NHL franchises up for sale in the near future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Zack Attack said:
A fair amount of the revenues comes from attendance. If you continually get 11,000 per game, revenues go down.
Definitely a big part of revenues, but look at NJ. They somehow managed to make money with attendance under 80% and a payroll over $50mil. Advertising makes up a fair chunk, I'd imagine.

jb**

Zack Attack said:
It's all about attendance, the teams that possibly could be related due to poor attendance over the years are Buffalo, Washington, Carolina and Anaheim.

Pittsburgh is about to get a new arena, so I exclude them, Phoenix I believe should be included in that list, however its doubtfull they'd move.
The best solution for the NHL wouldn't be to relocate all of the teams, but contract a few, then relocate a couple to Portland and KC.
Where did you hear that Pittsburgh is getting a new arena? No arena = they will move.

SerialSeb

Sep 1, 2005
Where hockey lives!
Spooky371 said:
I listen Sens - Canes game at TV right now, and the arena are just vacuum, I think is the 1st team to considered for an eventual sale.

Ya me too and it's like 1 out of every 6 seat is empty.

Wonder what the attendance is?

If the top team in your conference comes visiting ti should be a sell out! non?

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
SerialSeb said:
Ya me too and it's like 1 out of every 6 seat is empty.

Wonder what the attendance is?

I'm watching it on Center ice and i'd be lying to you if I said it doesn't make me happy that they have rows upon rows of empty seats. Just makes me more optimistic about a team moving here.

SerialSeb

Sep 1, 2005
Where hockey lives!
Squiddy said:
I'm watching it on Center ice and i'd be lying to you if I said it doesn't make me happy that they have rows upon rows of empty seats. Just makes me more optimistic about a team moving here.

Well actually you and a lot of people actually.

In a lot of cities. At seems the NHL IS a hot commodity in some parts.

My guess is Carolina will be first but I think they maybe at least one more team moving before the end of the decade.

So 4 popular sites for NHL teams and probably only 2 teams available .

Hmmm... Someone is going to line there pockets in gold!

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
SerialSeb said:
Well actually you and a lot of people actually.

In a lot of cities. At seems the NHL IS a hot commodity in some parts.

My guess is Carolina will be first but I think they maybe at least one more team moving before the end of the decade.

So 4 popular sites for NHL teams and probably only 2 teams available .

Hmmm... Someone is going to line there pockets in gold!

God... if bettman wants ratings and a successful place to expand in the US, Houston is a great place. We supported our WHA team, IHL team and our AHL team doesn't do bad (would be better if it was the Stars' minor league team), but Houston is more of a pro sports place. Either way the Preds and Hurricanes look like the two teams who will relocate and both are young and good. I'm bias though.

Edit: We Also have 4 Groups trying to get an NHL team in houston and that's more than any other city.

99 fan

Oct 20, 2005
Senstown
First teams to go, Carolina and Anaheim. Now that disney is out as majority owners, that team would be a good bet to fold or relocate, you can only see so many empty seat every home game. As for the Canes, well the scene there tonight, considering one of the two undefeated teams was visiting, well just pathetic. Every second seat was empty. The London Knights draw better than that!

I really hope that Winipeg and Quebec get some consideration for future relocation sites now that economics of the game are stable. Never mind testing the American markets anymore Bettman, they just don't work. the novelty of having an NHL team won't wear off in Canada.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
I hope houston gets a team. Don't care about winnipeg as they were my favourite team before they moved, so I know the truth about winnipegs fanbase. On many nights I remember seeing a lot of empty seats. The white out would have never happend if it was not for the Calgary flames fans. Anaheim isn't going anywhere.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
SerialSeb said:
The Sens are not a big draw, at least not in the south.
Squiddy said:
I'm watching it on Center ice and i'd be lying to you if I said it doesn't make me happy that they have rows upon rows of empty seats.
Why would something like that make a hockey fan happy?

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Squiddy said:
Because my city is arguably the prime candidate for relocation.
Yeah, I think we get that already. I was more trying to point out your totally cavalier attitude towards tearing a team away from a community.

We've seen already that when the 'Canes win, the fans show up, but the team has been awful since their Finals appearance and are only now starting to turn it around. It's going to take a while for the fans to come back in the numbers they were before. That said, I have no idea about their ownership situation or arena deal. It's not like it's that easy for teams to pull up stakes and move.

mzon

Feb 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Squiddy said:
Houston will support any team that is winning.....

WOW, really!!! Put a winning team on the ice almost anywhere and they well sell tickets. Put a last place team on the ice and raise ticket prices every year and see how they do.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
MR. X said:
WOW, really!!! Put a winning team on the ice almost anywhere and they well sell tickets. Put a last place team on the ice and raise ticket prices every year and see how they do.
Carefull there, Mr X. Squiddy will only post about Nashville's attendance from last Saturday night and point to the fact that they are 7-0 and would be much better off in Houston. Sorry Squiddy, that is just the way that you have come off in this thread.

Who knows, there will probably be one or two moves by 2010 or 2012 but to our Pegger-transplant-to-Houston buddy keep an eye on those YoteJets, they may have a new arena, but contacts/leases are made to be bought out. Rich guys with expensive stuff do crazy things. I'm not so convinced the Preds will be out in the next 7-10 years, but Phoenix and Corolina... they have some great hockey fans, as any city does, may not be in their respective locations. But, I'm no Nostradaamus either.

newhavenbeast

Oct 24, 2005
ct/ma
i heard that the oilers might be moving. their attendance is pretty low, right? i wonder if they'd come to hartford...

se7en*

newhavenbeast said:
i heard that the oilers might be moving. their attendance is pretty low, right? i wonder if they'd come to hartford...

We'll probably only sellout every game this season. Pretty pathetic, huh?

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Based on what I've read in these forums from NEers and following the movements of teams and management, I feel pretty safe in saying that I don't think there will be NHL hockey in CT in the near future.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
AdmiralPred said:
Carefull there, Mr X. Squiddy will only post about Nashville's attendance from last Saturday night and point to the fact that they are 7-0 and would be much better off in Houston. Sorry Squiddy, that is just the way that you have come off in this thread.

Who knows, there will probably be one or two moves by 2010 or 2012 but to our Pegger-transplant-to-Houston buddy keep an eye on those YoteJets, they may have a new arena, but contacts/leases are made to be bought out. Rich guys with expensive stuff do crazy things. I'm not so convinced the Preds will be out in the next 7-10 years, but Phoenix and Corolina... they have some great hockey fans, as any city does, may not be in their respective locations. But, I'm no Nostradaamus either.

Ok why would they move the Coyotes? That market is growing very well and they have proven to support a team when they are doing well. Remember the white out (which was lame) ?

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
AdmiralPred said:
Based on what I've read in these forums from NEers and following the movements of teams and management, I feel pretty safe in saying that I don't think there will be NHL hockey in CT in the near future.

Probably not, but you can't forget the brass bonanza.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Squiddy said:
Ok why would they move the Coyotes? That market is growing very well and they have proven to support a team when they are doing well. Remember the white out (which was lame) ?
Really who has had the better attendance since 1998 the Yotes or the Predators?

Year Preds Yotes
98 17281 15548
99 16600 14991
00 15824 14224
01 14789 13161
02 13228 13229
03 13,177 15,592

Last year was only time they had more (02 was a tie).

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Squiddy said:
Great, I hope they are. Hopefully this new arena puts some life into the organization. Havn't been down there for a few years. However, I don't think there was much proof of team support a few years back when I would go there during the Brewer's spring training. Sure they had fans that turned out, but any market would, the old barn was rot, and for most the only hockey player they knew they had was Wayne Gretzky, and he is a partial owner (I know that is a very steep generalization). I just got a better vibe in Nashville than in Phoenix or Raleigh. There are a lot of transplants in Phoenix, hell they don't even follow the Cardinals of the NFL down there, alliances still remain from where they came. Again, a generalization.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
AdmiralPred said:
Great, I hope they are. Hopefully this new arena puts some life into the organization. Havn't been down there for a few years. However, I don't think there was much proof of team support a few years back when I would go there during the Brewer's spring training. Sure they had fans that turned out, but any market would, the old barn was rot, and for most the only hockey player they knew they had was Wayne Gretzky, and he is a partial owner (I know that is a very steep generalization). I just got a better vibe in Nashville than in Phoenix or Raleigh. There are a lot of transplants in Phoenix, hell they don't even follow the Cardinals of the NFL down there, alliances still remain from where they came. Again, a generalization.

Phoenix will do just fine. They are a growing market with now what is called a growing game. Their team has been very mediocre for years, but when they are competitive everything will be fine.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
triggrman said:
Really who has had the better attendance since 1998 the Yotes or the Predators?

Year Preds Yotes
98 17281 15548
99 16600 14991
00 15824 14224
01 14789 13161
02 13228 13229
03 13,177 15,592

Last year was only time they had more (02 was a tie).

Can you compair those stats to their perspective arenas? It also looks like they beat you out in 03.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
When I said last year I meant the last year played which was 03, the only time they've outsold us at the gate, overall we have a huge lead.....

I have no idea what you asked in your last question....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad