NHL Exceptional player status

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
When does the NHL define the status of the player? It has to happen before the season starts or rely on mesurable rules

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Given 40% of the CHL exceptional players have turned out to be pretty meh, i'm not sure why we'd think the NHL would automatically be better at it.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Never will happen... yzerman said they should actually move the Draft age to 19.

Imagine if they did that just before McDavid’s Draft. :)

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Malkin and Ovi could've played in the NHL at age 16. They were big enough.

Not sure about Crosby or McDavid as they are smaller players.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
"Connor is the best player in the league so for sure he’s unique, very special. At 16 he could have played in the NHL, but he couldn’t because of the rules and legal stuff, but he would have had 80 points,” said Chara.

There is an Exceptional player status in CHL. It isn't very rare, that also in top Euro Leagues are playing 16- years old kids, sometimes also 15-years old.

There was also a talk, that the draft year should rise to 19.

But why dont the league want an Exceptional Player? With all the new improved training methods, nutrition, mental preparation it could be possible, that players like McDavid or Crosby could play in the league as 16, 17 years old.

- Exceptional status could happen but I am not sure what kind of problems will arise. Labor law etc? It's happening in Europe, but I don't know the differences in laws regarding this. If it's something only reserved for players like McDavid and Crosby, I don't see why it can't be done.
- Draft age to 19 is something I have brought up in the past. They can go for a hybrid form, where 18-year olds can only be selected in the 1st round, and the rest of the draft to be 19-year olds.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Why fix it if it's not broken? They are kids, not guaranteed NHL-players. Just look at Sean Day. CHL expectional status doesn't mean ****.

Yeah, but that is a lesson, others could learn from. Exceptional would not mean, that in every draft year should be such player. That would be used only for true exceptional players. Like Eric Lindros.

Now you have player drafted when they are 17 years old (Crosby ...) . One year minus you have still a player, that could compete with NHL players.

Btw. Gretzky and Mario. Were they build for NHL also in their 17?

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Imagine a 16 year old player getting into a fight with a 30 year old player. Who would feel comfortable with that? And with that, now imagine the 16 year old guy knowing nobody would fight him because he's a minor and therefore just running players not having to answer the bell.
In a sport where fighting is somewhat tolerated, children should not be paired up with men.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yeah, but that is a lesson, others could learn from. Exceptional would not mean, that in every draft year should be such player. That would be used only for true exceptional players. Like Eric Lindros.

Now you have player drafted when they are 17 years old (Crosby ...) . One year minus you have still a player, that could compete with NHL players.

Btw. Gretzky and Mario. Were they build for NHL also in their 17?
I believe that's why Gretzky started in the wha so he could play in a men's league under 18 . Him and Mario would be fine at 17,

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Most that age are too physically under developed to play in a league with 200+ pound fully grown men.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
European hockey is significantly less physical, and their people are less litigious.

I think a big difference is that European roster is slightly larger, you can ease those 15 and 16 year olds in roster by giving them 1-2-3 shifts in their first game (often they just sit the entire game on the bench for their first "game") without really hurting your rotation. And they probably play their minor league games in the same city so the burden is much smaller. The entire business is just different (except perhaps KHL), not just the insurance / liability side of it.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I'm in favour of this, but not for getting them into the NHL early. Exceptional players can be drafted earlier, which gives them (what you'd hope would be) a far more professional and targeted development path throughout some crucial formative years. They wouldn't be focused on what the junior club needs as such as the player himself.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Pretty feeble understanding of the Liebeck case

Sorry...I just have enough common sense to NOT dump a hot beverage in my lap. My interest in the Liebeck case is zilch.

But the actual point was, in some countries, some of the people like to try and sue anyone for anything. The U.S. happens to be one of those countries. And if they allowed 16 year olds into the NHL...yes, there would likely be a lawsuit at some point.

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
American labor laws is why this couldn't happen. It's why prospects can't play in the AHL until they're 18.

Europe has different labor laws, so that comparison is moot.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Sorry...I just have enough common sense to NOT dump a hot beverage in my lap. My interest in the Liebeck case is zilch.

But the actual point was, in some countries, some of the people like to try and sue anyone for anything. The U.S. happens to be one of those countries. And if they allowed 16 year olds into the NHL...yes, there would likely be a lawsuit at some point.

Because common sense immunizes people from having any sort of accidents

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Because common sense immunizes people from having any sort of accidents

If you're looking for someone to have yet another "nitpick" mega thread on HF boards...I'm going to take a pass.

The point was if they allowed 16 year olds into the NHL there would likely eventually be a lawsuit in the US.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
American labor laws is why this couldn't happen. It's why prospects can't play in the AHL until they're 18.

Europe has different labor laws, so that comparison is moot.

That an AHL by-laws not American Labor laws, actors can play in Hollywood movies working a lot of hours at 17 and 16 year's old can work in a garage 40 hours shift. 16 years old and over is quite open work wise.

A lot of those rules come from powerful Canadian minor league lobbying to keep their players as much as possible.

For example:
Nelson Skalbania, the owner of Indianapolis Racers, signed the 17-year-old future superstar Wayne Gretzky to, at that time, an unprecedented personal contract worth between $1.125 and $1.75 million over 4 to 7 years; then as now, the National Hockey League's rules did not permit the signing of 17-year-olds.

During the first month of the 1978-1979 season Greztky was playing pro hockey has a 17 year's old.

Seem to indicate that the 18 year's old rule is a NHL rules, not a US law are we sure of that, in Canada minors can have full time jobs without any issue.

It would be much easier for a kids to legally get out of a long contract signed before they were 18 too I would imagine.

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
That an AHL by-laws not American Labor laws, actors can play in Hollywood movies working a lot of hours at 17 and 16 year's old can work in a garage 40 hours shift. 16 years old and over is quite open work wise.

A lot of those rules come from powerful Canadian minor league lobbying to keep their players as much as possible.

For example:
Nelson Skalbania, the owner of Indianapolis Racers, signed the 17-year-old future superstar Wayne Gretzky to, at that time, an unprecedented personal contract worth between $1.125 and $1.75 million over 4 to 7 years; then as now, the National Hockey League's rules did not permit the signing of 17-year-olds.

During the first month of the 1978-1979 season Greztky was playing pro hockey has a 17 year's old.

Seem to indicate that the 18 year's old rule is a NHL rules, not a US law are we sure of that, in Canada minors can have full time jobs without any issue.

It would be much easier for a kids to legally get out of a long contract signed before they were 18 too I would imagine.

It's an NHL rule as the labor of minor is meticulously regulated in the United States. It would change the very fabric of the CBA and its negotiations. The NHL nor the PA doesn't want to have to deal with that. Its the same reason why the MLB can't sign underage players domestically but do so freely internationally.

Reactions: MadLuke

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
If you're looking for someone to have yet another "nitpick" mega thread on HF boards...I'm going to take a pass.

The point was if they allowed 16 year olds into the NHL there would likely eventually be a lawsuit in the US.

Then maybe you shouldn't make silly statements regarding a woman who had an accident and seriously go hurt and just putting it off as someone "lacking common sense".

If you don't know the details at the very least don't make uninformed statements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad