NHL franchises up for sale in the near future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
Wikipedia is telling me that the Gaylord center has 17,523. Also phoenix has a rapidly growing population and is 14th largest tv market while Nashville is 33rd. Houston being 10th.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Yes and those great hockey TV ratings are going to force a team to move...

Maybe you should focus on selling more tickets to the AHL team. I can't see a team relocating to a city that doesn't support pro-hockey now regardless of the level.

I'm work at a bank. If I mismanage your money on your personal account, then tell you "Well that's just a minor account, if you move your major business account here, I'll prove to you I can handle it". What would you tell me? You'd tell me to go jump in the lake or the gulf in your case. Now if your town cannot support the top level of minor league hockey what makes you think they'll support a major league team? Houston is not a hockey market. Portland, Winnipeg, Kansas City, Oklahoma City are all better hockey options than Houston.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
I always wondered why Portland keeps poping up as a relocation/expansion city? Has anyone here been to Portland? (I am assuming OR)

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
triggrman said:
Really who has had the better attendance since 1998 the Yotes or the Predators?

Year Preds Yotes
98 17281 15548
99 16600 14991
00 15824 14224
01 14789 13161
02 13228 13229
03 13,177 15,592

Last year was only time they had more (02 was a tie).

"Last year was the only time" because they finally moved into their new Arena in Glendale. The America West Arena was a dump that was not designed for hockey - literally. To fit a rink in there they had to remove lower bowl seats at one end and have the rink extend under the upper bowl. A third or more of the upper bowl seats are obstructed view. There are seats where you literally can only see half the ice.

Now for the first time the 'Yotes have an arena that can realistically be compared with the GEC.

edit: And the attendance numbers for the 'Yotes would have been significantly higher if they had played in Glendale all season - the new Arena didn't open until late December (Dec 27, 2003 was the inaugural 'Yotes game).

http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/news/story_details.php?ID=2141

After years of uncertainty and frustrations in trying to unearth a new home, the Phoenix Coyotes finally have a place to call home.

The state of the art Glendale Arena was on display on Saturday night for the first time, as the Coyotes debuted with a 3-1 loss against the Nashville Predators in front standing-room only crowd of more than 19,000.

They can say goodbye to an unfriendly hockey facility in downtown Phoenix and the 4,283 obstructed view seats – or should we say no seats – that come with it. Adios, to losing $25 to $30 million a year at America West Arena and being unable at attract high profile free agents due to their financial struggles.

Last edited:

Da Canucks

Aug 18, 2005
AdmiralPred said:
I always wondered why Portland keeps poping up as a relocation/expansion city? Has anyone here been to Portland? (I am assuming OR)

Portland keeps getting mentioned due to several factors.

1.)They support their WHL team.

2.) Good sized, growing city

3.) Have newish arena built and ready to have an NHL team play there

4.) An NHL team in Portland would only have pro-level basketball to compete with.

5.) Paul Allen has expressed interest in owning a team-especially after the new CBA.

As for San Diego, they do not have an arena that is NHL caliber. (The only arena they have that can hold more than 12K, is about 40 years old and is a complete pit.) In addition, San Diego has never been a big hockey market-they couldn't even keep a first place IHL team-just ask Rick Dudley and Don Waddell.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Squiddy said:
God... if bettman wants ratings and a successful place to expand in the US, Houston is a great place. We supported our WHA team, IHL team and our AHL team doesn't do bad (would be better if it was the Stars' minor league team), but Houston is more of a pro sports place. Either way the Preds and Hurricanes look like the two teams who will relocate and both are young and good. I'm bias though.

Edit: We Also have 4 Groups trying to get an NHL team in houston and that's more than any other city.

Wow, over two threads you're harping Nashville to be a surefire relocation bid because one game had bad attendance. The fact that there were TWO THOUSAND new season ticket holders and that attendance is UP compared to what it was in 03\04 for comparable games....those things don't matter. You're so hellbent on wanting a team that logic isn't going to change your mind. It doesn't matter that Leipold is on the BOG and just lead a fight sitting out a year to ensure that his team IN NASHVILLE would be healthy for years and years to come...or that he has one of the best teams in the league with a payroll that still puts him in a favorable position to receive 7-8 MILLION in revenue sharing...when he already pays next to nothing for a lease in Nashville...again...a game that conflicted with the biggest game of UT's season, wasn't in any of the partial season ticket plans and took place in a hellacious rainstorm during the world series didn't have the attendance you feel it should have(even though it HAS improved since the last seasons, proving that attendance is trending UP). No, these things don't matter to you. You feel Texas needs another team, and is likely to get one.

Man, and I thought the rambling ex-Jets fans were bad...at least they had a team to miss, and that could explain some of the delusions.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Squiddy said:
No you idiot you can make more money off your local television deal. Your examples are horrid (the bank? ***?) and someone from Nashville is telling me what a hockey market is after defending how much "Nashville" can grow. How are portland or Kansas hockey cities and Houston isn't? The scouts failed before and teams in Houston never failed their respective leagues just went under. Houston has more potential buyers than nashville has Corporate sponsers. Good luck can't wait to see your whopping 12,000 (potential to be what 15,000?) crowd cheer on the only undefeated team in the NHL. Have a nice day.
Yes, I'm the idiot.......

You guys shouldn't even have the AHL, you're not an AHL market. Complain all you want but Nashville attendance is growing, we're up over a 1000k from last year and that's only going to go higher.

Nashville had the Knights before the Predators. They averaged 5k in an arena that held 8k, the ECHL is one step down from the AHL and rarely have NHL talent on the roster unlike the AHL that is loaded with NHL talent. You guys have a great arena and can't even draw more than 5k, why on earth would someone want to move the NHL there. You're not supporting the NHL talent you already have.... Houston isn't even an AHL market...

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
triggrman said:
Yes, I'm the idiot.......

You guys shouldn't even have the AHL, you're not an AHL market. Complain all you want but Nashville attendance is growing, we're up over a 1000k from last year and that's only going to go higher.

Nashville had the Knights before the Predators. They averaged 5k in an arena that held 8k, the ECHL is one step down from the AHL and rarely have NHL talent on the roster unlike the AHL that is loaded with NHL talent. You guys have a great arena and can't even draw more than 5k, why on earth would someone want to move the NHL there. You're not support the NHL talent you already have.... Houston isn't even an AHL market...

That's your best arguement? A city that has a NBA,MLB, and NFL team isn't selling out their AHL team? HA... Houston isn't oklahoma my friend.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Da Canucks said:
Portland keeps getting mentioned due to several factors.

1.)They support their WHL team.

2.) Good sized, growing city

3.) Have newish arena built and ready to have an NHL team play there

4.) An NHL team in Portland would only have pro-level basketball to compete with.

5.) Paul Allen has expressed interest in owning a team-especially after the new CBA.
That's interesting, I thought Paul Allen had no interest in an NHL team.

I was just inquiring because I have been to Portland, have a few friends there, and think its a very nice city. Never thought of it as one to be a home to an NHL team, they love their Blazers. Although I know a few out there who'd love it.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Yes because all those other sports prove what a hockey market it is. Get a clue...

The Titans (funny we wouldn't have them if you guys would have supported them) have sold out every game they've ever played at home this does what for the Predators... Good arguement there....

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Squiddy said:
That's your best arguement? A city that has a NBA,MLB, and NFL team isn't selling out their AHL team? HA... Houston isn't oklahoma my friend.
:huh: The CHL does very well in Oklahoma, their teams outdraw many AHL teams.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
triggrman said:
Yes because all those other sports prove what a hockey market it is. Get a clue...

The Titans (funny we wouldn't have them if you guys would have supported them) have sold out every game they've ever played at home this does what for the Predators... Good arguement there....

Here's an arguement Nashville has one PRO SPORTS team and they can't sell out preds games when they are undefeated. Does that make nashville a hockey market? Move over minnesota nashville is the new hockey mecca.

se7en*

C'mon you guys, calm down. This type of behaviour gets threads locked! Trust me, I know. ;)

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
triggrman said:
Last time I check, Nashville had TWO pro sports teams and we have sold out 25% of our games so far....

I meant one other pro sports team. I don't know why I'm even arguing with a pocket of hockey fans in nashville when Mr Hockey said that the Houston would be a great place for the NHL.

Why don't you just say that you sold out 1 game instead of trying to make your city look better by saying 25%?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
AdmiralPred said:
That's interesting, I thought Paul Allen had no interest in an NHL team.

I was just inquiring because I have been to Portland, have a few friends there, and think its a very nice city. Never thought of it as one to be a home to an NHL team, they love their Blazers. Although I know a few out there who'd love it.

You are correct. Paul Allen has no interest in an NHL team.

But Paul Allen != Portland (at least not anymore).

For the longest time that was the biggest stumbling block to expansion or relocation to Portland. But Paul Allen no longer controls the Rose Garden Arena - he gave up control through a bankruptcy settlement to get out from under onerous arena construction debt.

From an earlier post of mine in another relocation thread:
Paul Allen != Portland

Paul Allen is not interested in Hockey, but Paul Allen no longer has any control over the Rose Garden - he gave up all interest and control though bankrupcy court. The new owners and arena management company are actively looking to fill the Rose Garden with more booked dates.

And the new Management Company just happens to have interesting NHL connections - It is owned by Comcast (you know that company that owns the Flyers and OLN) and operates the arena where the Flyers and 76ers play.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=28173
Quote:
The newest game in town? It’s the competition between Global Spectrum, the new operator of the Rose Garden, and the Portland Trail Blazers.

Global Spectrum began managing the arena Jan. 1 for Portland Arena Management, a Delaware-based limited liability company formed as a new entity by the 12 investment companies that are the bondholders of the Rose Garden. Oregon Arena Corp., owned by Trail Blazer owner Paul Allen, lost the building after it declared bankruptcy.

Global Spectrum bills itself as “the fastest-growing firm in the public assembly management field.†Its parent company, Comcast-Spectacor, owns the Philadelphia 76ers. Global Spectrum manages such facilities as Philadelphia’s Wachovia Center, where the 76ers play, the 28,000-seat FargoDome in North Dakota and several minor-league ballparks, along with the Arizona Cardinals’ new stadium in Phoenix.
Scanlon said the company will attempt to increase the number of dates in which the Rose Garden is used.
“To put 150 event days in, aside from Blazer and Winter Hawk games, is an achievable number,†he said. “Having 40-some-odd buildings throughout the country gives us the connections we need to get more things put together.â€

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Facts are facts, you guys need to take baby steps, go see those future NHL players you have now, and maybe one day in the future they'll look at Houston again. Try building on the AHL thing first.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
triggrman said:
Facts are facts, you guys need to take baby steps, go see those future NHL players you have now, and maybe one day in the future they'll look at Houston again. Try building on the AHL thing first.

What facts? You have not given me facts on anything relavant. What the fact that the AHL team doesn't sell out? Who cares even the manitoba moose don't sell out. Your NHL team doesn't sell out maybe Nashville should become an AHL city. Looks like you're certainly heading down that road. Here check out your precious ECHL attendance record. http://www.hockeyresearch.com/mfoster/business/echl_attn.html
Team AVERAGE AVERAGE AVERAGE AVERAGE AVERAGE AVERAGE AVERAGE AVERAGE AVERAGE
Nashville ----- 5,230 4,530 4,477 5,061 3,772 4,028 3,109 -----
[/qoute]

The most you guys averaged is 5,230 how impressive. So by using your basis Nashville should have never existed in the first place right? Maybe you should try building your ECHL franchise first. Your arguement is irrelevant on all accounts... thank you and have a nice day.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Like I said we averaged 5k for and ECHL team, which is what you guys are averaging for and AHL team. It's not that you all don't sell out the AHL it's that you only get 5k fans to show up for an AHL team that has NHL players. You want a big boy gun but can't even load a bb gun, I don't think so.

Get more than 5k to show up for an AHL team then come tell me what a great hockey market Houston is....

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
triggrman said:
Like I said we averaged 5k for and ECHL team, which is what you guys are averaging for and AHL team. It's not that you all don't sell out the AHL it's that you only get 5k fans to show up for an AHL team that has NHL players. You want a big boy gun but can't even load a bb gun, I don't think so.

Get more than 5k to show up for an AHL team then come tell me what a great hockey market Houston is....

Are you just spewing fake stats that you want to believe?
http://www.hockeyresearch.com/mfoster/business/ihl_attn.html

Our IHL team Averaged 10,000 plus and as the years went on and the team started to suck (not to mention the IHL was not big time) and the league started becoming hopeless we STILL averaged more than your best than the knights year in the ECHL. This is after the fact that for about 3 years everyone who was an IHL team knew that there was no hope left for the league. Again you show irrelevance, so you might aswell go back to the kicking, screaming and name calling.

Oh yeah.. BTW our AHL team does average more than your ECHL team did. Also this is the 3rd league where the Aeros have been apart and everyone here is getting sick of it.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Please show me where I've called you a name.....

The facts I used were the AHL numbers, since the IHL has been gone now for a number of years. Still doesn't change the fact that Houston isn't supporting the team they have.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
triggrman said:
Actually on second thought, I'm done with you, you don't have to show me anything else.

Besides I need to get ready to go to the game tonight. Ever been to an NHL game?

Yes I've been to many SOLD OUT games in dallas. I don't blame you from going I would feel ashamed if I had to make up senseless stuff to argue with someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->