Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - First Round Tuesday October 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
He also said these trade down candidates are "smaller, skilled forwards who aren’t great skaters." Sounds like Zary, Bourque, or Brisson.
giphy.gif

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Jack Finley

Center -- shoots R
Born Sep 2 2002 -- Kelowna, BC
[18 yrs. ago]
Height 6.06 -- Weight 213 [198 cm/97 kg]

Regular SeasonPlayoffs
SeasonTeamLgeGPGAPtsPIM+/-GPGAPtsPIM
2017-18Penticton VeesBCHL21010----------
2017-18Spokane ChiefsWHL701180----------
2018-19Spokane ChiefsWHL639101944-6151788
2019-20Spokane ChiefsWHL611938573232
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ranked #106 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #102 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #71 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #78 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #38 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #55 by TSN/McKenzie

If they can land a 3rd I would like them to add this kid.. I think he goes 80-95

Last edited:

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
On Amirov, he said he heard some other forwards with Toronto but as trade down candidates. He also indicated 15th is the lowest Jarvis will fall.
so has he had heard anything on who Toronto is interested in (Amirov specifically) or is it just blind speculation based on how the team has drafted over Dubas's tenure?

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
so has he had heard anything on who Toronto is interested in (Amirov specifically) or is it just blind speculation based on how the team has drafted over Dubas's tenure?

Amirov/Jarvis: Based on previous draft tendency

Other forwards: Here's the exact quote, "I’ve heard some smaller, skilled forwards who aren’t great skaters speculated to Toronto but likely as trade down candidates."

Perhaps, instead of trade-down, it's for another late 1st / early 2nd from a Johnsson trade.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It's based on what he has heard from around the league.
I would be really happy with Amirov. Want someone to fall though.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
It's based on what he has heard from around the league.
I would be really happy with Amirov. Want someone to fall though.
I'm kind of hoping for Amirov/Lapierre/Jarvis (in that order) if we stick at 15.

If we trade down, I wouldn't mind taking a stab at Greig or Brisson.

Reactions: KMNRB

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
That 14-16 range seems to be the spot that a high end faller usually gets picked.

2019: 15 - Cole Caufield
2018: 12 - Noah Dobson?
2017: 17 - Timothy Liljegren
2016: 16 - Jakob Chryhrun
2015: 16 - Mathew Barzal

Any ideas on who a potential faller could be?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That 14-16 range seems to be the spot that a high end faller usually gets picked.

2019: 15 - Cole Caufield
2018: 12 - Noah Dobson?
2017: 17 - Timothy Liljegren
2016: 16 - Jakob Chryhrun
2015: 16 - Mathew Barzal

Any ideas on who a potential faller could be?

Askarov and Lundell would be the most likely. The rest I would say are either not likely, or not really "fallers".

HC7

May 2, 2018
If Guhle is still on the board I hope we take him. He's a guy that actual scouts know he's a real elite prospect, and is a top pairing guy on any team he plays. Wheeler, Pronman etc can't rank him properly because most of them just use analytics, which sells Guhle short.

Let me preface this by saying look at Sandin and Robertson. Our 2 best prospects and there's something they have in common. They both dominated on the international stage when playing with their respective age group. Sandin was the best player at the WJC-20, and Robertson was one of the best forwards on USA. I think what you do on that stage is as good of an indicator of what is to come as any. When I look at a prospect what they do in the CHL/USNDTP/Europe is important no doubt, but the international tourneys and CHL showcase mean a lot to me. When everything is equal, who stands out?

With that said the high end guys that deliver on the big stage (Hlinka, WJC, CHL Showcase) that are around the Leafs pick are as follows...

1. Guhle - Top pairing guy that plays in every situation. There's a reason why him and Drysdale anchored Canada's D at the Hlinka. There's a reason he was a top pairing guy on the winning team at the CHL showcase. There's a reason why he's the #1 guy on a WHL team that had the least amount of goals against this year. Guhle is a 30 minute a night guy that plays against the best players and excels. He might never score 40+ points, but he's going to make up for it and more with all the goals he prevents. You don't want to play against him in a playoff series.

2. Jarvis - He's a player that puts up big numbers in the WHL, but just as importantly at the Hlinka and WJC-18 he continued to be a key contributor on the Canadian roster. Can't go wrong with a skilled player like Jarvis. He'll probably end up being a 60-70 offensive winger in the mold of Marner. My only issue with him is I don't think he moves the needle as much as a Guhle would in a playoff series. Jarvis can affect a playoff series, but if a player like Guhle pans out he's going to change a playoff series.

3. Zary - One of the older guys in the draft and it shows. He's really polished and his only slight downside is his skating. Put up big numbers in the WHL, took over the CHL showcase game, and was one of the big guns at the WJC-18 despite being a draft year younger than most of the team. He's the complete package, and doesn't play small unlike a lot of other players going in our range. When it comes playoff time he's someone you want on your team. He's a gamer.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I like Amirov, but I don’t want to read into such a small sample size too much. He also plays on a team scoring a ton of goals in the KHL. Still very impressive what he is doing and no doubt helps his draft stock.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I like Amirov, but I don’t want to read into such a small sample size too much. He also plays on a team scoring a ton of goals in the KHL. Still very impressive what he is doing and no doubt helps his draft stock.

He's very projectable IMO, his skillset is well rounded and his defensive conscience is already there, I don't see a big leap to the NHL other than getting stronger.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Jack Finley

Center -- shoots R
Born Sep 2 2002 -- Kelowna, BC
[18 yrs. ago]
Height 6.06 -- Weight 213 [198 cm/97 kg]

Regular SeasonPlayoffs
SeasonTeamLgeGPGAPtsPIM+/-GPGAPtsPIM
2017-18Penticton VeesBCHL21010----------
2017-18Spokane ChiefsWHL701180----------
2018-19Spokane ChiefsWHL639101944-6151788
2019-20Spokane ChiefsWHL611938573232
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ranked #106 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #102 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #71 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #78 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #38 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #55 by TSN/McKenzie

If they can land a 3rd I would like them to add this kid.. I think he goes 80-95
I would take a flyer on him in the second round.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I would take a flyer on him in the second round.

You do not take a "flyer" in the 2nd round.

Jack Finley is a third round talent. Upside, barring a major jump, is 3C given he does not have a great offensive toolkit.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
You do not take a "flyer" in the 2nd round.

Jack Finley is a third round talent. Upside, barring a major jump, is 3C given he does not have a great offensive toolkit.
There is some stuff that is intriguing there, but I agree. I don’t take him in the 2nd round. Pretty bad skater, he’s a project that I could see eventually being a useful player.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

HC7

May 2, 2018
Amirov is 20 while everyone else is 18. I should hope he's putting up points as a forward in the KHL.

Still on the Guhle train. Not every year you get to draft a 6'3 gym rat with a mean streak that is one of the best skaters in the draft.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
There is some stuff that is intriguing there, but I agree. I don’t take him in the 2nd round. Pretty bad skater, he’s a project that I could see eventually being a useful player.

He's not a bad skater, but he is a project.

I think both him and Dylan Peterson are like taking another shot on a guy like Frederik Gauthier, except Gauthier was a better prospect than both. Gauthier is the type of guy who could have gone in the 2nd round.

However, I think teams may start taking chances on high end bottom 6 guys more often in the 3rd round, similar to how Tampa took a chance on Cirelli. Peterson and Finley are almost certainly not going to be top 6 players, but both are pretty good bets as bottom 6 guys and could be the types of guys that teams pay good assets to add to their bottom 6 when they are competitive.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
He's not a bad skater, but he is a project.

I think both him and Dylan Peterson are like taking another shot on a guy like Frederik Gauthier, except Gauthier was a better prospect than both. Gauthier is the type of guy who could have gone in the 2nd round.

However, I think teams may start taking chances on high end bottom 6 guys more often in the 3rd round, similar to how Tampa took a chance on Cirelli. Peterson and Finley are almost certainly not going to be top 6 players, but both are pretty good bets as bottom 6 guys and could be the types of guys that teams pay good assets to add to their bottom 6 when they are competitive.
I respectfully disagree on the skating, maybe bad was harsh, but it certainly isn't close to being a strength. Agree on everything else, I do like Peterson a fair bit as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad