NHL Exceptional player status

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
"Connor is the best player in the league so for sure he’s unique, very special. At 16 he could have played in the NHL, but he couldn’t because of the rules and legal stuff, but he would have had 80 points,” said Chara.

There is an Exceptional player status in CHL. It isn't very rare, that also in top Euro Leagues are playing 16- years old kids, sometimes also 15-years old.

There was also a talk, that the draft year should rise to 19.

But why dont the league want an Exceptional Player? With all the new improved training methods, nutrition, mental preparation it could be possible, that players like McDavid or Crosby could play in the league as 16, 17 years old.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Which team gets the player with the status?

Unless Im misunderstanding you, or the OP, I think the answer is no "team" gets him, but that the NHL would identify someone like McDavid as exceptional, and therefore he would be eligible to enter the draft at 16 or 17 for whomever picks him.

I like the idea. No idea if it would really ever happen, McDavid is a stud, but would he really have been ready to take on the physical rigors of the NHL at 16?

I assume there would be some legal requirements as well, and they might even have to institute special rules for what these really young players are allowed to do in the NHL.

Also CHL drafts 16yos right? So if McDavid left for the NHL at 16, but then needed to be sent down, how would that work if he was never drafted to a minor team?

Cool concept, not against it, but obviously there is a lot of questions about how it would work if at all.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
16 year old super phenom, the first player ever to be granted exceptional status to play in the NHL had his knee blown out in a game last night in what was an obvious cheap shot by notorious cheap shot artist who has incurred multiple suspensions over the course of his 12 year NHL career. The 32 year old vet insists it was not his intent to injure the kid, but on the advice of counsel he declined further comment.

What now for the NHL and their budding superstar, whose career now is on hold indefinitely, and perhaps even in doubt?

cue up the lawsuit.

That's why the NHL doesn't do exceptional status for kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: iamjs

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Why fix it if it's not broken? They are kids, not guaranteed NHL-players. Just look at Sean Day. CHL expectional status doesn't mean shit.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
18 year old super phenom, and first overall pick had his knee blown out in a game last night in what was an obvious cheap shot by notorious cheap shot artist who has incurred multiple suspensions over the course of his 12 year NHL career. The 32 year old vet insists it was not his intent to injure the kid, but on the advice of counsel he declined further comment.

What now for the NHL and their budding superstar, whose career now is on hold indefinitely, and perhaps even in doubt?

cue up the lawsuit.

Also works for a 22 year old.

They dont allow it because they are not physically ready for the day in and day out of the NHL, not because of the concern of a single cheapshot.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nah. What if McDavid got his head scrambled by a guy like Chara when he was 17? That’s bad for everybody. He may have had the talent for the nhl at 16-17, but almost nobody has the physical side or the awareness they need to have then. Few even have it at 18. It’s fine the way it is.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
This would be really great right up to the point where the nhl got a 16 year old killed and then had to shut down

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
It's all fun and games until

Attachments

• BUFF.JPG
    BUFF.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 27

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Also works for a 22 year old.

They dont allow it because they are not physically ready for the day in and day out of the NHL, not because of the concern of a single cheapshot.

a 22 year old, a 18 year old, i.e. adult, can legally assume that risk. a 16 year old cannot. And the league would be crazy to expose themselves to that liability.

Therefore it will not ever happen. not even for a Eric Lindros kind of physical phenom 6'4 225lb 17 year old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helistin

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
For those talking of lawsuits, the euro leagues have underage players. They aren't swamped with lawsuits.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
a 22 year old, a 18 year old, i.e. adult, can legally assume that risk. a 16 year old cannot. And the league would be crazy to expose themselves to that liability.

Therefore it will not ever happen. not even for a Eric Lindros kind of physical phenom 6'4 225lb 17 year old.

A legal guardian can sign for a 16 year of for liability. It isn't about some 32 year old goon and a cheap shot, it's about not being ready to for total physical game. May also have something to do with schooling, but that's just a guess.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
As already stated, a 16yo isn't physically ready for the daily NHL grind.
Heck even 18yo bodies aren't, and at 20 it's pushing it.

Physiologically speaking, men are at their peak strength between 25 and 33. Putting an 18yo out there tends to lead to at least one if not more long term injuries than you see in the 20+yo players. A 16 or 17yo would be even worse.

The draft age/minimum age for the league should really be changed to somewhere between 20 and 24, but that'll never happen.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Lower leagues benefit off of good players too. It's what keep them healthy and profitable. Not to mention it ceates a system that helps develop players for the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBar

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
I've read before that there are far fewer business/labor regulations in Europe than the United States, because they mostly see things like the minimum wage as a cheap, half-assed substitute for serious collective bargaining rights. There are probably more direct, legal reasons not to allow someone under 18 to work in the United States than there would be in Europe, where workplace standards and safety are upheld through strong unions rather than written law. This could have nothing to do with the actual reason Europe allows those under 18 and the NHL doesn't, and it could even be not true at all! But I've heard the premise a few times and it makes intuitive sense to me.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
"Connor is the best player in the league so for sure he’s unique, very special. At 16 he could have played in the NHL, but he couldn’t because of the rules and legal stuff, but he would have had 80 points,” said Chara.

There is an Exceptional player status in CHL. It isn't very rare, that also in top Euro Leagues are playing 16- years old kids, sometimes also 15-years old.

There was also a talk, that the draft year should rise to 19.

But why dont the league want an Exceptional Player? With all the new improved training methods, nutrition, mental preparation it could be possible, that players like McDavid or Crosby could play in the league as 16, 17 years old.
The rules are fine.

Maybe we leave well enough alone.

Also, McSavus got hurt in his first season. Which is probably the biggest worry. So him as an example is probably not good.

Reactions: Dustin

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Having a player as good as McDavid in the CHL drives up the overall skill of the CHL, as the other kids have to figure out how to play against him.

Reactions: snipes

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
In the article, when Chara is asked about defending against McDavid when he isn't as quick as he used to be Chara responds "How do you know I'm not as fast? The game is faster so how can I get slower?" So do those that give credibility to Chara's statement about McDavid playing at 16 also believe Chara is currently faster than he's ever been? That he hasn't lost a step (or a few) over the last 21 years of NHL play?

P.S. Regarding under age 18 players playing in top leagues in Europe...IMO the larger ice size, significantly slower gameplay speed, less games played and massively less physicality makes it a lot different than a player doing so in the NHL

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Having a player as good as McDavid in the CHL drives up the overall skill of the CHL, as the other kids have to figure out how to play against him.

Exactly. For the same reason I like that CHL players have to go back to junior and can’t go to the AHL, they benefited as 16-17 year olds playing those high end 19 year olds. It’s what keeps the CHL as the best development league in the world.

Reactions: Monsieur Gustave H

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->