GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2020- VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I can't imagine too many players out there favour JJ and many GMs are well aware the Dewaware North struggles....Perhaps we should be speculating players will not be rushing to Boston and GMs will make Don's job more difficult as Don attempts to change the make up of the team.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I can only laugh at the inability of this team to ever sign someone who will make a difference or even draft someone who will. Out of the 4 Boston teams they are the worst at it.

Patriots - sign someone who makes an impact once and awhile but draft guys who can make an impact

Celtics - sign guys on occasion who can help but draft guys who can

Red Sox - idk baseball that well but Sox always spend and have gotten names in the past and have drafted well.

Donny is just inept

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I can only laugh at the inability of this team to ever sign someone who will make a difference or even draft someone who will. Out of the 4 Boston teams they are the worst at it.

Patriots - sign someone who makes an impact once and awhile but draft guys who can make an impact

Celtics - sign guys on occasion who can help but draft guys who can

Red Sox - idk baseball that well but Sox always spend and have gotten names in the past and have drafted well.

Donny is just inept

Don’t think Sweeney gets enough credit for that quick retool to get another run out of this core. The Pens also did it. The Hawks are now bottoming out for the second time. The Kings are 6 years out and still at the bottom. Obviously this week has been a shit show and it’s not Sweeney’s first so don’t label me some Sweeney guy with Pom poms, but he didn’t bribe his way to GM of year either.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I can't imagine too many players out there favour JJ and many GMs are well aware the Dewaware North struggles....Perhaps we should be speculating players will not be rushing to Boston and GMs will make Don's job more difficult as Don attempts to change the make up of the team.

With all due respect I gotta think this is a bunch of nonsense.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
2 people in the how many he has drafted?

He's overseen 6 drafts. With that, you have to figure on average it takes a player 3-4yrs to reach the NHL post draft (unless their a top 5-10 pick). So really that leaves 2-3 drafts where you'd expect players to be on the NHL roster.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That 6 million would cover like 100 working stiff salaries. Are we stealing from Monty Burns or from regular folks? I want to say Monty Burns, but losing 2/3rd of your revenue stream with no end in sight ain’t great.

Look at it this way.

What is the point of icing a successful team from a business sense? To generate more revenue.

The National TV contracts are already locked in. I don't know if Ad revenue for Bruins games on NESN (which Jacobs owns 20%) if fixed for next season.

If you can't put people into the building, if you can't sell tickets, and in conjunction the added merchandise revenue and concessions revenue, the quality of your team really has no bearing on your bottom line.

What does affect the bottom line is COST. That is something he still has control over. I'd love to see what their scouting budget has been the past 3 years. Because considering how many players they've took from the Green Bay Gamblers and Youngstown Phantoms, and practically ignore the CHL with it's long trips and increased travel expenses, I'm guessing its been cut.

Back in 2006 when the Bruins bottomed out, the only reason IMO Jacobs decided to clean house by turfing MOC and reducing Sinden's role was he saw 3 or 4 thousand empty seats in his building each night and given the anger (for some fans post-Thornton trade) and apathy among others, he was staring at 3-4 thousand empty seats (or more) for the foreseeable future. If he had been selling out the building I don't think he gives a hoover dam how bad the team is.

This is the same guy who left the building with the Leafs up 4-1 in 2013. That says it all about his love for the Boston Bruins and Bruins hockey. The Bruins are simply an investment vehicle to make money to him.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
He's overseen 6 drafts. With that, you have to figure on average it takes a player 3-4yrs to reach the NHL post draft (unless their a top 5-10 pick). So really that leaves 2-3 drafts where you'd expect players to be on the NHL roster.

maybe play some of his high draft picks?

he doesn’t trade them and Cassidy doesn’t play them.

either have to shit or get off the pot at some point.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Look at it this way.

What is the point of icing a successful team from a business sense? To generate more revenue.

The National TV contracts are already locked in. I don't know if Ad revenue for Bruins games on NESN (which Jacobs owns 20%) if fixed for next season.

If you can't put people into the building, if you can't sell tickets, and in conjunction the added merchandise revenue and concessions revenue, the quality of your team really has no bearing on your bottom line.

What does affect the bottom line is COST. That is something he still has control over. I'd love to see what their scouting budget has been the past 3 years. Because considering how many players they've took from the Green Bay Gamblers and Youngstown Phantoms, and practically ignore the CHL with it's long trips and increased travel expenses, I'm guessing its been cut.

Back in 2006 when the Bruins bottomed out, the only reason IMO Jacobs decided to clean house by turfing MOC and reducing Sinden's role was he saw 3 or 4 thousand empty seats in his building each night and given the anger (for some fans post-Thornton trade) and apathy among others, he was staring at 3-4 thousand empty seats (or more) for the foreseeable future. If he had been selling out the building I don't think he gives a hoover dam how bad the team is.

This is the same guy who left the building with the Leafs up 4-1 in 2013. That says it all about his love for the Boston Bruins and Bruins hockey. The Bruins are simply an investment vehicle to make money to him.

You are the worst retired poster ever. :laugh:

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Carolina has a young developin team, Boston old declining team

Svec-Aho-TT

Slavin- Hamilton
Pesce
Core over this one

For sure Aho is the tipping point. I just can't put them over Boston yet if Boston keeps waxing them in the playoffs

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Anyone who thinks Sweeney’s on the hot seat or the roster is fatally flawed after they iced the most successful team last season until they got bumped off by the eventual champ in a bizzaro bubble tournament and were one game away from the Cup the year before, should probably take a couple deep breaths.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Is it just me or is this really the perfect time to "blow things up" and rebuild? Keep Pastrnak and McAvoy and get the house for everything else while they all still have value. Promote the kids that are ready and fill with cheap $1M players and rebuild quickly at FA next 2 summers as well as the draft.
IMO it is not only not the perfect time to blow things up, but it's actually the worst time. Nobody has money or room. You'd get minimal value for your assets and eat a ton of salary in the process.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
It’s Sweeney so the conversation is moot but saw someone on Twitter bring it up.

now that VAN acquired a top 4 LHD, are they out on OEL? I know there was that deadline but if Boston came and made an intriguing offer (not including Studnicka/DeBrusk) could it be revisited?

ylekot

Still evaluating..
Feb 2, 2010
Paxton Massachusetts
If JJ wanted to sell the B's he would have no problem selling now. There is plenty of money out there willing to take advantage of the panicked

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I mean, they haven't taken a CHL kid since 2017, but OK...

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
It’s Sweeney so the conversation is moot but saw someone on Twitter bring it up.

now that VAN acquired a top 4 LHD, are they out on OEL? I know there was that deadline but if Boston came and made an intriguing offer (not including Studnicka/DeBrusk) could it be revisited?
It's not the intrigue of the offer, it's the desire of the guy with the NMC. He set the deadline. Time's up.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Anyone who thinks Sweeney’s on the hot seat or the roster is fatally flawed after they iced the most successful team last season until they got bumped off by the eventual champ in a bizzaro bubble tournament and were one game away from the Cup the year before, should probably take a couple deep breaths.

sounds like we've moved on from free agency to damage control

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

Unless they're desperate to move OEL.... Which their salary cap says they should be...

They would be wise to hold onto him especially now that VAN is out.

As someone posted above their ask was Studs. I would gladly send them Vaak Moore ++ to get it done. Really would love some retention on OELs contract but I just dont see it happening considering the term.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You are the worst retired poster ever. :laugh:

I know right. :laugh:

You know what though, the past 5 days with all the comings and goings surrounding the Bruins and the NHL as a whole, the business side of this has really sunk in. For years we didn't care about Jacobs and the business side because the building was sold out, the team was generally good, and they spent to the cap.

Now it's noticed again. Internally their is something they aren't telling us. I thought Sweeney sounded like a politician on his Zoom call on Saturday, a lot of speaking out of both sides of his mouth. I don't think Sweeeny is stupid but I do think his hands are being tied internally to a certain degree.

To not even engage the Pietrangelo camp at all? Why, is Brandon Carlo about to emerge as a all-star two-way force?

To offer Hall a 3-year but why wouldn't you negotiate to find out that a one-year would be more palatable to him.

A 2-year offer to Dadonov? That's almost insulting to the point its not even a serious offer IMO.

Chara "will ultimately let us know" he said. What does that mean?

Krug saying he never received another offer since last year, and they pulled it off the table anyways.

Not being in on Schmidt at all when it was speculated a day earlier he was available.

Something here doesn't add up. And I think it starts with Ownership. They know something we don't.

Not to end on all doom and gloom, but maybe this is a good place to stop. I think we are looking at a pretty quiet next few months, and I got things to do that I've been putting off.

I know at this point its like the boy who cried wolf but I think I'm done here.

Take care and all the best! Go Bruins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad