GDT: NHL Entry Draft Rounds 2 through 7! 11am ET

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
You should expand the sources from which you get your rankings.

HockeyProspect’s Black Book had Buium ranked higher (33rd I believe) than the position which we drafted him.

Chris Peters had Mazur ranked 75 and we picked him 70th.

Just evidence that you can’t take everything at face value, and whenever you think there’s a guarantee, you’ve made a mistake. Different teams, different scouts, different opinions.
Ranked #127 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #121 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #67 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)

Carter Mazur at eliteprospects.com

Ranked #61 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #54 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #49 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #49 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #32 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #20 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #85 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #99 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #92 by SMAHT SCOUTING

Shai Buium at eliteprospects.com

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
One was 3rd round pick with lots of solid guys left. This is a full round later and things are thinning out. But yeah, this helps lessen the sting. Would have been happy with Savage at 70

The funny thing is they could have almost certainly picked Savage with the pick they used on Mazur and Mazur would have still been there for this pick. :laugh:

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
One was 3rd round pick with lots of solid guys left. This is a full round later and things are thinning out. But yeah, this helps lessen the sting. Would have been happy with Savage at 70

it's almost like one of them was drafted 44 picks later than the other one or something

I think that anyone complaining about a player with bottom six upside in the third and celebrating a player with bottom six upside in the fourth is projecting way, way more separation between the late rounds than is actually present.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Our original picks and how they were used…

6. Edvinsson
23. Cossa
38. Buium
48. Cossa
52. Leddy
70. Mazur
94. Nedeljkovic
102. Savage & 155
128. Buium
134. ?
138. Cossa
166. ?

Let me know if you see a mistake.

I'm just glad Wallstedt got drafted before our original spot because my eyes would've bled if we not only traded up to get Cossa but left Wallstedt on the board.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If you criticize any f***ing move - the HF mafia comes and gets you.
Same old, Same old.

When you praise a move - they don't take notice.
But the second you criticize - you're a negative hater.

Reactions: Realgud

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I'm just glad Wallstedt got drafted before our original spot because my eyes would've bled if we not only traded up to get Cossa but left Wallstedt on the board.

Fair.

I think there’s 2 question marks with Buium and Mazur. But that’s fine. We get 8 new prospects added from this draft. We cheer for them. F@ck the rest.

Eklund, Pinelli and Poltapov…. Bums.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Same old, Same old.

Mostly coming from people who still think Kenny Holland was/is a good GM...
That's the irony!

Reactions: MBH

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
I think that anyone complaining about a player with bottom six upside in the third and celebrating a player with bottom six upside in the fourth is projecting way, way more separation between the late rounds than is actually present.
The 3rd round is not a "late" round. Using the 70th pick on a player who has extremely limited upside is not ideal. Giving me those Lane Zablocki vibes. Whatever, Im not paid to do this and if these guys bust and the wings still suck 5 years from now, then I wont be paying to see them then.

WingFanSD

Jul 19, 2011
I did.... Mazur ranked 121 to 127, picked 70... Overager... Cause he is from Michigan and Draper coached him...
That other guy they traded up for? Ranked From 49 to 99 range, but they had to grab him at 36 with high ranking Centers still on board?
Some of you don't want to listen, you go into the attack mode right away!
ratings dont mean much in the end. GMs have their own boards, they dont care about media talking heads draft boards or ratings. the come up with their boards and go off that.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
COVID draft people are surprised people going off the "board". This draft is like throwing darts blindfolded. Yzerman and co are gravitating towards familiar players.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
This team is horrible. You’re glued to its message board. You’re a die hard. We’re all sick of losing. These draft picks aren’t personal. Relax.

To add, these 1st and 2nd round picks should shape your teams future. But past that, blindfolded darts. Only time will tell.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Yeah, I know there are some good players coming up, but it still doesn't change my mind that having 7 LHD prospects and 1 center prospect is too big of a discrepancy.

People keep saying "yeah we have 7 LHD prospects but only 3 or 4 will make it". That's true, however what if Veleno doesn't end up being what we are hoping for? Then we have no centers...Personally, I would rather have say 4 LHD prospects, and 4 center prospects, and then have a couple of the LHD make it, and a couple of the centers make it.

I've done tons of research today on Edvinsson, and my initial response was reactionary in that I really wanted Eklund. Even though we didn't pick my guy, it doesn't mean that Edvinsson was a bad pick, and I actually like the tools Edvinsson has. But with that pick in the bag, I still don't like taking Buium with our 2nd rounder. It initially reminded me of the Tuomisto pick from 2 years ago, and 2 years later Tuomisto is just "meh".

Long term I would be surprised if the organization values Veleno as higher than a 3rd line center. Larkin is the 1/b, blue chipper in 22-23 becomes the 1a, Veleno slots into the 3rd, and you pick up a ufa 4th liner or homegrow him outta a low chance late rounder when Glendy retires/moves on to another team or Chase Pearson is are new glendy type idk.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
The 3rd round is not a "late" round. Using the 70th pick on a player who has extremely limited upside is not ideal. Giving me those Lane Zablocki vibes. Whatever, Im not paid to do this and if these guys bust and the wings still suck 5 years from now, then I wont be paying to see them then.

The NHL success rate of drafted prospects plummets in the 3rd round. In that respect, it can be considered a late round. Call it "the drop-off round and beyond." There is certainly far less separation between the 3rd and 4th rounds than there is between the 1st and 2nd rounds for instance.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

Idk man, success rate on a 3rd is about 25% and success rate on a 4th is about 20%. (NHL Draft Pick Probabilities) (NHL Draft Analytics: A Study of NHL Central Scouting - Neutral Zone)

People are welcome to their own opinions on these prospects, but it's very confusing to me that anyone would harp on the Mazur pick and laud the Savage pick. Pretty similar bets imo.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Same old, Same old.

Why care what other people think your a adult?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Mostly coming from people who still think Kenny Holland was/is a good GM...
That's the irony!

See. And this is why you’re a troll. Ken Holland WAS a good GM.

Then, he made some head scratcher moves and some “holy f***, Kenny what is you doing?” moves and took risks that had big downsides and low upsides.

A bad GM is Peter Chiarelli. He had an almost never-ending string of high talent youngsters and Edmonton did nothing. He had a 1C in Boston that he traded for pennies on the dollar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad