GDT: NHL Entry Draft Rounds 2 through 7! 11am ET

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Yeah. It really is laughable. Collectively, I do believe there is enough hockey knowledge on this board, and enough viewing of prospects, that healthy debate can be had about 1st rounders, and some kids who bleed into the 2nd round, maybe even a little beyond that for some folks. After that? The amount of words typed about later picks, and the strong opinions on who was a great or shitty pick almost halfway through the draft? Crazy.

It's fine to have your biases, but no one here knows really anything very meaningful about any of these kids being picked right now in the early afternoon of Day 2. People reading a few scouting reports that often parrot each other, and maybe watching some highlights, and suddenly they think they are informed enough to say whether Yzerman is doing a good job or not :laugh:

Statistically, you can say every pick from about 40 on is bad and won't play in the NHL and you'll be like 97% correct.

It's also ridiculous to look at a pick like Mazur and pretend like he's an awesome sleeper character guy who will be great in the NHL locker room. That's just homerism. The chance of an overager with his skillset and history all of a sudden blooming into an NHL-quality prospect is almost nil. He was drafted about 30 slots too high because Draper knows him, and that's probably more scouting than they've been able to get on anyone they would look at drafting at this point.

If anything, it's a use of a pick in a bad draft year with shitty scouting to generate a local-boy-done-good feel good story about the team, and that's probably more value than they'll get out of anyone else they could've picked.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Duke or Robidas here would be pretty big gets in my opinion.

I feel like when we get this late in the draft with some of these guys available, the Wings have held them off their list. As I understand it, they aren’t going to revisit and add names once the draft is underway. Essentially any name included is a DND

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Our original picks and how they were used…

6. Edvinsson
23. Cossa
38. Buium
48. Cossa
52. Leddy
70. Mazur
94. Nedeljkovic
102. Savage & Plandowski
128. Buium
134. Nilsson
138. Cossa
166. Zito

Let me know if you see a mistake.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Ranked 121 and 127 in 2 years and passed on in 2020 draft...
Yeah, sure, he has "value", according to people like you....
Will never even sniff the NHL.

So you are saying you haven't watched him. Here, let me help you out with this. hockeytv.com

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Why are people here so desperate to be petty towards people that criticize or question a certain pick? It’s gotten more than a little ridiculous at this point

Like no shit none of us have the insight of a GM, that doesn’t mean we can’t feel one way or another and express that sentiment

Of course you can. But there is a point where it gets ridiculous. As a couple others have pointed out.... there are people getting up in arms about 3rd round picks they've never seen play because Detroit didn't pick a different 3rd round pick whom they've never seen play. If it were simply people questioning picks, this board wouldn't look so silly right now. But, amongst other silly things, there are people saying Yzerman should be fired because of what he's done on Day 2 so far.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Look at the 22 and 23 draft classes.

Yeah, I know there are some good players coming up, but it still doesn't change my mind that having 7 LHD prospects and 1 center prospect is too big of a discrepancy.

People keep saying "yeah we have 7 LHD prospects but only 3 or 4 will make it". That's true, however what if Veleno doesn't end up being what we are hoping for? Then we have no centers...Personally, I would rather have say 4 LHD prospects, and 4 center prospects, and then have a couple of the LHD make it, and a couple of the centers make it.

I've done tons of research today on Edvinsson, and my initial response was reactionary in that I really wanted Eklund. Even though we didn't pick my guy, it doesn't mean that Edvinsson was a bad pick, and I actually like the tools Edvinsson has. But with that pick in the bag, I still don't like taking Buium with our 2nd rounder. It initially reminded me of the Tuomisto pick from 2 years ago, and 2 years later Tuomisto is just "meh".

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
No, just you… because literally everything you do is in the vein of trolling comments. Next time, bring a complaint about a move to the table that isn’t “Blashill is just garbage” or “looks like a Holland type move”
I did.... Mazur ranked 121 to 127, picked 70... Overager... Cause he is from Michigan and Draper coached him...
That other guy they traded up for? Ranked From 49 to 99 range, but they had to grab him at 36 with high ranking Centers still on board?
Some of you don't want to listen, you go into the attack mode right away!

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I did.... Mazur ranked 121 to 127, picked 70... Overager... Cause he is from Michigan and Draper coached him...
That other guy they traded up for? Ranked From 49 to 99 range, but they had to grab him at 36 with high ranking Centers still on board?
Some of you don't want to listen, you go into the attack mode right away!

You should expand the sources from which you get your rankings.

HockeyProspect’s Black Book had Buium ranked higher (33rd I believe) than the position which we drafted him.

Chris Peters had Mazur ranked 75 and we picked him 70th.

Just evidence that you can’t take everything at face value, and whenever you think there’s a guarantee, you’ve made a mistake. Different teams, different scouts, different opinions.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Hilarious to me though that this will be well-received and the Mazur pick panned when they have nearly identical upsides realistically.
One was 3rd round pick with lots of solid guys left. This is a full round later and things are thinning out. But yeah, this helps lessen the sting. Would have been happy with Savage at 70

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad