NHL Gamecenter Live - Review/Discussion

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
It's looking like I'm going to have to go with NHL Gamecenter Live this season. I usually go with the NHL package via cable but I may be moving around Dec/Jan so I need a product I can easily take with me.

Does anybody else here use Gamecenter to get their Ducks games? How reliable is it? Video quality? I'll be using either my Xbox or Sony TV to get the games on my tv. I'm hoping the video quality is good HD with no/little delay in the feed. It would suck to have a delay while trying to post in the GDT threads.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I used gamecenter last season with bearshare as a proxy, worked good, but might try hockeystreams this season because I wanna watch Karlsson/Kerdiles/Noesen/Manson a lot.

Game center
Pros
Can use on any TV or computer in my house, as well as xbox and playstation.
Good quality
Good to have when bored to re-watch games replays

Cons
No minor league games/olympic/etc like Hockeystreams
48 hour blackouts to watch local games
blackouts for local games
2 minute delay

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It's looking like I'm going to have to go with NHL Gamecenter Live this season. I usually go with the NHL package via cable but I may be moving around Dec/Jan so I need a product I can easily take with me.

Does anybody else here use Gamecenter to get their Ducks games? How reliable is it? Video quality? I'll be using either my Xbox or Sony TV to get the games on my tv. I'm hoping the video quality is good HD with no/little delay in the feed. It would suck to have a delay while trying to post in the GDT threads.

The quality is very good and it's as reliable as your internet connection. I run it off my cellphone hotspot and there's no issue.

But there's a significant delay from real time, sometimes as much as 2 minutes. Sometimes the score on the NHL.com crawl will change before the feed you're watching shows a goal has been scored.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for the responses, guys.

I'll have to look into this Hockeystreams thing since I'd like to watch Norfolk as well. Spicy's comments regarding delays is kind of worrisome. :/

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Wow, just perused the Hockeystreams site. Had to send a request to be "invited" to register. Has anybody used this site for a whole season? Almost seems too good to be true. :laugh:

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Hockey streams is the much better value, although it's going to have similar delays. I opted for game center because it's legal. Not that I've never watched unauthorized streams in my life or won't again, but i just prefer to support the copyright owner in most cases.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Ah damn. I'm a true Capitalist so I pay for products I think are good. I want my money going to the correct places. May have to go with Gamecenter on principle. If I can find the funds I'll get the AHL package too. :nod: But between going to Northeastern games and watching Ducks games I'm not sure I'll have time for Norfolk.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
This is going to be my third season with Gamecenter. I enjoy it thoroughly. I was able to convince my brother to go halves on it with me last season which was awesome. I have it to watch any other game and to catch the Ducks when I'm traveling. Very happy with it. Also if you're a nerd like me you get to watch classic games too. It only works on the website rather than the app and there's connection issues with me but it's cool watching some old games.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I'm a big gamecenter fan - the classic games are awesome and I have never had issues with the quality other than the ****** delay.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Does gamecenter only show live games or can you watch them later? If so, how later? Immediately after game is done, later than night, a week later?

How long do they keep the games up? All season, a week, month?

I cut the cord w/ cable and can use a proxy just want to make sure I get to watch the content a few hours after a game is done (rarely watch games live).

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Does gamecenter only show live games or can you watch them later? If so, how later? Immediately after game is done, later than night, a week later?

I cut the cord w/ cable and can use a proxy just want to make sure I get to watch the content a few hours after a game is done (rarely watch games live).

They put up past games a day or two later (I believe it's 48 hours for a local game). They keep old games up for a long time. I recently watched Bonino's first game back in 2010 for ***** and giggles. I spent all summer watching past games to familiarize myself with the new players.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

Current season games are available all year. Prior seasons games are available in the archive going back to 07-08. If you miss the live broadcast, the game is available to watch in 24-48 hours depending on the market.

If you can get to the game within am hour or so of the ending point, while the "this game has ended" logo is still up, you can rewind to the beginning and watch it. You can then pause the game after it's begun to play and watch it later - I used that trick a few times to avoid the playback delay.

andyolly

Jun 4, 2014
SoCal
I love GameCenter but not getting to watch local games is frustrating (such as if I'm not home, I wanna watch on my laptop but can't). Other than that, the only issue I've ever had is the PS3 application for it. Nothing but problems consistently for a few years. Despite that, it's still worth it in my opinion.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
Ah damn. I'm a true Capitalist so I pay for products I think are good. I want my money going to the correct places. May have to go with Gamecenter on principle. If I can find the funds I'll get the AHL package too. :nod: But between going to Northeastern games and watching Ducks games I'm not sure I'll have time for Norfolk.

You can still find some free illegal streams for Norfolk games, so you probably shouldn't get the AHL package. It's not very good quality anyways.

I'm considering getting GameCenter Live, but I don't know how to get past the local blackouts. Does anybody know how to do it? PM?

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I've always felt GCL is something that is much better for non-NA people rather then NA people, mainly as we're usually barely affected by the blackout rules (I'm not even sure if games on Pay TV here even get blacked out). The quality is great, though the actual FPS(?) can fluctuate at times as it feels the screen is lagging a bit. Ability to watch on demand just after the game finishes is nice, as well as the classic games as mentioned above and it's a pretty fair price (though I think NA based people have to pay more then $100?)

However I'm considering going to HS this season, firstly because of all the extra games they show from CHL to AHL etc. Also as I spoiler myself so many times here when posting in gameday threads because it's usually 30-45 seconds behind the action for me :laugh:

Don't think have to worry about HS shutting down, IIRC they are based in the Netherlands and they don't really care :sarcasm:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You can watch archived games from the moment they finish. It's not 24 hours anymore.

andyolly

Jun 4, 2014
SoCal
Is it based on the address you register with or the location you are logging in from? if it's the latter then couldn't you just use a vpn to log in from a different location to watch our local games?

Honestly I'm not sure. I haven't actually left So Cal since I've been using it (sad, I know) so I haven't tried that. I would assume it's based on where you are located, so that people who live out of market (i.e. Ducks fans in New York for example) can watch their team. Does that make sense?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad