Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - First Round Tuesday October 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Jarvis, Sanderson, Askarov and Amirov should be our main targets. If they are gone we should trade down with the Rangers for picks 22, 71 and 91/102. Or even Philadelphia for 23, 53 and 115/146.

This way we could go like this possibly:

22) Khusnutdinov, Gunler,Reichel,Schneider,Mysak, etc
44} Robins, Pytlik, Foudy, Foerster. I'm really high on Robins.
71} Ovechnikov- Been high on him for a few months now and my biggest problem with him is he is pretty weak atm but he's still young and would have lots of time to put on weight. I had this same problem with Buchnevich back in his draft year and now look at him.
91/102) Coe
105)Mancini

I feel like there's a few more players I like in this range that I'm forgetting about but oh well. I'd be happy with these picks with our first few. Sokolov is someone I wouldn't mind drafting late to give him a shot because he has potential and could be a project like Brazeau is and Josh Williams is another D+1 player I really like. Wanted him bad last year and still like him so maybe this year we'll take him.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'd keep 15 and draft Amirov at 15 if Jarvis is gone. Amirov can pass, score, solid two way game with good not great speed. Hes my pick as a future draft riser. I believe in 3 to 4 years people will have him in the top 5 to 8 players from this draft.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I don't even want to know what the cost would be to upgrade 15 to 6, but man would it be nice to be picking there instead.

Guaranteed a blue chip prospect instead of hoping one drops/picking the right high-ceiling/low-floor guy.

It's Anaheim so it's tough to call. I actually wouldn't mind giving up the 15th pick + Kerfoot and Johnsson even if some think it's an overpayment for the 6th pick tbh because I feel like Raymond, Drysdale and Rossi will be way better than those guys. idk though, maybe Anaheim could add to the trade.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I'd keep 15 and draft Amirov at 15 if Jarvis is gone. Amirov can pass, score, solid two way game with good not great speed. Hes my pick as a future draft riser. I believe in 3 to 4 years people will have him in the top 5 to 8 players from this draft.

If Ottawa take Askarov 5th overall like some predict then I just don't see Amirov and Jarvis falling to 15th. I doubt Carolina and Edmonton let them slide.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
My gut tells me they move down (or trade this pick) unless someone in the top 10 really falls. Think the first round could have a lot of small movement shifts after top 10.

HC7

May 2, 2018
They would probably want Robertson+15 for 6.

Maybe if management is absolutely in love with Askarov they do it, otherwise nah.

There's not a chance in hell. Robertson would be a top 10 pick in this draft had he been born a week later.

Reactions: kb

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
It's Anaheim so it's tough to call. I actually wouldn't mind giving up the 15th pick + Kerfoot and Johnsson even if some think it's an overpayment for the 6th pick tbh because I feel like Raymond, Drysdale and Rossi will be way better than those guys. idk though, maybe Anaheim could add to the trade.

I think the cost between 15 and 6 is probably more than that. I'm assuming they'd want a big quality asset to move down, not two middle-6/3rd line F.

The difference between 15 and 6 in this draft to me is rather gigantic. Being able to grab one of Byfield (unlikely), Stutzle (unlikely), Raymond, Rossi, Perfetti, Jarvis, Drysdale, or Sanderson would be a gigantic jump in this draft compared to where we are.

HC7

May 2, 2018
I think the cost between 15 and 6 is probably more than that. I'm assuming they'd want a big quality asset to move down, not two middle-6/3rd line F.

The difference between 15 and 6 in this draft to me is rather gigantic. Being able to grab one of Byfield (unlikely), Stutzle (unlikely), Raymond, Rossi, Perfetti, Jarvis, Drysdale, or Sanderson would be a gigantic jump in this draft compared to where we are.

Yeah nobody is giving up the 6th for 2 3rd liners. Imagine someone offering their 3rd liners to go from Matthews to the 4th pick or something.

HC7

May 2, 2018
I'm still a big Guhle fan, if his offence comes around he's the real deal. If he doesn't I still see him being a middle pairing guy that can eat minutes and play the PK. A Muzzin lite I guess?

Reactions: Myopic

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
There's not a chance in hell. Robertson would be a top 10 pick in this draft had he been born a week later.

Maybe. Remember, he'd be one of, if not the oldest player in this draft if he was born a week later; which turns his age from a huge positive to a huge negative.

Idk maybe he'd be in my Perfetti/Jarvis/Askarov/Lundell range (8/9/10/11)? Without hesitation I'd take Laf, Byfield, Raymond, Rossi, Stutzle, Drysdale, and Sanderson before him.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Maybe. Remember, he'd be one of, if not the oldest player in this draft if he was born a week later; which turns his age from a huge positive to a huge negative.

Idk maybe he'd be in my Perfetti/Jarvis/Askarov/Lundell range (8/9/10/11)? Without hesitation I'd take Laf, Byfield, Raymond, Rossi, Stutzle, Drysdale, and Sanderson before him.

True, but his season was absolutely incredible. here's one guy's opinion

Reactions: Brobust and Morgs

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

True, but his season was absolutely incredible. here's one guy's opinion

Really interesting. I've loved looking at this guys stuff and I didn't see this tweet.

My one issue with his model though is it seems certain players (Raymond, Stutzle, Lundell, Gunler) are getting knocked down the list because they're playing in men's leagues and not putting up obscene numbers. He's also missing Sanderson in the top-10 whose numbers definitely don't tell the full story. To rethink my statement, I'd definitely have Robby in my top-10, in the 8-9-10 range with Perfetti and Jarvis.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Alright, so I found this really cool draft simulator (draftsim) and used Bob McKenzie's rankings. I didn't make any trades and I only really went to the 4th round because I ran out of guys I know (picked the top-ranked guy for the rest of the picks). Here are my results:

(15) Seth Jarvis, RW
(44) Topi Niemela, RD
(105) Anton Johannesson, LD
(121) Dmitri Ovchinnikov, LW

I'd be ecstatic if this is what we walked away with.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Would you trade Rielly to be able to move up and get Drysdale at 6th? Or maybe even Raymond?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Alright, so I found this really cool draft simulator (draftsim) and used Bob McKenzie's rankings. I didn't make any trades and I only really went to the 4th round because I ran out of guys I know (picked the top-ranked guy for the rest of the picks). Here are my results:

(15) Seth Jarvis, RW
(44) Topi Niemela, RD

Pretty cool. I got Lundell, Wiesblatt, Robins, and Ovchinnikov before I started to have no clue who the prospects were

Reactions: Morgs

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Uh, I dont know. Probably not?
Hey, how do you evaluate Lundell's offensive skills? I know initially, his offensive tools gave me caution, but listening more and more, I think they are more then fine. It's not like we are talking about Gauthier offense or anything. He's a guy I personally would love to see drop to us.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Hey, how do you evaluate Lundell's offensive skills? I know initially, his offensive tools gave me caution, but listening more and more, I think they are more then fine. It's not like we are talking about Gauthier offense or anything. He's a guy I personally would love to see drop to us.

Here's an overall good video on Lundell if you've got 15 mins

If not, I'd say his offensive potential is probably higher than most give it credit. He's probably never going to he an elite finisher or playmaker, but I feel like he'll be a strong play driver in the right direction and an excellent defensive player. I compare him to Jordan Staal- super valuable player to have facing the other teams top lines.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Here's an overall good video on Lundell if you've got 15 mins

If not, I'd say his offensive potential is probably higher than most give it credit. He's probably never going to he an elite finisher or playmaker, but I feel like he'll be a strong play driver in the right direction and an excellent defensive player. I compare him to Jordan Staal- super valuable player to have facing the other teams top lines.

Awesome thanks.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

(15) Seth Jarvis, RW
(44) Topi Niemela, RD

Not bad, I ended up with Askarov, Greig, Nybeck, and Johannesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad