GDT: NHL Free Agency | Friday, July 1st, 10am MT (NHLN, TSN) | Black Friday part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
It would be nice to see another Winchester-like signing and then see Mitchell get traded. I wouldn't be opposed to Dominic Moore if he cost less than 1M. Ditto Matt Cullen.

Hope not. Mitchell is much, much better than people give him credit for here in my opinion (especially on a team that can't maintain puck control to begin with).

I think he's fantastic, and we are extremely luck to have him. He can easily slot into a 3rd line role, and even a second at a pinch when suffering bad injury through the team.

More that happy with Malkin.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah I don't get all the Mitchell hate, he's a solid 3rd 4th line player who can provide some offense

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hope not. Mitchell is much, much better than people give him credit for here in my opinion (especially on a team that can't maintain puck control to begin with).

I think he's fantastic, and we are extremely luck to have him. He can easily slot into a 3rd line role, and even a second at a pinch when suffering bad injury through the team.

I think he's awful. Extremely lazy, very low hockey IQ, and average defensively at best. For 1.8M per season he's too expensive for the 4th line and no, he's not nearly good enough to play on the 3rd line, let alone the 2nd line. This was more than evident last season. If someone can be signed for less than him, he absolutely should be moved for whatever we can get.

This team is dumb enough on-ice as-is, and Mitchell is part of the problem. If he can be moved, do it.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
I think he's awful. Extremely lazy, very low hockey IQ, and average defensively at best. For 1.8M per season he's too expensive for the 4th line and no, he's not nearly good enough to play on the 3rd line, let alone the 2nd line. This was more than evident last season. If someone can be signed for less than him, he absolutely should be moved for whatever we can get.

This team is dumb enough on-ice as-is, and Mitchell is part of the problem. If he can be moved, do it.

That's not valid at all. He's not purely some 4th liner. If he was plugged in to the top 6 he could still generate 40 points a season imo. You just can't win consistently with him there.

Malkin at 1.8 is better than what we can find for a 4th line cente In FA. Unless they moved him and added Matthias for a little more. He's definitely not the problem tho

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yeah I don't get all the Mitchell hate, he's a solid 3rd 4th line player who can provide some offense

I dont have a huge problem with him but he gets utilized wayyy to much in the top 9 throughout the year. If he's stapled to the 4th C then im fine but Roy seems to find a way to not do that.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

There's two Malkins, the one that makes you think 'wow, he's an upper-echelon #3C' and the 'how is he even in the NHL' one. Last season, he was more of the latter rather than the former, not to mention your #4C shouldn't be making 1.8 mil unless they're really good at something, which Malkin is not.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That's not valid at all. He's not purely some 4th liner. If he was plugged in to the top 6 he could still generate 40 points a season imo. You just can't win consistently with him there.

Malkin at 1.8 is better than what we can find for a 4th line cente In FA. Unless they moved him and added Matthias for a little more. He's definitely not the problem tho

That makes no sense at all. If Mitchell was ever capable of being a 40-point player, there'd be a team out there willing to take the chance on him and use him in a consistent top-9 role. Hell, he gets a ton of chances to produce here, he just can't.

Sure, it's just the 4C spot. But I'd rather Mitchell be traded for something and we sign a cheaper replacement, or sign someone better for the same money.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Nothing wrong with Mitchell getting $1.8m. He can play bigger minutes when he needs to. But if the Avs had to cut salary somewhere that would be one of the first places I'd look.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
It would be nice to see another Winchester-like signing and then see Mitchell get traded. I wouldn't be opposed to Dominic Moore if he cost less than 1M. Ditto Matt Cullen.

The Avs can't sign anyone without dumping a salary, IMO. I agree that Mitchell is the likely dump, but if not, they're going to have to really work to get their current 4 RFAs signed under the cap.

But I agree that they (rather badly) need a 4C who can PK. The Avs' forwards on the PK are a team weakness, IMO.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

I'd be a happier man if this 'hockey IQ' thing wasn't thrown around so much in here. So subjective.

In truth, I don't mind Mitchell at $1.8M - as long as it's the Mitchell of 2012-15. For most of this past season, he was horrible. But before that, I didn't mind him at all. While he's certainly limited, he's got some offensive skill, isn't a seive defensively, can play C or W, etc. He's fairly versatile.

My problem with him on this current roster, is that he's not a very good penalty killer, and we need one of those. I would have much preferred Matthias (or some other good PK guy) over Colborne for this reason.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
i remember times last year when the 4th line was the only one that could actually cycle the puck in the offensive zone. I'm not huge on them getting paid what they are, but if they can keep that up, so be it.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
if the Avs dump Mitchell somewhere, they are obligated to sign Drunk Jones as a replacement on our bottom six. he is still on the market. and I wouldn`t accept anything less. :yo:

otherwise, with no Holden, Guenin or Malkin on the team, who would be our scapegoat?!?!

and talking about signings, I hope we can bring one more depth player to keep Martinsen as the 13th forward. I may be the only one, but I`d go after Tootoo. would be fun a 4th line with him and Mcleod.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I think people are underestimating Pickard's bridge deal. Vasilevskiy just signed for $3.5m.

While Vas is the much more touted prospect, the NHL results are very comparable (especially considering the teams on which they play). Gibson and Jones signed their deals before last season as well with similar results.

The Avs themselves were even willing to pay Berra more money with a lesser record.

If Pickard's team has any sense, they will have to see with expansion looming, the fact that Picks already signed a 1 year prove it bridge, and with those comparables, that any bridge, especially if it is more than a 1 year deal needs to come in higher than what people are projecting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad