NHL General Manager of the Year Award

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'd wait till after the trade deadline for this thread tbh

This is the only appropriate post in this thread. There's simply too much that'll happen before the TDL to properly evaluate a GM yet

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
*No chance Chia deserves this. The Hall trade may have been necessary but it should never be celebrated. Remember he also replaced Hall with Lucic on a ridiculous contract that will rob McDavid of support in his prime. He's made up for these to a degree with Talbot and Maroon but the guy is not close to this discussion.

So addressing team needs and improving the team should never be celebrated? Because that is what he did. You can second guess all you want but neither you nor I know the future - so as of now all that matters are results. And let's be honest, aren't results are the only thing that matter?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This is the only appropriate post in this thread. There's simply too much that'll happen before the TDL to properly evaluate a GM yet

Even then you have to wait a month after the Deadline to see if the deadline deal was any good either... a trade that looks like a steal on deadline day can often look like a disaster a month later if said player(s) don't play well in their new home.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I would say Stevey Y but his teams on ice performance has let him down.
>Convinced Drouin to stay
>Signed Herman to great contract
>Signed Kucherov to great contract
>Kept Stammer

And probably much more

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
*No chance Chia deserves this. The Hall trade may have been necessary but it should never be celebrated. Remember he also replaced Hall with Lucic on a ridiculous contract that will rob McDavid of support in his prime. He's made up for these to a degree with Talbot and Maroon but the guy is not close to this discussion.

Beyond just Talbot and Maroon, he's made other good moves. Adding Kassian, Sekera, Letestu, and Benning were all solid moves. Even a guy like Caggiula is another good move.

He's done a lot of smaller things that have transformed our roster. Chia is definitely in the conversation, even if he doesn't win.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Add in that it was a huge coming out party for Wild prospects at WJC (Kaprizov, Kunin, Eriksson Ek, Greenway) and that the Wild look like the deepest team in NHL when you consider expansion and it's been a good year for Fletcher. He has had his detractors over the year but he's been awesome of late.

Others:

LL in Toronto. Lot of help from the lottery but he's been spearheading a very aggressive and practical FO.

Jarmo in Columbus. The PLD pick remains a bit confounding, but the Jackets are loaded. They are deep, fast, skilled and mean. The Jones, Murray, Werenski trio is unfair.

Good points

What Toronto and Columbus has accomplished can't be ignored either!

Top 3 for sure!

Honourable mention to NYR GM as well

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I believe what he is saying is that the GM of the year is the one who wins the Stanley Cup regardless of the vote.

Yes, thank you :)

Frankly I think it's silly that they vote for the best GM even before the playoffs, which is when you see the key manifestation of all the GM's moves.

The GM of the year should quite possibly be the most objective, as the ultimate goal is to assemble a cup winning roster. Unfortunately it's a popularity contest.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
any team that tanked in order to help their team further their development doesn't deserve it because anyone can call a tank, and draft number 1 or 2 or whatever. Any Joe HFboards.com can do it. Just gut the roster senseless pray for your odds of you wining the lottery and done.
Any team can tank and draft #1 or #2... then what? The whole point is getting results from your actions.
Buffalo got #2 in 2014 & 2015 and are bottom feeding in the Atlantic. and worst in the league only to Arizona.
Teams like Arizona, Florida, and Toronto have dabbled in the basement for more than a few seasons with VERY little to show for it (maybe TOR does something now...).

You have no argument just a statement that a tank gets you a top pick.

Sure. But he basically just signed the couple guys that were available, one of whom has been average (Lucic) and the other of which is arguably being carried by Mcdavid. And the Hall trade was made possible by the arrival of Mcdavid; as in stated earlier, how often does a team have the luxury of replacing a top 5 winger with a top 3 center to make up the difference immediately?

I'm on board with Talbot though. Awesome signing for sure.

> just signed the couple guys that were available
:shakehead

The guy still gets roasted about the Hall trade, yet people turn around and say "he had the luxury"... more like he had the fortitude to trade the best player on his roster, a top 5 winger, at age 24. Previous Oiler GM's in particular weren't so bold as to make these trades (RNH, Yak, Hall, Eberle, Gagner, or the draft picks leading to those). You are blaming the guy for his starting balance sheet, which quite frankly was a mess (see previous seasons' records).

He also made the decision NOT to trade Draisaitl. Another great decision.

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
1.Brian MacLellan
2.Chuck Fletcher
3.Jim Rutherford

Wins are the only thing to be taken into account. Don't care if you make a huge improvement from 30th to 20th.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Jeff Gorton. Traded Derick Brassard and a 7th in 2018 to Ottawa for Mika Zibanejad and a 2nd in 18. Won the Jimmy Vesey sweepstakes. Signed Michael Grabner to a 2 year contract worth $1.65M per. 26 goals. Traded the rights of Keith Yandle to the Panthers for a 6th in 2016 and 4th in 2017. The Rangers swapped their 4th in 17 to Colorado for Nick Holden. Barring something crazy,the Florida pick is a higher pick than Rangers pick.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Let's wait and see a month or two after the deadline.

That being said, there are some clear front-runners.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Case for Fletcher:

- Staal signing at a very cap friendly contract and lighting it up right now
- Granlund / Nino / Coyle coming into their own
- Signing of Bruce as HC
- Team is currently 1st in the Western Conference -- and that was after most "experts" pegged the Wild in the bottom 10 in the league this year

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Case for Fletcher:

- Signing of Bruce as HC
- Team is currently 1st in the Western Conference -- and that was after most "experts" pegged the Wild in the bottom 10 in the league this year

This is my front runner right now.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Case for Fletcher:

- Signing of Bruce as HC

You missed the signing of Chris Stewart who is on pace to bring 20+ goals playing on the 4th line as well. Yes he's a 4th liner, but how many 4th line players make such an impact? Not to mention his great locker room presence to help keep the team loose.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
Any team can tank and draft #1 or #2... then what? The whole point is getting results from your actions.
Buffalo got #2 in 2014 & 2015 and are bottom feeding in the Atlantic. and worst in the league only to Arizona.
Teams like Arizona, Florida, and Toronto have dabbled in the basement for more than a few seasons with VERY little to show for it (maybe TOR does something now...).

You have no argument just a statement that a tank gets you a top pick.

> just signed the couple guys that were available
:shakehead

The guy still gets roasted about the Hall trade, yet people turn around and say "he had the luxury"... more like he had the fortitude to trade the best player on his roster, a top 5 winger, at age 24. Previous Oiler GM's in particular weren't so bold as to make these trades (RNH, Yak, Hall, Eberle, Gagner, or the draft picks leading to those). You are blaming the guy for his starting balance sheet, which quite frankly was a mess (see previous seasons' records).

He also made the decision NOT to trade Draisaitl. Another great decision.

Perhaps it's because I was of the opinion that they should have traded him for defense years ago. That's just me.

You can eye roll all you want, it's blatantly obvious that Chia just signed the biggest wingers he could. And honestly, the Lucic contract isn't very good. Had he gotten a deal, it would be a lot more impressive.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Jeff Gorton of NYR has to get consideration here.

Getting Zibanejad AND a 2nd from Ottawa for Brassard, especially in light of how Zibby has performed since coming here, looks like trade of the year.

Then you have the Vesey signing, which was difficult because so many other teams were in the running for him, and the kid has performed pretty well despite hitting the usual college player wall.

Brought Buchnevich over from Russia, not an easy task when there was talk he'd stay another two years.

But best of all, he absolutely crushed all his value signings: Grabner, Holden, and Clendenning (the Pirri signing was not bad either).

I'm biased of course, but Gorton really did do an amazing job with seemingly little resources (from the perspective of NYR being up against the cap and having no draft picks or a ton of prospects). Everyone expected this team to regress.

I've thought that Gorton is one of the best hockey minds in the game for some time... however I give New York the majority of the credit in landing Vesey. Rangers have a history of landing free prospects and free agents... this hasn't been because of everyone scrambling to play for Sather either, it's been because of Location. Now if Gorton was in Winnipeg and he managed to land Vesey, or Jersey, or on the Island... than I'd be super impressed...but I'm certain he wouldn't have been able to do it.

Vesey isn't in New York because Gorton is a master persuader, I'd almost go as far as to say Vesey phoned him haha.

The rest appear to be nice moves, and sometimes the less you do.. the better. Which appears to be case in New York for Gorton.

Hate to admit that I think Chia deserves it, he's made a ton of moves. A few of them could come back to bite him (hello Lucic/Reinhart), as early as next year. However the Talbot trade looks genius, and the Hall for Larsson trade looks necessary, and took some serious....
5b0777274e337c3d676db4a41a679546.jpg

This is without talking about a lot of the little moves that are working out for him too.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Fletcher's case is actually a bit weird, because beyond Staal and Stewert, who have both been great, the Wild's success this season is largely a culmination of a long term plan that finally succeeded. Very little of it was done this year.

Since being able to bring in Suter/Parise when they had the #1 prospect pool in the league, the plan was to get a number of vets and their time to contend would be when the young guys start to peak with the Vets still playing at a high level.

Wild fans were getting disillusioned with the plan, because the young guys largely didn't seem to be panning out to what we had hoped. There were good moments here and there, but they were looking like 40 point guys instead of 60 point guys we were hoping for.

If those young guys acquired between 2010 and 2013 (Granlund, Coyle, Nino, Dumba, Brodin, Zucker) hadn't taken that next step, the Staal signing would have still probably just left them around the playoff bubble. Not chasing a president trophy.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Fletcher's case is actually a bit weird, because beyond Staal and Stewert, who have both been great, the Wild's success this season is largely a culmination of a long term plan that finally succeeded. Very little of it was done this year.

Since being able to bring in Suter/Parise when they had the #1 prospect pool in the league, the plan was to get a number of vets and their time to contend would be when the young guys start to peak with the Vets still playing at a high level.

Wild fans were getting disillusioned with the plan, because the young guys largely didn't seem to be panning out to what we had hoped. There were good moments here and there, but they were looking like 40 point guys instead of 60 point guys we were hoping for.

If those young guys acquired between 2010 and 2013 (Granlund, Coyle, Nino, Dumba, Brodin, Zucker) hadn't taken that next step, the Staal signing would have still probably just left them around the playoff bubble. Not chasing a president trophy.
You forgot about the BB hire that put it all together. Bruce himself said that Fletcher actually flying out to meet with him made such an impression that, the Wild instantly jumped to the top of his list of available jobs.

Yes, hiring BB is a no brainer decision, but enticing him was a job that needed doing and Fletcher handled it perfectly.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Garth Snow:

1. Signed a marquee free agent to a team-friendly contract for seven years at 5.5 per
2. Signed two 4th liner's to team-friendly contracts for five years at 3.5 per
3. Did the right thing and kept a youth-oppressing coach for as much as the regular season he could get away with before conceding it wasn't working.
4. Got John Tavares the 1st line wing he's been needing.
5. Finally solved the 3 goalie monster by sending a goalie to the bridge.
6. Gave Matt Barzal ample opportunities to make the team during his nine game turnout
7. Allowed Anthony Beauvillier to go play for Canada's Junior team for the WC.

All in all, solid season for Garth :vhappy:

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
I think the way Lou has handled the media and the way he has sheltered the media from the kids has been a brilliant job. And a reason the kids have been as good as they are. You gotta remember this was the worst team in the NHL last year and they are actually fighting for a playoff birth.

Chia is a good candidate too. He was raked over the coals on the Hall deal and never looked back. I do think its unfair to penalize a guy for having an elite young player, he has done well in Edmonton

My pick would be Stan Bowman, he is in my opinion the best GM in the league bar none. Cannot believe with the turnover how Chicago never is uncompetitive

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I've thought that Gorton is one of the best hockey minds in the game for some time... however I give New York the majority of the credit in landing Vesey. Rangers have a history of landing free prospects and free agents... this hasn't been because of everyone scrambling to play for Sather either, it's been because of Location. Now if Gorton was in Winnipeg and he managed to land Vesey, or Jersey, or on the Island... than I'd be super impressed...but I'm certain he wouldn't have been able to do it.

Vesey isn't in New York because Gorton is a master persuader, I'd almost go as far as to say Vesey phoned him haha.

The rest appear to be nice moves, and sometimes the less you do.. the better. Which appears to be case in New York for Gorton.

Hate to admit that I think Chia deserves it, he's made a ton of moves. A few of them could come back to bite him (hello Lucic/Reinhart), as early as next year. However the Talbot trade looks genius, and the Hall for Larsson trade looks necessary, and took some serious....
5b0777274e337c3d676db4a41a679546.jpg

This is without talking about a lot of the little moves that are working out for him too.

The last big free agent signed by the Rangers was Brad Richards in 2011. Richards had a better offer on the table from Calgary. How many people thought the Rangers had a legitimate opportunity to sign Vesey? Not many. Gorton also brought Kevin Hayes to the Rangers in 2014. He was the AGM at the time but Sather didn't know anything about Hayes. Gorton and the Rangers were able to land two highly coveted college free agents. Going into the negotiations,nobody gave the Rangers a punchers chance on landing either player. The contracts are the same for everyone. Entry Level. Two free agents who can play. Not players who are coveted and barely play in the NHL. Vesey called Gorton to tell him he was signing with the Rangers after they met in Boston.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think the way Lou has handled the media and the way he has sheltered the media from the kids has been a brilliant job. And a reason the kids have been as good as they are. You gotta remember this was the worst team in the NHL last year and they are actually fighting for a playoff birth.

Chia is a good candidate too. He was raked over the coals on the Hall deal and never looked back. I do think its unfair to penalize a guy for having an elite young player, he has done well in Edmonton

My pick would be Stan Bowman, he is in my opinion the best GM in the league bar none. Cannot believe with the turnover how Chicago never is uncompetitive

Keith, Kane Crawford, Toews...they have the keys there, you get decent talent to go with and you will be tough to beat...period. I don't think it's as difficult as you made it out to be when they have elite talent at all the key spots.

Not saying it's easy either, but you don't need to be the best in the league with that elite core.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The last big free agent signed by the Rangers was Brad Richards in 2011. Richards had a better offer on the table from Calgary. How many people thought the Rangers had a legitimate opportunity to sign Vesey? Not many. Gorton also brought Kevin Hayes to the Rangers in 2014. He was the AGM at the time but Sather didn't know anything about Hayes. Gorton and the Rangers were able to land two highly coveted college free agents. Going into the negotiations,nobody gave the Rangers a punchers chance on landing either player. The contracts are the same for everyone. Entry Level. Two free agents who can play. Not players who are coveted and barely play in the NHL. Vesey called Gorton to tell him he was signing with the Rangers after they met in Boston.

I understand that the Rangers haven't signed a UFA in awhile, but is that because of the cap or because players don't want to sign there? What Ufa's have they coveted since Richards and lost out on?

Also.. nobody gave the Rangers a punchers chance of landing either player? That would mean that nobody thought there was any remote possibility that they would sign with the Rangers, correct? Nobody gave the Winnipeg Jets a fighters chance to land Vesey... However Vesey's agent himself gave the Rangers much more a punchers chance... this was even before Vesey becoming a UFA, he pretty much called them a favourite.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/14/harvard-hotshot-jimmy-veseys-camp-sees-a-fit-with-rangers/

“I think to any free agent, the Rangers are an interesting option,” Peter Fish, the representative for coveted pending unrestricted free agent Jimmy Vesey, told The Post. “It’s special playing in the Big Apple.”

“To be honest, it looks like there are a couple holes in their lineup that he could fit into,” Fish said. “If it were one of those years where the Rangers were just stacked, from first line to third line, then maybe it would be different.

“I couldn’t envision a scenario where the Rangers wouldn’t want to make a pitch, and they would definitely be a possibility

Again...it looks like Gorton really didn't have to do much arm twisting here. I really don't think an argument can be made that the Rangers aren't a desirable place to play for players.

As I said before, I think Gorton is a phenomenal hockey mind, but its difficult to give him credit for signing a UFA/when he's got NY (and the history of the Rangers) working as his trump card.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Keith, Kane Crawford, Toews...they have the keys there, you get decent talent to go with and you will be tough to beat...period. I don't think it's as difficult as you made it out to be when they have elite talent at all the key spots.

Not saying it's easy either, but you don't need to be the best in the league with that elite core.

But that's the point Crawford wasn't a part of cup number 1, it's easy to deconstruct a team, harder to build something. Even harder to put it together and win a championship but the hardest is keeping up being a contender every year under a cap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad