NHL General Manager of the Year Award

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
I know its kinda a silly award, but who do you think deserves consideration?

Who made the best trade?

Who made the best offseason signing?

Who made the best waiver pickup?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Toronto makes the playoffs I wonder how much consideration Lou Lamoriello would get? Let's remember he did make the trade for Frederik Andersen and he's part of the reason for the Leafs success so far this season.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
If Toronto makes the playoffs I wonder how much consideration Lou Lamoriello would get? Let's remember he did make the trade for Frederik Andersen and he's part of the reason for the Leafs success so far this season.

What did the Leafs do other than sign Anderson? Their roster is pretty much the same aside from 3 super rookies.

Does that garner a GM award?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What did the Leafs do other than sign Anderson? Their roster is pretty much the same aside from 3 super rookies.

Maybe with all the years Lou has been a General Manager some might feel it's time he wins the award. So I think that could also be a factor.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Yeah, Lou Lam or Chia Pet have good cases. As does Jarmo over in Columbus and The Fletch. They weren't as dramatic or risk-willing as Chia or Lam, but they've both been putting together quietly solid moves to put their respective teams in great positions.

Steamwhistle

Nov 10, 2014
Toronto

Well, they traded for Andersen first, he wasn't a freebie UFA signing. And Lou added Zaitsev who's looking like a solid top 4 D. Throw in a few depth signings and I think it's a pretty decent resume before even getting to the trade deadline.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Well, they traded for Andersen first, he wasn't a freebie UFA signing. And Lou added Zaitsev who's looking like a solid top 4 D. Throw in a few depth signings and I think it's a pretty decent resume before even getting to the trade deadline.

He also managed to make Robidas and now Lupul disappear, somehow. Although that may be something kept quiet.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Gorton stealing Zibanejad from Ottawa, signing Grabner (25 goals for 1.6M), trading a 4th for Holden (who has been very good for the Rangers), and signing Vesey should easily put him in contention.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
gorton or fletcher. plus its not even definite that toronto makes the playoffs although they probably sneak in. it can't be that hard to pick guys like matthews and mcdavid ;)

BakedYams

Jan 14, 2017
Biased but if oilers make it to the playoffs being above the Wild Card spots I would like to think Chia has a decent shot. Same goes for Lou and the leafs.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
I'll probably get some hate, but I hold Mcdavid against Chia. It's easy to improve a roster when you're gifted a generational talent.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Chiarelli has made huge moves, retooling most of our roster. Lucic, Letestu, Maroon, Kassian, Caggiula, Sekera, Larsson, Russell, Benning, Talbot.

Lucic and Maroon are our two best LW's, although Lucic has struggled mightily recently. Letestu has been a very important player this year. Kassian is a huge addition to the team culture and provides something we once lacked. Caggiula and Benning were two very good college signings. Sekera, Larsson, and Russell have been our three best defencemen IMO. Talbot goes without saying.

He completed redefined the identity of the team. Sure, getting McDavid helps, but he has added our three best defencemen, our two best left wingers, our #1 PK forward, and our #1 goalie along with another defenceman in Benning who is playing lights out.

I think he has the case for GM of the year, especially seeing the change in standings after one year.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
Chiarelli has made huge moves, retooling most of our roster. Lucic, Letestu, Maroon, Kassian, Caggiula, Sekera, Larsson, Russell, Benning, Talbot.

Lucic and Maroon are our two best LW's, although Lucic has struggled mightily recently. Letestu has been a very important player this year. Kassian is a huge addition to the team culture and provides something we once lacked. Caggiula and Benning were two very good college signings. Sekera, Larsson, and Russell have been our three best defencemen IMO. Talbot goes without saying.

He completed redefined the identity of the team. Sure, getting McDavid helps, but he has added our three best defencemen, our two best left wingers, our #1 PK forward, and our #1 goalie along with another defenceman in Benning who is playing lights out.

I think he has the case for GM of the year, especially seeing the change in standings after one year.

And you still probably aren't in a playoff position without Mcdavid.

I'm not suggesting he wasn't great. But based on my perception, the Oilers are (right now) as good as Mcdavid makes them.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Home pick for Fletcher. Three moves, all having a great impact. The prices on the roster moves factor in to the score as well. cheap!

Chia...i guess you have to sort of admire him for finally just saying screw it and making that lopsided trade that ended up (IMO) being the difference. I don't doubt at all he tried for a long time to trade for D, but when everything dried up he had the balls to do that. If it hadn't worked out he would be disappeared, I think. Trade value wasn't great, but effect on the team (which is what it's all about) +++

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
oilers at the start of the year last year were 2nd place until McDavid got hurt... Don't think Chia deserves it since he was gifted a generational talent. Without him this year doubt they're anywhere close to where they are now.

I'd say as of now Fletcher would be the front runner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad