NHL Expansion

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I feel this is deserving a separate thread.

As I understand it, if Myers plays in the AHL this year then he would be exempt from the NHL Expansion since he would be a second year player when it happened. I may be wrong.

The biggest issue the flyers face is how to protect 4 defensmen in the expansion draft. In order of importance, they must protect provorov, ghost, sanheim and Myers.

The forwards they must protect in order of importance are patrick, couturier, konency, giroux, voracek and the rest are expendable as far as I'm concerned.

If I am right about Myers, I think he could be a victim of the expansion draft and have to play another year in the AHL to be exempt. If I am wrong about Myers, I could see jake traded or a d traded for an exemption player.

Paranthetically, someone in another thread said frost might not make the team in part because if he did they flyers would need to protect him in the expansion draft .

Last edited:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

As I understand it, if Myers plays in the AHL this year then he would be exempt from the NHL Expansion since he would be a second year player when it happened. I may be wrong.

The biggest issue the flyers face is how to protect 4 defensmen in the expansion draft. In order of importance, they must protect provorov, ghost, sanheim and Myers.

The forwards they must protect in order of importance are patrick, couturier, konency, giroux, voracek and the rest are expendable as far as I'm concerned.

If I am right about Myers, I think he could be a victim of the expansion draft and have to play another year in the AHL to be exempt. If I am wrong about Myers, I could see jake traded or a d traded for an exemption player.

Paranthetically, someone in another thread said frost might not make the team in part because if he did they flyers would need to protect him in the expansion draft .
I wouldn’t worry about it. The Flyers can package a couple of 2nd tier prospects and or a 1st to the expansion team to protect those 4 dmen. The Flyers also could choose just to protect 8 skaters overall since Frost likely won’t need protecting: Giroux, Couturier, Patrick, Konecny, Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim and Myers. It’s very unlikely an expansion team is going to take either JVR or Voracek since they would be big money for a 30+ year old.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I wouldn’t worry about it. The Flyers can package a couple of 2nd tier prospects and or a 1st to the expansion team to protect those 4 dmen. The Flyers also could choose just to protect 8 skaters overall since Frost likely won’t need protecting: Giroux, Couturier, Patrick, Konecny, Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim and Myers. It’s very unlikely an expansion team is going to take either JVR or Voracek since they would be big money for a 30+ year old.

Despite all the crap Jake takes on these boards, he is a excellent player. I think he would be taken even with his salary.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

Pro seasons count the AHL as well. This is his 2nd pro season. If the draft is next summer, he's exempt. But not 2020

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yep, everyone from the 2015 draft and before will be eligible. 2016, 2 year junior, 2 year AHL, not eligible. Frost, 1 year junior, 2 year NHL, not eligible.
Not sure of the rule for Euro players who haven't signed ELCs, does the clock start only when an ELC is signed even if they're in the SHL?
And college is not pro, so Allison and Laczynski, if they come out next summer would not be eligible.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Since there is no way there will be an Expansion Draft until 2020, Myers will no longer be exempt. He will have 3 Pro seasons under his belt:

17-18, 18-19, and 19-20

My early protection list prediction:

7 F, 3 D, 1 G

Giroux (NMC)
Couturier
Voracek
van Riemsdyk
Konecny
Patrick
Lindblom

Provorov
Gostisbehere
Sanheim

Goalie TBD (Hart is exempt)

My hope is that we work out a side deal similar to what Anaheim did with Vegas in order to protect Myers. We shall see.

Last edited:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Are the rules for the ED even set yet or are we just speculating based on the Vegas draft?

It remains to be seen what kind of impact a prospect like Myers can have in his first NHL season and if it even makes him a likely candidate to be taken.
Players like Giroux, Voracek, JVR will still have a magic shine in the eyes of a new team despite age or salary simply because of the past achievements compared to a then 23 year-old undrafted Phil Myers who may or may not have played a full season and expected modest offensive production, maybe not even double digit numbers.

Personally, I have no idea how this pans out and I doubt Hextall will deliverately dress a worse team to circumvent the ED rules. Too many variables that we don't know yet.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Are the rules for the ED even set yet or are we just speculating based on the Vegas draft?

It remains to be seen what kind of impact a prospect like Myers can have in his first NHL season and if it even makes him a likely candidate to be taken.
Players like Giroux, Voracek, JVR will still have a magic shine in the eyes of a new team despite age or salary simply because of the past achievements compared to a then 23 year-old Phil Myers who may or may not have played a full season and expected modest offensive production, maybe not even double digit numbers.

It was already announced that the rules will be the same.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Since there is no way there will be an Expansion Draft until 2020, Myers will no longer be exempt. He will have 3 Pro seasons under his belt:

17-18, 18-19, and 19-20

My early protection list prediction:

7 F, 3 D, 1 G

Giroux (NMC)
Couturier
Voracek
van Riemsdyk
Konecny
Patrick
Lindblom

Provorov
Gostisbehere
Sanheim

Goalie TBD (Hart is exempt)

My hope is that we work out a side deal similar to what Anaheim did with Vegas in order to protect Myers. We shall see.

In two years from now if a deal cannot be worked out, we may have to trade Myers for an exempt young d men who is less proven.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Maybe they can work out an agreement for Seattle to take their choice of Hägg|Morin (assumed he doesn't have an eye opening bounce back from injury) along with a little sweetener (mid round draft pick) if they insist on picking D.

I'm still baffledVegas picked Bellemare over Raffl :huh:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Despite all the crap Jake takes on these boards, he is a excellent player. I think he would be taken even with his salary.
Voracek is a great player but would be 31 with 4 years left at $8.25 million. Seattle taking him wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world with extensions to Patrick and Couturier coming up.

This will occur two years in the future. Farabee will likely be a pro by then with a possible full year in the AHL if he leaves after one college season. OBrien will likely be turning pro. Allison and Ratcliffe will have had at least a season in the AHL. Where are all these guys going to go? What’s the point of a stacked prospect pool if there are no spots for them?

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Voracek is a great player but would be 31 with 4 years left at $8.25 million. Seattle taking him wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world with extensions to Patrick and Couturier coming up.

This will occur two years in the future. Farabee will likely be a pro by then with a possible full year in the AHL if he leaves after one college season. OBrien will likely be turning pro. Allison and Ratcliffe will have had at least a season in the AHL. Where are all these guys going to go? What’s the point of a stacked prospect pool if there are no spots for them?

The best players take the bottom 6 spots u Fill it with the best 6 u can and trade away the players that don't fit or are not good enough when they become waiver eligible for draft picks or young waiver exempt players to keep ur pipeline refilling. Imagine having a bottom 6 like this in 2 years

Lindblom frost Allison
Farabee vorobyev O'brien

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In two years from now if a deal cannot be worked out, we may have to trade Myers for an exempt young d men who is less proven.

I'd prefer we do what Anaheim did and work out a deal with Seattle to not select Myers. They gave Vegas Shea Theodore so that they would select Clayton Stoner over Josh Manson. I'd gladly give Seattle a 1st round pick or maybe we draft a dman in the 2019 Draft and use him as a bargaining chip with Seattle to protect Myers?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The best players take the bottom 6 spots u Fill it with the best 6 u can and trade away the players that don't fit or are not good enough when they become waiver eligible for draft picks or young waiver exempt players to keep ur pipeline refilling. Imagine having a bottom 6 like this in 2 years

Lindblom frost Allison
Farabee vorobyev O'brien
So the rest of the forward prospects end up being traded for scraps like 3rd rd picks just to keep big money 30 year olds in JVR and Voracek? Doesnt seem like a very good use of resources. What do you think a no longer waiver eligible prospect like Rubtsov would be worth having spent 3 years in the AHL?

Last edited:

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
So the rest of the forward prospects end up being traded for scraps like 3rd rd picks just to keep big money 30 year olds in JVR and Voracek? Does seem like a very good use of resources. What do you think a no longer waiver eligible prospect like Rubtsov would be worth having spent 3 years in the AHL?

The plan is not limited to the bottom 6 it goes for any roster spot and I wasn't saying keep all the vets if a kid takes a spot from a vet then u trade the vet if a vet asks for too much money u trade him and replace him from within. Just like trading Simmonds now who do u replace him with? We don't have anyone that can replace any of the top 6 yet but in 2 years we may.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I'd prefer we do what Anaheim did and work out a deal with Seattle to not select Myers. They gave Vegas Shea Theodore so that they would select Clayton Stoner over Josh Manson. I'd gladly give Seattle a 1st round pick or maybe we draft a dman in the 2019 Draft and use him as a bargaining chip with Seattle to protect Myers?

How ironic would it be to give away a First Round Selection to protect an Undrafted Player?

... Not in any way commenting on the merits or lack thereof of the suggestion they should... or should not... merely an amusing observation on my part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad