GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2020- VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Is it just me or is this really the perfect time to "blow things up" and rebuild? Keep Pastrnak and McAvoy and get the house for everything else while they all still have value. Promote the kids that are ready and fill with cheap $1M players and rebuild quickly at FA next 2 summers as well as the draft.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Trade Krejci, trade Rask
Won’t happen because of Sweeney

I’m done
Zero faith for this management

The cap is in the best shape I’ve seen and they do nothing with it, don’t take advantage of anyone

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Is it just me or is this really the perfect time to "blow things up" and rebuild? Keep Pastrnak and McAvoy and get the house for everything else while they all still have value. Promote the kids that are ready and fill with cheap $1M players and rebuild quickly at FA next 2 summers as well as the draft.
No. We were in the stanley cup final last year and just won the presidents trophy. We have pretty much no kids that are ready and no teams have cap space for our bigger contracts.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No. We were in the stanley cup final last year and just won the presidents trophy. We have pretty much no kids that are ready and no teams have cap space for our bigger contracts.

Retain on them and sell.

Sweeney doesn't have what it takes to address any of the current issues in the lineup.

Reactions: Gordoff

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
Any chance Ducks make Hampus Lindholm available? Or the Wild & Jonas Brodin? Not that I'd be confident in our management to get them but I circled those names because both are teams we traded with recently. Anaheim likes getting our 1sts :)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Honestly what the hell are these rumoured 2-3 year offers for these top forwards, and asking Ari to retain 7 years and not give up a top prospect(shouldn’t have but just not realistic at all)

We constantly hear how they are on everyone but then lose every race

Going from Krug to Smith will do ..... for them
Not good enough to compete, not bad enough to get a high pick

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut

You highlight some important issues. But both Relatively successful years you mentioned, they were not good enough.

So to win it all, if that’s the goal, they need to be better than they were both of those years, right? (Unless we’re hoping to get in and have things break the right way come playoff time - - like TB and the Caps getting knocked out before we have to face them????)

Now, a year older Krejci, a year older and more banged up Bergeron, a lost Dman who was key to the PP... these facts don’t contribute to being BETTER than the last two years.

What they’d need to add would seem to be fairly substantial to me. Maybe a Hall (ooops, gone to see the falls for a year), a Pietro (rats, he’s getting fat in Vegas).... is Dadanov or Toffoli (now headed time Montreal) or a couple guys like that going to be enough?

I can see the merit in what the poster you responded to was saying, but agree with some of your sentiment on the challenges associated with a rebuild at this time. Retaining this core the past two years looks like it was the right move, especially the year of the run to the finals.

Doing so now may be less a matter of thinking the squad is a true contender and more driven by an inherent difficulty getting reasonable returns for members of the current roster.

Seems the bruins are stuck in the middle here, and despite the acknowledgement that changes are needed, no clear path forward, driving a waning confidence with many here with regard to getting significantly better this year OR setting the stage for the next several years.

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
a restricted free agent offer sheet of 4.9 million is only a first and a third
we weaken tampa a lot when we offer sheet Mikael Sergachev
at 6'2 and 220 he provides McAvoy with a big body partner... a 3 zone player
plays PP... kills penalties... is just 22.

whether we get him or not... we can offer sheet vince dunn 2.85 mill
the compensation is just a 3rd round pick... st louis deserves it after taking krug
at just 6 feet hes a bit smaller but a great skater... partner him with brandon carlo

give both guys back loaded deals so the offer sheet has to be jacked to keep them from ufa… both get 2 year offers. thats what players want now anyhow with this flatcap and high escrow.

sergachev can get 3.8 mill in year 1... 6 mill in year 2... and give him a NMC too since the expanstion draft is coming

vince dunn can get 1.7 mill year 1 and 4 mill year 2... if he isnt worth it we just thank him and say goodbye at that point and hope vaakanainen/zboril/ahcan are ready to replace him. giving him 4 mill next year might discourage seattle taking him, but even if they do take him he only costs us a 3rd round pick.

I hate to say it... but these guys are a lot better than Matt Grezlyck. if we manage to snag both of them, we will have to let Grezlyck go for the cap room. I guess we would also have to bury moore in the ahl, since I dont think he is tradable. and there wouldnt be room to bring chara back

I think a lot of fans here would drool over this new defense

sergachev/mcavoy
dunn/carlo
lauzon/miller
zboril/clifton

we'd probably get a second back when we trade grez… so this upgrade might only cost us a first and a third

it would eat up almost every dollar of our free cap space after we get debrusk signed but this is a cup winning defense. having moore in ahl gives us a great 9th dman for injury insurance when the cap doesnt count at playoff time too.

and even if tampa/st louis match... it still screws them on their sizable cap problems they are dealing with. the two teams that eliminated us the last 2 years... the last 2 cup champs... we can weaken both while strengthing ourselves a lot.

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if we are able to use the value of Bjork to convince someone to take moore {rather than bury him in ahl} this would create around 3 mill cap room for us.

I would be in favor of throwing a 1 year 3 mill offer to Anthony Duclair to replace Bjork... im not 100% convinced about this guy but he is now back to back 23/19 goal seasons... he can score

marchand/Bergeron/pastrnak {pray Bergeron is healthy}
debrusk/coyle/smith {I would roll these guys as our second line}
Duclair/krejci/kase {a little weak defensively but should feast offensively as a 3rd line}
Ritchie/kuraly/senyshyn {if they want nhl jobs... they are talented enough to grind}
wagner

sergachev/McAvoy {high octane can support the perfection line and also qb our pp}
dunn/carlo {dunn should get 2nd pp duty... carlo will be our top pk guy}
lauzon/miller {we tell these guys send a message... keep the other side honest}
zboril/Clifton {zboril might be blocked now but dunn might go to vegas next year... carry 8 dmen}

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Off season is not over so there is still a lot of time left to improve the team. Some teams will be in trouble because of their payroll or cap, Sweeneys job is to take advantage of those. I hope he will be aggressive enough to take some risks.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Off season is not over so there is still a lot of time left to improve the team. Some teams will be in trouble because of their payroll or cap, Sweeneys job is to take advantage of those. I hope he will be aggressive enough to take some risks.

Have you watched the last week?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Maybe the plan is to work a few kids in every year. They just brought in two 24 year old NHL level players last year and there’s what, two open spots as it is? Studnicka and a Defenseman...

Defense needed to get bigger - so they let Krug go.
Offense needed to get better 5v5 - so they signed a guy who’s great 5 on 5.

Maybe swinging for the fences was never the plan.

Not saying it’s the right plan, just trying to make sense of the whole thing.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
If Sweeney doesn't sign a dman we will not make the playoffs. Core is year older and Krug is gone, captain might retire and who knows if our players trust Rask. I think this should be time to start hoarding draft picks for 2022.
Controversial take, I know.

Today is the day of big moves, I hope.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
They aren’t trading for Weegar. They aren’t trading for OEL. They aren’t signing Dadanov or Hoffman. They aren’t trading Moore or anybody else that people want dumped because nobody wants them cold hard facts and truth. They will find away and sign both Grizz and Debrusk. I think they will possibly bring back Chara which would be great for him .. Hockey wise probably not. With all that being said they have zero cap space. I’m sure the Sweeney backers will say this and that but bottom line the deal never gets done.

Just please accept it and enjoy the season whenever it starts. You’ll see some of the young players play. Are they any good some might be some may suck. I’m not gonna make predictions on any of them. If this was the plan they should’ve moved Rask and DK and not signed smith but Sweeney disagrees. Also the offer sheets are not gonna work they are capped out and Tampa would match the offer they are letting him go so the bruins can take him.. no way lol plus it isn’t happening anyway. Why? I’ll believe it when I see it. Ask yourself one question if the players the bruins want how come none of them signed with them yet. AP and Hall are gone! No holdup now, really the bruins are just making offers they won’t accept and if they do it won’t hurt them in the long run. They put a price tag on you . You accept it or they walk away..

Reactions: chrisab123

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
At 16 minutes Pierre says he has NO IDEA what the Bruins are doing
Neither does he. Wtf. I tend to stick by the FO occasionally, but good grief, this has been a disaster after coming out and saying there will be changes.

Reactions: chrisab123
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad