Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft thread: LA Kings select Quinton Byfield 2nd Overall (Part 3)

I've never followed prospects except for a 3-5 year window from 2006 to 2010 where I had become so consumed with any sign of hope for a winning season from the kings. Watching the two minute clip of this guy reminded me exactly of Kopitar with his size and composure. Then I see the NHL network and realized I missed my calling of pointing out the obvious for a living. I'm not trying to be hyperbolic but I am.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm happy with Byfield.

On another funny note.

I got an infraction for an offensive message in the draft thread..

"Wow, momma got a well rounded personality" in regards to one draftees family

Like really...

Reactions: ru4reals

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I'm happy with Byfield.

On another funny note.

I got an infraction for an offensive message in the draft thread..

"Wow, momma got a well rounded personality" in regards to one draftees family

Like really...

Trust me I had a few that are f****n pathetic. :facepalm:

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Reading this headline further reinforces just how desperately Canadian media wanted the Kings to select Stutzle in order for Ottawa to land a big, Canadian, franchise changing center.

Wheeler wasn't a fan of Ottawa's first round:

Overtime losers
19. Ottawa Senators

Pick: 3. Tim Stutzle
My ranking: No. 7 (change: +4)

Pick: 5. Jake Sanderson

My ranking: No. 17 (change: +12)

Pick: 28. Ridly Greig

My ranking: No. 64 (change: +36)

Stutzle wasn’t my third-ranked prospect at any point this season, but he was in the conversation for most of it, so it’s hard to knock the choice. Most scouts believe he was the right choice for the Senators at No. 3. Do I have worries about his ability to slow the game down like his peers near the top of the draft, or to read the play like some of them, or to finish off the plays he so often starts? Sure. But he’s also the best skater in the draft, he’s going to be a dynamic transition threat, and his hands can keep up with his feet.

I have to be honest, though: I don’t love the Sanderson pick. I said it leading into the draft and I’ll say it again: The Senators had an opportunity to re-shape their first line with two forwards at the top of this draft. Brady Tkachuk and Drake Batherson are great pieces. So are Shane Pinto Josh Norris, Alex Formenton and the rest. But the difference between prospects like Perfetti and Rossi and those names is a heck of a lot wider than the one between Sanderson and what the Senators already have coming in Thomas Chabot, Erik Brannstrom, Lassi Thomson, and Jacob Bernard-Docker. Sanderson is a fabulous prospect and became my No. 2 D prospect in the draft by a decent margin as the year progressed. He defends a well as any player in the draft, he’s an excellent skater, especially in straight lines, he’s got the physical tools, he’s a late birthday, and his gaps are tight and calculated. All of those things should translate. But his offensive package inside the o-zone blue line does have some holes and if it doesn’t take giant leaps, the Senators could regret not taking one of the star-level forwards who were sitting there.

Though Greig grew on me this summer, after a season of debating him with people who believed he was a first rounder when I didn’t, his ability to forecheck, win battles, and play a thorny style took on a little too much value in the evaluation of his game, which I believe tops out as a middle-six checker with just enough talent to contribute. I saw some real flashes of more upside, but it just wasn’t there consistently enough for me. It feels like a safe pick for an organization that already has a ton of prospects who fit neatly into middle-of-the-roster competitions.

I think the Senators could regret their last two picks, even if they make it (which they both well could) because better players were taken after them.

NHL Draft winners and losers: Ranking every team's first round

Reactions: LAKings88

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Just looked, 28 out the next 159 picks (17.6%) are currently owned by OTT, DET or LA.
e1dvojpvwrh51.png

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Outside of the top 12, this pick could end up being one of the best when we look back in 5-years. Hope he does well in DC.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Leaving Drysdale on the board for Sanderson will cost them. Chabot - Drysdale would of been franshise changing.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
What time does round 2 start?

also, I just want to say as someone who rarely posts, thank you all for your posts. I learn so much reading through our active threads. So much better then that Twitter cesspool.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
What time does round 2 start?

also, I just want to say as someone who rarely posts, thank you all for your posts. I learn so much reading through our active threads. So much better then that Twitter cesspool.

Starts in an hour. 930 CST

Reactions: mbar

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I got who I wanted at three, and you guys (or the majority of you guys) got who you wanted at two. Everyone wins! Congrats on the pick and best of luck. I'll be cheering for QB in every situation, except for a Cup Finals against the Sens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad