NHL Expansion

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I wonder what Hextall can use to seduce them to take a player or picks instead of fudging the core of the team.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Let's wait and find out just how good Sanheim, Myers, and Morin actually are at the pro level before we start planning to offer up things to save them.

Yeah, but I still think it is worth looking at how teams worked with Vegas to keep their teams more intact while giving Vegas assets. Even looking now, just for information.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
Hextall will have to do some smooth maneuvering to avoid losing a potentially value player like Sanheim or Myers for nothing. It may include trading one of the sacred cows, for picks or other assets. Get your fainting couches ready.

RebusFlyer

May 21, 2017
Maybe Hexy can entice the Seattle Amazons to trade some of their future Number One Picks for having the Flyers leave a choice Player unprotected. :sarcasm:

:popcorn:

In a sense, this is the among the effects of what Hextall did with Schenn. Not saying that's why he made that trade, but it did convert a player who would have had to be protected for the upcoming expansion draft, into two first round picks who don't need to be protected.

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think regardless we will have to work out a deal for them to take someone or for us to protect our prospects. Especially if we don’t start using them as assets.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I wonder what Hextall can use to seduce them to take a player or picks instead of fudging the core of the team.

My first thought is Rubtsov. He won't be eligible for the draft and he's been jumped by other prospects we have so we could use him as incentive for Seattle to take Hagg or Morin. That would give them a young dman to build around and a young prospect probably ready for the NHL. It helps them build for better long term success and those 2 players will likely be a better return than they get from what most teams leave exposed

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I think (and I hope) that Seattle will take JvR. It's most logical option (for us).

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Maybe we should make a list of players of players who are eligible and ineligible for a 2020 (this seems to be the season for the next draft) Expansion Draft and put it in the first post so we are all on the same page?

Reactions: Ruck Over

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Let's wait and find out just how good Sanheim, Myers, and Morin actually are at the pro level before we start planning to offer up things to save them.

Morin is going to basically lose a year of development this coming season. By the time he gets his legs under him most of the season is gone. Barring any setbacks of course. Where will he be on the depth chart next summer?

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Morin is going to basically lose a year of development this coming season. By the time he gets his legs under him most of the season is gone. Barring any setbacks of course. Where will he be on the depth chart next summer?

Behind Myers and Sanheim and Hagg.

Where will he be by the end of camp next year?

Potentially higher than Hagg and Myers depending on how things play out. I know people here love Myers and hate Morin, but I don't see a Myers future any more likely than a Morin one outside of Morins injury.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Morin can't hold Myer's jock.
Morin was sent back because they were worried about his ability to protect the puck at the NHL level, they wanted him to focus on keeping his head up instead of watching the puck on his stick, they're not expecting a lot of offense from him, they just want him to what Hagg does, but better.

Myers is one of the top prospects in hockey, and combines size, speed and skill.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Sure. Sure. Sure.

Whatever you say is right, whatever I say is wrong.

Before Morin's injury issues started, I had him very easily above Myers because he was more efficient without the puck.

I don't expect either of Myers' nor Morin's offense to project well to the NHL.

I could be wrong, but let's not pretend that anyone's holding anyone's jocks here. These prospects aren't Gostibehere or Provorov.

Reactions: Flyotes

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Since there is no way there will be an Expansion Draft until 2020, Myers will no longer be exempt. He will have 3 Pro seasons under his belt:

17-18, 18-19, and 19-20

My early protection list prediction:

7 F, 3 D, 1 G

Giroux (NMC)
Couturier
Voracek
van Riemsdyk
Konecny
Patrick
Lindblom

Provorov
Gostisbehere
Sanheim

Goalie TBD (Hart is exempt)

My hope is that we work out a side deal similar to what Anaheim did with Vegas in order to protect Myers. We shall see.
I only disagree with the protection of JVR. Hextall May have made a really smart move. It’s uncommon that a high FA with that type of term and AAV doesn’t get some type of NMC/NTC restricting movement.

I have a feeling that come time of the ED... JVR with be the James Neal 2.0 of that draft. Good player with good metrics and production. The flyers won’t have to package much to JVR to seattle to get them to take him. At that time prospects like Frost, Ratcliffe, Allison, Rubtsov, and maybe 1 more may be in the NHL and he’ll be expendable. If not- he’s still a good guy to keep.... I think Hextall made a really smart move if he does what I think he’d be doing.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Im baffled that people are talking about JVR being expendable in expansion in 2 years before hes played a game of his new 5 year deal.

Such a weird fanbase.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Im baffled that people are talking about JVR being expendable in expansion in 2 years before hes played a game of his new 5 year deal.

Such a weird fanbase.

Well, people already think Voracek is expendable in expansion and he’s far better then JVR and put up 85 points so......:dunno:

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad