pretty much the same aside from 3 super rookies.

Does that garner a GM award?

Gillis won the award for a team built by his predecessors that he inherited ? So maybe ? NHL is pretty stupid when it comes to this award

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
To the people saying Chia doesn't deserve it because of McDavid, I suppose McDavid is an absolute lock for your Hart trophy vote then, correct?

No sarcasm, but easily for me.

edit. The reason Chia wont get full credit is because no other GM has had the luxury of four 1st overalls, 3rd, 4th, 7th in the last few years. No one is saying he hasn't done a great job, because he has. But he was given way more to work with and because McDavid is well McDavid.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
*Hurr durr McDavid is only reason for Oilers success now and forever*

This narrative is getting pretty tiresome and I bet the vast majority of it comes from people who doesn't even watch the Oilers or know anything about the team. Yes McDavid is a big positive factor for the Oilers but I'd be willing to bet this team wouldn't be in the playoffs had MacT still been the GM. Chiarelli has completely changed the identity of this team and made a ton of solid moves.

The guy has brought in three top4 d-men over the course of two summers, as well as added a legit starting goaltender. That's not easy to do. Top4 d-men and starters are very hard to find. On top of that he has added Kassian, Maroon, Lucic which has completely changed the culture of the team. They've went from one of the biggest wimps in the league to one of the toughest and most punishing teams, and a team that sticks up for each other.

He has also brought in guys like Letestu, Benning and Caggiula who have all been solid and the latter two are young guys that look to have a pretty bright future in this league. Benning in particular. Honestly, except for McDavid, Draisaitl and maybe Klefbom, the biggest contributors of the success of this team has been addition made by Chia.

I don't know if he's the GM of the year, but he's definitely up there and not the "bottom-five GM" so many were saying this summer.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
No sarcasm, but easily for me.

edit. The reason Chia wont get full credit is because no other GM has had the luxury of four 1st overalls, 3rd, 4th, 7th in the last few years. No one is saying he hasn't done a great job, because he has. But he was given way more to work with and because McDavid is well McDavid.

"More to work with"

Yak is a bust and got traded for a 3rd round pick. RNH seemingly couldn't even return Dumba last summer. Eberle likely has even worse value than RNH. Hall's value was that of Larsson (much lower than expected, according to most people). So how did he have a lot to work with? If you mean talent-wise, RNH and Eberle are both having very underwhelming years. As I said in my recent post here, the key contributors to this team aside from McDavid and Drai (meaning the supporting cast, no team can function just by having two good players), are all Chia acquisitions. How many GM's need to bring in three(!) top4 d-men to ice a competent defense when they take over, and a starting goaltender (and then successfully does so)?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
prople are going to hate this because it's praising a Leaf and we all know tis site hates anything Leafs BUT the fact is you can't be anyone but Lou for the same reason coach of the year can't be anyone but Babcock.

The Leafs finished 30th last year, that was last overall this year they are currently sitting in a playoff spot

to go from last place to the playoffs

Lou HAS to get the award

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Fletcher HAS to be the front runner. From perennial bubble team to league power house. The combination of belief in his long term plans/moves and his short term tweaks and coaching change to put it all together.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
So besides Oilers fan does anyone actually believe chiraelli is even top 3?

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
What about Kekalainen?

He inherited a playoff team, and despite being in his 5th season with Columbus this roster is still more Howson's than Kekalainen's.

27 players have suited up for Columbus this year, 15 of whom were acquired by Howson. Of the remaining 12:
- Saad, Hartnell, Jones, and Karlsson were all acquired using nothing but assets inherited from Howson
- Gagner and Hannikainen were UFA signings by Kekalainen
- Wennberg, Werenski, Nutivaara, Bjorkstrand, and Milano were draft picks by Kekalainen
- Harrington was acquired straight-up for a player drafted with an inherited draft pick

This is also the same team that finished 27th overall a year ago, with the only major changes being the additions of Werenski, Gagner (who's cooled considerably), and Sedlak.

In the case of Sedlak, he was a Howson draft pick who went into the lineup to replace the disastrous Gregory Campbell. That's a Howson 6th-round pick being used to replace a Kekalainen free agent signing, four full seasons after Howson was fired.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Fletcher HAS to be the front runner. From perennial bubble team to league power house. The combination of belief in his long term plans/moves and his short term tweaks and coaching change to put it all together.

Last place to playoffs I think is a bit more daunting.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Of finishing in the bottom of the league every single year and getting high draft picks. If you didnt luck out with McDavid you wouldnt be close to a playoff spot.

So no he doesnt deserve the award.
What does that have to do with Chiarelli? He's been the GM for two seasons, not seven.

The Oilers aren't near the playoffs if the roster isn't dismantled and turned into an actual team. That was Chiarelli's doing, not McDavid's.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
prople are going to hate this because it's praising a Leaf and we all know tis site hates anything Leafs BUT the fact is you can't be anyone but Lou for the same reason coach of the year can't be anyone but Babcock.

The Leafs finished 30th last year, that was last overall this year they are currently sitting in a playoff spot

to go from last place to the playoffs

Lou HAS to get the award
If Toronto does make the playoffs this season after finishing 30th overall the previous year, I agree it's something that can not be overlooked. Plus I will say again since this award is also based on reputation how can Lou not win it since he never has and with all the years he's been a General Manager.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
If Toronto does make the playoffs this season after finishing 30th overall the previous year, I agree it's something that can not be overlooked. Plus I will say again since this award is also based on reputation how can Lou not win it since he never has and with all the years he's been a General Manager.
Lou has been in the NHL much longer than the award has been.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Perhaps it's because I was of the opinion that they should have traded him for defense years ago. That's just me.

You can eye roll all you want, it's blatantly obvious that Chia just signed the biggest wingers he could. And honestly, the Lucic contract isn't very good. Had he gotten a deal, it would be a lot more impressive.

Considering he signed Lucic for less than Montreal offered, yeah he did get a deal

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...up-edmonton-oilers-marc-bergevin-weise-emelin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad