NHL Eying 4 Cities To Resume Play In? Edmonton? Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Keep in mind that some of the players may have already had the virus months ago and not know it deeming them immune

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The virus has a 99.4% survival rate lol what are you talking about? Premiership had players test positive and they started on time

It is about timing and the uncontrolled spread of the virus. Players are to enter Phase 3 in 12 days and be in Phase 3 for two more weeks in the USA where it is spreading basically unchecked, whereas in Europe the virus was under control and players were already in their camps.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
What's funny about that. Their numbers are skyrocketing and thousands are dying?

No. What's funny about it is majority of the people in America don't care about taking any precautions even though it shows up on their TV... and then they complain about it .. relax buddy.

Reactions: Satoru Gojo

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Okay

this is funny

Edmonton and all their hard "work" may have pushed the NHL into naming them one of the hubs cities

Toronto and Vegas are the two cities that the NHL wants but the NHL may have no choice but to do Edmonton and Toronto

The Province and the city and have made it clear that they will do WHATEVER needs to be done and give the NHL complete control over the city

I do not know what happened with Vegas but from the hotel sides they are good to go for the NHL but something else has happened that has caused a problem with vegas bid-no idea what it is

But if the NHL wants to finish this season? They may have no choice but to play in Edmonton

Due to a very long story and longer explanation I won't be posting here again till either late December or early Jan 2021 --it has nothing to do with the fact the many mods and at least one Admin wants me gone--But I have a job on the outskirts of the hockey world that has caused my bosses to put into my contract that me posting on here will be "restricted"

IF you are curious about my rants or what

I am on Twitter jtshark71 and my rant blog www,therinkratdoes.com

but ladies and gentlemen, while Edmonton might not be the optional choice to restart the season...the NHL may have no choice in the matter.

But, as of right now all the MGM hotels in Vegas are planning to host the NHL for the playoffs, but somethings are out of their control

so to you flame stations, attacks stations and mock me as you like

The NHL does not want Edmonton as a hib city but they may have no choice in the matter-- WE are in a F--king nuts world right now

one whay or another, within the next 10 to 14 days the NHL will need to make a final decision on what to do this season

MY hater? TO your battle stations

see you guys when my contract expires

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I really would love the players to agree to a real quarantine once in the hub cities. I'm not getting a clear message on that. If players will walk in the city without restrictions own it and tell us now.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

This is the problem I have, I thought this was supposed to be a tightly run ship, but this is coming off more like a joke where the players/league are not taking things all that seriously and seemingly the players are even treating it like a summer vacation scenario while the league is betting on a lot of luck.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
This is the problem I have, I thought this was supposed to be a tightly run ship, but this is coming off more like a joke where the players/league are not taking things all that seriously and seemingly the players are even treating it like a summer vacation scenario while the league is betting on a lot of luck.

Sounds like school teachers.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

IIRC, wasn't there hearsay about Marner saying something about not wanting to play in Columbus [implied because boring or something] and Mackinnon saying Vegas would be nice? Stupid quips here and there by players saying they'd 'prefer' a certain city over another?

In all of this, it seems like only the player AGENTS actually cared about safety. League wants exposure [both media wise and strangely, in a weird way, Covid it seems] with their hub choices and players just want to, like you said, treat it like summer vacation still

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
IIRC, wasn't there hearsay about Marner saying something about not wanting to play in Columbus [implied because boring or something] and Mackinnon saying Vegas would be nice? Stupid quips here and there by players saying they'd 'prefer' a certain city over another?

In all of this, it seems like only the player AGENTS actually cared about safety. League wants exposure [both media wise and strangely, in a weird way, Covid it seems] with their hub choices and players just want to, like you said, treat it like summer vacation still

It was a direct quote by Marner.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
How bad is the ice going to be in Vegas with the heat and that many games going on?

Heat shouldn't be an issue. The amount of games could result in them running out of ice. They'll have to start with a thick sheet and build it religiously when it's not being used.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
I don't believe much of anything the present mayor states ftr and he's ample habit of being wrong before.

The COE is in an arena agreement where they are responsible for arena operations and expenses due to "owning it" while seeing little of the proceeds of ownership. The costs of arena operation, of security, of organizing and planning around this are the cities to bear. Making no mention of what disruption the bubble results in other business, other projects, etc.

I have little faith in Silly hall.

What portion of arena operations are the cities responsibility? OEG handles security, as well as event organization. OEG is solely responsible for maintaining the building.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I don't get their attitude. I try to avoid smearing anyone, but it's a really bad look if these players are not willing to give up a few weeks of their lives of just hanging out with their teammates. And then, if you are lucky enough to make it to the final 8, you should be happy to spend a few more weeks in that quarantine. It's just such a bad look on the players (if that is the case), when the fans are desperate to finish this season but the players would put all that at risk just to keep every second of freedom possible. They've had so much vacation time already, and will get a ton after the tournament.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
It was a direct quote by Marner.

Thought so.

I don't get their attitude. I try to avoid smearing anyone, but it's a really bad look if these players are not willing to give up a few weeks of their lives of just hanging out with their teammates. And then, if you are lucky enough to make it to the final 8, you should be happy to spend a few more weeks in that quarantine. It's just such a bad look on the players (if that is the case), when the fans are desperate to finish this season but the players would put all that at risk just to keep every second of freedom possible. They've had so much vacation time already, and will get a ton after the tournament.

They are selfish. That's the gist of it.
I believe Burke ripped players apart on an episode of Tim and Sid. Something about you got your vacation (the league shutdown/quarantine), now do your job and finish the season instead of all the whining about time away from family. I think he also quipped something about they are already away from them during the season so 2 months isn't killer, especially when they got 3 straight months with them already

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Heat shouldn't be an issue. The amount of games could result in them running out of ice. They'll have to start with a thick sheet and build it religiously when it's not being used.

Have heard that Seattle fans will be making a pilgrimage with buckets of rainwater, so shouldn’t be an issue.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This season is done and I do not see hockey till January

I actually don't see any hockey until they:
A- get a handle on things south of the border which at this point may be too much to ask, and
B- get a vaccine which probably is a year away for everyone at least.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Thought so.

They are selfish. That's the gist of it.
I believe Burke ripped players apart on an episode of Tim and Sid. Something about you got your vacation (the league shutdown/quarantine), now do your job and finish the season instead of all the whining about time away from family. I think he also quipped something about they are already away from them during the season so 2 months isn't killer, especially when they got 3 straight months with them already
Yeah I saw that already. I alluded to a point he made that after 2 rounds, that's 16 out of 24 teams going home, and the remaining teams should be pumped and focused on the cup at that point.

I also like his tact, of saying that there are so many jobs out there where you are away from your family for over half the year, and it's not much to ask that players focus on helping the industry you are in AND being as safe as humanly possible in a pandemic. Players should be lectured to on this one.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Who knew high and ever increasing salaries and a powerful players association, as well as agents would turn famous athletes into entitled whiners.

Also see... Jesse P, UFA

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
No stopping the train now, but I do think in the end they’ll make the smart decision and have both hubs in Canada where it’s more likely they’ll be able to get the playoffs completed. Players might rather it be somewhere like Vegas but end of the day they’re going to play wherever they have the best chance of finishing as safely as possible and generating as much revenue as they can, and fulfilling tv and sponsorship contracts.

The league is bleeding money, teams have to pay out over 300M in bonuses on Wednesday. Come hell or high water they are having the playoffs, handing out the cup and scrounging up ever bit of change they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad