NHL Exceptional player status

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'm in favour of this, but not for getting them into the NHL early. Exceptional players can be drafted earlier, which gives them (what you'd hope would be) a far more professional and targeted development path throughout some crucial formative years. They wouldn't be focused on what the junior club needs as such as the player himself.

This is what I was thinking too, but the downside would be a team could draft a McDavid level player, not be good for those 2 more years, and still draft #1 or 2 again with a superstar coming to their team soon. Could you imagine if a team drafted a McDavid level player then, before he gets into the league and makes them relevant again, they draft a Mathews/Eichel?

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
As great as McDavid is he would not have been physically ready to play against the men in the NHL at 16 or 17. Since he and Crosby are really the only 2 benchmark players in the last 20 years that could potentially have used this type of loophole to get to the NHL early, I don't think it is in any way a good idea.

Reactions: haveandare

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
It's an NHL rule as the labor of minor is meticulously regulated in the United States. It would change the very fabric of the CBA and its negotiations. The NHL nor the PA doesn't want to have to deal with that. Its the same reason why the MLB can't sign underage players domestically but do so freely internationally.

I am still not convinced here and the fact that the major sports seem to all have different entry age rules (LGPA do accept minors from time to time) does not make it that clear how much it is laws or convention (or minors league pressure)

Youth & Labor | U.S. Department of Labor
FLSA restricts the hours that youth under 16 years of age can work and lists hazardous occupations too dangerous for young workers to perform.

Reading this:
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
or here
https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/statutes/FairLaborStandAct.pdf

There is a list of sector that regulate under 18 (explosive, dangerous farm work, cars, etc...) that I am not sure it include sports.

Here it says that:
https://thesportjournal.org/article/age-requirement-in-professional-sport/
The LPGA, NHL and PGA have a waiver option for athletes who are younger than 18,
which enables athletes an opportunity to turn pro before the age of 18 if they fulfill certain requirements.

It seem you have the right to be draft has long you turn 18 september 15 of your draft year, the day just after training camps start, making you a signed player for a couple of months at 17 I presume.

If the MLB can sign and use a 17 year's old playing game in the USA at 17, I feel that it is indicating that the reason's they cannot draft domestic player that are under 18 player's are not legal reason.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Sorry...I just have enough common sense to NOT dump a hot beverage in my lap. My interest in the Liebeck case is zilch.

But the actual point was, in some countries, some of the people like to try and sue anyone for anything. The U.S. happens to be one of those countries. And if they allowed 16 year olds into the NHL...yes, there would likely be a lawsuit at some point.

Companies can't serve objectively dangerous products and expect not to get sued. Plain and simple. McDonald's served their coffee at dangerously hot temperatures - coffee served at a normal temperature would not have resulted in such horrific burns.

Check out some pics of her burns.

Regardless, the NHL would never allow minors to play and for good reason.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Draft age should be changed to 19 or 20.
Not only is it a much more accurate projection of the players in the draft, but the people are more physically, mentally and emotionally mature.

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
I am still not convinced here and the fact that the major sports seem to all have different entry age rules (LGPA do accept minors from time to time) does not make it that clear how much it is laws or convention (or minors league pressure)

Youth & Labor | U.S. Department of Labor
FLSA restricts the hours that youth under 16 years of age can work and lists hazardous occupations too dangerous for young workers to perform.

Reading this:
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
or here
https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/statutes/FairLaborStandAct.pdf

There is a list of sector that regulate under 18 (explosive, dangerous farm work, cars, etc...) that I am not sure it include sports.

Here it says that:
https://thesportjournal.org/article/age-requirement-in-professional-sport/
The LPGA, NHL and PGA have a waiver option for athletes who are younger than 18,
which enables athletes an opportunity to turn pro before the age of 18 if they fulfill certain requirements.

It seem you have the right to be draft has long you turn 18 september 15 of your draft year, the day just after training camps start, making you a signed player for a couple of months at 17 I presume.

If the MLB can sign and use a 17 year's old playing game in the USA at 17, I feel that it is indicating that the reason's they cannot draft domestic player that are under 18 player's are not legal reason.
Those are the federal laws. It gets way more complicated state by state.

Legal working age - Wikipedia

Scroll down to United States.

Reactions: MadLuke

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Sounds like a good way to rush a bunch of kids and have them start the league as middling players instead of coming in and really making noise.

I seriously, seriously doubt McDavid would have scored 80+ at 16.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Those are the federal laws. It gets way more complicated state by state.

Legal working age - Wikipedia

Scroll down to United States.

Yikes ok yes, 50 laws that can change anytime to go by, with some saying:
  • General Restriction: No employer shall be permitted to work a minor more than forty hours in a week or more than eight hours in any twenty-four-hour period.
And I see that in states where tv/movies that often need very long days and not respect school days production are popular like Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, they are either non strict or make a special case for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSituation

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I would imagine owners/teams wouldn't be happy with players being able to apply to enter the league at their discretion. Imagine how pissed the Oilers would be if they missed out on McDavid bc he went to the Panthers the year before he should've been drafted by birthdate.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
You should research that coffee lawsuit. That old lady had some pretty serious burns. It wasn't frivolous. What's ridiculous is people suing McDonalds for making them fat. That actually happened.
Yea the poor lady's life was ruined from that incident and she died in pain all she wanted was her medical bills but Mcdonalds refused. Mcdonalds spread alot of propoganda online making her look like a cheater and sad to see it has worked on alot of people.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Sorry...I just have enough common sense to NOT dump a hot beverage in my lap. My interest in the Liebeck case is zilch.

But the actual point was, in some countries, some of the people like to try and sue anyone for anything. The U.S. happens to be one of those countries. And if they allowed 16 year olds into the NHL...yes, there would likely be a lawsuit at some point.
Are u serious? Search up what actually happened in the case have some empathy. All she wanted originally was to get her medical bills covered she wasn't looking for a payday. She probably wouldnt have even sued at all if the great country of America had universal healthcare.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No way is the NHL ever going to have a minor in the league. Too many legal and liability issues involved.

LGPA do accept minors from time to time
Complete non-contact sport that carries no where near the liability issues, never mind the fact that it only operates just a few days/week only in daylight hours.

Hockey is far too physical a sport to put minors against full grown men for 82gms/yr.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yikes ok yes, 50 laws that can change anytime to go by, with some saying:
  • General Restriction: No employer shall be permitted to work a minor more than forty hours in a week or more than eight hours in any twenty-four-hour period.
And I see that in states where tv/movies that often need very long days and not respect school days production are popular like Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, they are either non strict or make a special case for them.
Tv and movies have to adapt their schedules when working with minors. They don't make exceptions to the rules.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
What would be the benefit to this?
This guy gets it – what's the point of rushing in.

If this would be allowed, you would just want to start setting new records on "youngest player to play in NHL" and that would not make the league go forward at all, in fact it would most likely only boost the amount of injuries. There's no real need to introduce 16 year old players like in europe, where the lack of talent causes the younger people being drawn in to the pro teams.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Tv and movies have to adapt their schedules when working with minors. They don't make exceptions to the rules.

If it didn't change it is still 1o hours days and they have ways to get around the when school is in sessions limited hours days for the 16-17 usually they are simply not in school anymore:
Hollywood’s Phony-Diploma Mills Help Underage Actors Labor In Film Biz Underground

But usually 15-17 minors get an high school diploma so they are by guild rules and California work law jas adults for the industry and they can work adult schedule:

Passing the exam gives you the equivalent of a high school diploma, and grants the status of “legal 18” in the California entertainment industry. This means an actor who is 16 or 17 can legally work adult hours, including overtime, and no longer needs a teacher on set. They also no longer need a work permit, as their legal obligation for a high school education has been met for the state.

http://www.thestudioteachers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/LEGAL-18.pdf

Maybe it recently changed, but that was really common.

I would imagine that it would often be the case for the others states that attract a lot of production to have similar type of loophole, when not already have a stipulated different set of rules for the entertainment industry in the child works rules (you can work as a 6 year's old in front of the camera in a movie/tv series but not at the grocery stores for examples).

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Eric Lindros could've played at 15.
I'm not even exaggerating.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If it didn't change it is still 1o hours days and they have ways to get around the when school is in sessions limited hours days for the 16-17 usually they are simply not in school anymore:
Hollywood’s Phony-Diploma Mills Help Underage Actors Labor In Film Biz Underground

But usually 15-17 minors get an high school diploma so they are by guild rules and California work law jas adults for the industry and they can work adult schedule:

Passing the exam gives you the equivalent of a high school diploma, and grants the status of “legal 18” in the California entertainment industry. This means an actor who is 16 or 17 can legally work adult hours, including overtime, and no longer needs a teacher on set. They also no longer need a work permit, as their legal obligation for a high school education has been met for the state.

http://www.thestudioteachers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/LEGAL-18.pdf

Maybe it recently changed, but that was really common.

I would imagine that it would often be the case for the others states that attract a lot of production to have similar type of loophole, when not already have a stipulated different set of rules for the entertainment industry in the child works rules (you can work as a 6 year's old in front of the camera in a movie/tv series but not at the grocery stores for examples).
You have to remember, most child actors don't go to school, so school hours are wherever they have free time. They are home schooled most of the time either by their parents or tutors hired by their parents. A right that any parent can utilize anyway.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
They should raise the age of goalies drafted to something like 24. 18 seems way too young for that position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad