GDT: NHL Free Agency | Friday, July 1st, 10am MT (NHLN, TSN) | Black Friday part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I bet that they were gonna pick Jost at #9 as well and pass on Sergachev. They seem like they're in love with Jost and would probably have even picked him 7th or 8th.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I know that Landeskog has a ton of support on this board, but fictionally speaking, would you guys' do...

Brock Nelson + Travis Hamonic for Gabriel Landeskog?

I would do that as long as Barrie was also being traded for say a Draisaitl, but not without the secondary deal already made.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I kind of wonder if the NHL is done trading for the summer. It's become way too quiet.

Not much typically happens after the first week in July until training camp. I think there were only 3 trades that happened in that time frame last summer.... maybe 1 the year before. The whole NHL pretty much shuts down for a couple months. Maybe some signings here and there, but that will be about it after development camps.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Not much typically happens after the first week in July until training camp. I think there were only 3 trades that happened in that time frame last summer.... maybe 1 the year before. The whole NHL pretty much shuts down for a couple months. Maybe some signings here and there, but that will be about it after development camps.

Right. Last year, I think the only large trade between this date and training camp was the Sharp trade. The year before, there were no notable trades in that time frame. We might see Fowler get moved at some point, but that would be all I can see happening. Really though, this has been the least active trading market I have seen in a long time. No major deals at the draft. Not a single trade on the 1st. Expansion must be putting a major lid on it all.

Really, the only interesting event left to see will be Vesey's free agency and the slim chance of an offersheet.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
At the very least, it seems Joe didn't fall for being pressured into making a deal. He's shown a willingness to be patient, and wait for the right deal, and now he's doing it again. This will at least gain him some respect in future negotiations. I get the feeling Chia thought he could bully the less experienced Sakic into a deal with some media tricks.

I'm not the biggest Barrie fan, but I'd much rather keep him for a two year arbitration deal, and figure it out later, than ship out Landy or Duchene to facilitate a swap of Barrie for another D man of similar ilk.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
At the very least, it seems Joe didn't fall for being pressured into making a deal. He's shown a willingness to be patient, and wait for the right deal, and now he's doing it again. This will at least gain him some respect in future negotiations. I get the feeling Chia thought he could bully the less experienced Sakic into a deal with some media tricks.

I'm not the biggest Barrie fan, but I'd much rather keep him for a two year arbitration deal, and figure it out later, than ship out Landy or Duchene to facilitate a swap of him for another D man of similar ilk.

Media tricks? How does that work?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Media tricks? How does that work?

You get Stauffer to repeatedly say things that aren't true like Roy called Barrie a #5 and Barrie isn't happy and wants out, and you get Dreger and all the other guys to say Joe is gonna trade Barrie any second for RNH and he won't get any more than that, so he feels like he should just get it over with.

GM's use the media all the time. They get a deal close, or they get a GM trying to stick to his guns, and they try to get them to budge by putting pressure on him with rumors and talking points. It pisses the other GM's off a lot too and sometimes backfires.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Oilers media at it again just now talking to Matt Kassian on the phone. They asked Kassian if the Sens have a reputation for being cheap around the league amongst the players. Kassian responds immediately and says yes. Right then and there it got my attention because I just knew they were going to bring up the Avs once again as a cheap franchise....2 seconds later, "I ask that because the situation in Colorado..." I let out some expletives haha. A few other gems from these buffons.

- Avs cheap on young players.
- Avs building a reputation as a team players dont want to play for
- Avs getting a reputation for not being able to sign their best players(stastny, ROR and now the Barrie situation)
- Avs have a salty/feisty coach that might steer potential UFA's away
- Kassian unsure why the Avs have a hard time signing the talented players. RFA issues are usually for guys in the bottom 6.
- Players dont want a reputation for being hard to deal with or hard to sign so why bother going to an organization that will stiff u at the negotiation table
-Praise to Yzerman for being able to sign his two biggest stars

That cheap thing bothers me because all you have to do is go to google and type in Colorado Avalanche cap space and surely you can see where they are currently and have been the last 3 odd years. The avs arent cheap they just spent some of their money on stupid **** like stuart and iginla. You cant even compare us to the Sens but the edmonton media just LOVE ******** on the Avs. Its almost as if they feel slighted that we havent given them Barrie for Nikita Nikitin or something.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
It's funny how chiarelli said things like he'd just wait for Joe to do something stupid after trading hall for Larson...

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
You get Stauffer to repeatedly say things that aren't true like Roy called Barrie a #5 and Barrie isn't happy and wants out, and you get Dreger and all the other guys to say Joe is gonna trade Barrie any second for RNH and he won't get any more than that, so he feels like he should just get it over with.

GM's use the media all the time. They get a deal close, or they get a GM trying to stick to his guns, and they try to get them to budge by putting pressure on him with rumors and talking points. It pisses the other GM's off a lot too and sometimes backfires.

So, Sakic would read/hear this Stauffer guy and think "My god, i have to trade Barrie because aparently Roy doesn't like him."? Is that how the plan should work?

Congrats to Sakic for not falling for it, tricky indeed.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So, Sakic would read/hear this Stauffer guy and think "My god, i have to trade Barrie because aparently Roy doesn't like him."? Is that how the plan should work?

Congrats to Sakic for not falling for it, tricky indeed.

You'd be surprised. I bet he got some calls from his agent asking him about it. Something that could potentially stall negotiations and initiate a trade.

Why do you think Hamonic's trade request leaked out, and why Snow said he wouldn't trade him to the team that leaked it? Snow was sticking to his guns instead of selling him for cheap, and some team tried to push it through with media pressure.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Oilers media at it again just now talking to Matt Kassian on the phone. They asked Kassian if the Sens have a reputation for being cheap around the league amongst the players. Kassian responds immediately and says yes. Right then and there it got my attention because I just knew they were going to bring up the Avs once again as a cheap franchise....2 seconds later, "I ask that because the situation in Colorado..." I let out some expletives haha. A few other gems from these buffons.

- Avs getting a reputation for not being able to sign their best players(stastny, ROR and now the Barrie situation)
- Kassian unsure why the Avs have a hard time signing the talented players. RFA issues are usually for guys in the bottom 6.
- Players dont want a reputation for being hard to deal with or hard to sign so why bother going to an organization that will stiff u at the negotiation table

That cheap thing bothers me because all you have to do is go to google and type in Colorado Avalanche cap space and surely you can see where they are currently and have been the last 3 odd years. The avs arent cheap they just spent some of their money on stupid **** like stuart and iginla. You cant even compare us to the Sens but the edmonton media just LOVE ******** on the Avs. Its almost as if they feel slighted that we havent given them Barrie for Nikita Nikitin or something.

One has to think that if Barrie filed for arbitration, the Avs offer must have been pretty ****, no?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
One has to think that if Barrie filed for arbitration, the Avs offer must have been pretty ****, no?

Not at all. Players file for arbitration all the time, it doesn't mean their offers are crap.

IMO the Avs have shown they are more than willing to give fair deals to their players. They are just not very willing to overpay. Duchene, Varly, Landy, and EJ have all gotten very fair deals and right around their market at the time. Even players like Holden, Guenin, McLeod, Mitchell, etc show they are willing to give fair deals to their players. They don't penny pinch... they just don't want to get into risky, overpayment deals.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
You'd be surprised. I bet he got some calls from his agent asking him about it. Something that could potentially stall negotiations and initiate a trade.

Why do you think Hamonic's trade request leaked out, and why Snow said he wouldn't trade him to the team that leaked it? Snow was sticking to his guns instead of selling him for cheap, and some team tried to push it through with media pressure.

I don't buy that, unless there are IN FACT some friction between them or if, you know, Barrie already feels under-apreciated by Roy and the organization, in which case, the "media trick" would just be the icing on the cake, but not Sakic's main problem.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

What really bugs me about when hockey media talks about the Avs its like they are not even trying to see things from the Avs mgmt pov. Whether you agree with it or not. Good reporting is being impartial and unbiased and giving your audience both sides and you get to make your own opinion from that.
Its like they arent even trying to do that. Like why is it so hard to sign Barrie like it was with ROR? Oh look they were both represented by Newport? Whats going on there ? is there something up with them and the Avs? Lets take a closer look at Barrie and why a team would be hesitant to pay him a large contract. ..etc, etc
Nope its all Avs are cheap. Thats it. Thats the narrative.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't buy that, unless there are IN FACT some friction between them or if, you know, Barrie already feels under-apreciated by Roy and the organization, in which case, the "media trick" would just be the icing on the cake, but not Sakic's main problem.

I think it's probably a low percentage trick every time, but that doesn't stop GM's from trying every trick in the book. Especially against inexperienced GM's, and especially when negotiations are stalling on their end, and they want to spark it up again.

If you look at the Hamonic example, that might have actually backfired and sunk a potential deal because Snow got principled and didn't want to show he was being bullied. You got to know who's more susceptible to the pressure.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Not at all. Players file for arbitration all the time, it doesn't mean their offers are crap.

IMO the Avs have shown they are more than willing to give fair deals to their players. They are just not very willing to overpay. Duchene, Varly, Landy, and EJ have all gotten very fair deals and right around their market at the time. Even players like Holden, Guenin, McLeod, Mitchell, etc show they are willing to give fair deals to their players. They don't penny pinch... they just don't want to get into risky, overpayment deals.

What would you call a fair deal to Barrie, that you suspect the Avs may have offered him?

And why would he pass it over to go to arbitration?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Players file for arbitration all the time, and it usually never gets to that point. Filing for it just puts a deadline on contract negotiations. That really should be the case here, and hopefully a deal everyone is happy with gets worked out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad