Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Yaroslav Askarov on fire to start the KHL season, named goalie and rookie of the week. Would love to trade up for this guy.
I know he's a rookie and only played a handful of games, but I am super high on shesterkin and feel he is one of the best goalies in the league already. Askarov and his movements are so similar and the way they track the puck. This guy is going to be so good, and so good as soon as he comes over.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
He's a double overage player though. Highly skilled but could be closer to the finished product.
The team has a lot of picks and (not so) coincidentally (maybe) some open spots on the Marlies depth chart. I’m not a draft strategy expert, but, seems like an interesting overager or two might be logical.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Askarov isn't getting past the Canes btw thanks Dubas for gifting them that pick and overpaying Marner because of it.

Anyways I'd like Askarov,or Sanderson. I'm sure we'd have to move up but they're both really high end players. If we keep the pick I think Guhle is still the BPA. 6'3, one of the best skater in the draft, one of if not the best defenders in the draft, physical, and if his offence ever comes around he's a #1 D. Lots of people here like Muzzin, and Nurse but don't want to draft one when he's sitting there at 15. Makes no sense to me. f*** these small wingers like Lapierre and Jarvis, give me someone who will make a difference in the playoffs. Remember how Chara would always bully us in the playoffs? That's what Guhle is going to do on whichever team drafts him.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Greig is a skilled player with real grit and a big motor. To succeed playing his game at 159 lbs surely demonstrates he's got character.

A good comparable is Max Domi.

Also heard him compared with Kadri. I like him a lot. His dad was drafted as a 20 year old 5'11" 190 and Ridley is one of the youngest kids available this year so size isn't a real concern to me. His offense isn't spectacular yet but its there and I think he will show a lot more next season when he has filled out more. I don't like him in the mid round but I think he might look okay in the 20s. Lots have him into the second round where he could be a steal IMO. He needs work but his upside could be game changing physicality in a middle 6 role. I think he goes anywhere from 26 to 36OA.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
I the Ridley Creig will be the next Mike Richards-(like he was when he played for the Flyers,),

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Really I can't say I'm tied to anyone at this point.

Askarov, who at first I was indifferent on, is now very tantalizing, but let's be real, he probably doesn't even make it out of the top 10, let alone close to our pick.

I'm still really intrigued by Seth Jarvis. May not seem like a "need" at all, but really seems like he is going to be a great player. Would love to see us draft him, but again, I'd bet he's gone.

At this point, I trust Dubas with the BPA in that range. I'd hope to not go off the board, if they do, they would just trade down anyway based off trends, so I wouldn't worry about that either.

I'm just going to go in with excitement and an open mind. Not going to be one of those posters who throws a fit about passing on a certain player or one of those posters that spams the thread with a "Nyaaaaa (loud mouth breathing) I don't know anything about this player but I see he is under 6 feet. Bust. Waste. Fire chart boy and smash his glasses."

HC7

May 2, 2018
I the Ridley Creig will be the next Mike Richards-(like he was when he played for the Flyers,),

Richards had back to back high 80 point seasons before being drafted and dominated for Canada at international tourneys. Greig has done neither so not the greatest comparison if you ask me...

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
If scouts thought there was a realistic chance he could become that he'd be a surefure top 10 pick, maybe top 5.

I like Greig a lot, but prime Mike Richards was a monster.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Askarov isn't getting past the Canes btw thanks Dubas for gifting them that pick and overpaying Marner because of it.

Anyways I'd like Askarov,or Sanderson. I'm sure we'd have to move up but they're both really high end players. If we keep the pick I think Guhle is still the BPA. 6'3, one of the best skater in the draft, one of if not the best defenders in the draft, physical, and if his offence ever comes around he's a #1 D. Lots of people here like Muzzin, and Nurse but don't want to draft one when he's sitting there at 15. Makes no sense to me. f*** these small wingers like Lapierre and Jarvis, give me someone who will make a difference in the playoffs. Remember how Chara would always bully us in the playoffs? That's what Guhle is going to do on whichever team drafts him.
May as well thank Lou for signing the Marleau contract as well to.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
FYI, the Athletic had a beat writer mock draft based on what they think the team would do (rather than what they would do if they were GM).

NHL staff mock draft 2020: Changes in the top three, plus an audit by NHL scouts

Here is what Joshua Kloke felt would happen:

15. Toronto: Mavrik Bourque, C, Shawinigan-QMJHL

Joshua Kloke: Kyle Dubas values skill and hockey sense, and there’s no shortage of players who offer those attributes at No. 15. And that actually makes this a difficult pick. Dubas and the Leafs didn’t have a first-round pick in 2019, and had to make a trade to acquire this pick, so there’s certainly increased pressure to get this one right. Though there is an organizational need for defensemen, the type of blueliner that Dubas likes might not be worth using this pick on. Dawson Mercer still being available is surprising, but it’s hard to see Dubas walking away from Mavrik Bourque, the highly skilled playmaker with big-time hockey IQ. They’d be able to get him working with Barb Underhill to improve his skating, and he’s the type of player who can make those around him better. In the long-term, you can see his skill blending well with some of the Leafs’ other skilled forwards. He’s smallish but agile, has excellent vision with the puck and could develop into a special player. It feels like a gamble, but Dubas has gambled with this type of player before in Nick Robertson and it’s paid off.

Of the guys most talked about around here who were still on the board, it was really only Schneider and Guhle. All the other main hopefuls went before.

The mock was presented to 15 scouts and they had their say. Here was one comment about the Leafs pick:

A couple of scouts felt Bourque went too high. “If Toronto wanted Bourque or a player similar to Bourque, they could trade down to get him,” said one scout.

I really like Bourque and wouldn't be mad at all if we picked him at 15, but like the last paragraph says; I think we could trade down to get him.

I really think after the top-12~ guys the next 20~ are so close it's all about preference.

Reactions: kk87 and kb

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
FYI, the Athletic had a beat writer mock draft based on what they think the team would do (rather than what they would do if they were GM).

NHL staff mock draft 2020: Changes in the top three, plus an audit by NHL scouts

Here is what Joshua Kloke felt would happen:

15. Toronto: Mavrik Bourque, C, Shawinigan-QMJHL

Joshua Kloke: Kyle Dubas values skill and hockey sense, and there’s no shortage of players who offer those attributes at No. 15. And that actually makes this a difficult pick. Dubas and the Leafs didn’t have a first-round pick in 2019, and had to make a trade to acquire this pick, so there’s certainly increased pressure to get this one right. Though there is an organizational need for defensemen, the type of blueliner that Dubas likes might not be worth using this pick on. Dawson Mercer still being available is surprising, but it’s hard to see Dubas walking away from Mavrik Bourque, the highly skilled playmaker with big-time hockey IQ. They’d be able to get him working with Barb Underhill to improve his skating, and he’s the type of player who can make those around him better. In the long-term, you can see his skill blending well with some of the Leafs’ other skilled forwards. He’s smallish but agile, has excellent vision with the puck and could develop into a special player. It feels like a gamble, but Dubas has gambled with this type of player before in Nick Robertson and it’s paid off.

Of the guys most talked about around here who were still on the board, it was really only Schneider and Guhle. All the other main hopefuls went before.

The mock was presented to 15 scouts and they had their say. Here was one comment about the Leafs pick:

A couple of scouts felt Bourque went too high. “If Toronto wanted Bourque or a player similar to Bourque, they could trade down to get him,” said one scout.

There's much better options at 15 than Mavrik Bourque. He has great puck skills but his size, skating and defense leave a lot to be desired. He's a flawed player and those guys usually go late first or second round.

Schneider would be a great pickup. Lundell is a fantastic 2 way prospect. Mercer is a very complete player who projects as a middle 6 forward. Jarvis has electric puck skills not far from Marner. Of course if Askarov is there you run to the virtual podium.

HC7

May 2, 2018
May as well thank Lou for signing the Marleau contract as well to.

I know it was a shitty contract. Difference between us is I can see faults of both people. Just because Lou signed it doesn't mean it's all on him. Just because Kyle traded the 1st and gave all that money straight to Mitch doesn't mean it's all on him either.

Just because someone broke a glass on the floor doesn't mean you have to spread it all over the floor.

Reactions: ToneDog

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

You'd think if he has a realistic chance of becoming a #1D with a playoff style game, there's no way he makes it to 15.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I know it was a shitty contract. Difference between us is I can see faults of both people. Just because Lou signed it doesn't mean it's all on him. Just because Kyle traded the 1st and gave all that money straight to Mitch doesn't mean it's all on him either.

Just because someone broke a glass on the floor doesn't mean you have to spread it all over the floor.
This is the most nuanced (and accurate) view imo. Yes, Lou signed the crummy 6.2M contract, but it only had one year left on it. Dubas could have been creative, instead of wasting assets. Maybe not give Marner 10.8M right out of the gate. Sign him for 1 or 2 years at a lower average, since you're walking him to free agency anyway on his current deal which limits our cap flexibility.

Reactions: ToneDog

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This is the most nuanced (and accurate) view imo. Yes, Lou signed the crummy 6.2M contract, but it only had one year left on it. Dubas could have been creative, instead of wasting assets. Maybe not give Marner 10.8M right out of the gate. Sign him for 1 or 2 years at a lower average, since you're walking him to free agency anyway on his current deal which limits our cap flexibility.

How much do you think Marner's UFA years would cost after 2 seasons on Matthews wing and 2 years of a rising cap with Seattle and a new TV deal coming in (assuming no COVID obviously)?

How much would you pay Arizona or whoever to retain 2 mil on Marner's contract for 4 years (the extra years we got for 10.8 after his bridge would be over)? Paying what should have been a pick in the 20s for that retention would be pretty reasonable. On top of that we didn't have to sell Kapanen and Johnsson for 2nds just to fit under the ceiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

HC7

May 2, 2018
You'd think if he has a realistic chance of becoming a #1D with a playoff style game, there's no way he makes it to 15.

I could list you 100 D-Men picked outside the top 10 that became top pairing guys. I don't get your point.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

Yep, that Marleau contract was 100% Dubas' fault

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Jeremie Poirier is an interesting draft option if we trade down from 15. He might be the most skilled offensive defenceman in the draft, he can really handle the puck. Led all draft eligible Dmen in goals. The reason he’s not ranked higher is he’s bad defensively, it’s a lot easier to teach a prospect defence than it is offence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig