Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - First Round Tuesday October 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Pierre McGuire made some interesting comments on TSN 1200 (McGuire: Jake Sanderson skyrocketed up the draft rankings and for good reason)

- Askarov will go in the top 10; some teams want to move up to get him
- A couple of other European or Russian born/trained players that will go in the top 10
- some sliders of North Americans who some people think are in the top 10 but will slip out of the top 10
- Lapierre impresses many teams in his interviews; health a concern but tremendous character and good teammate; will likely go no later than 20.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Ok then. I like Pronman but thought he didn't have those connections. I just thought he was a scout/writer for the Athletic. I just seriously hope Perrault is not the pick unlesss we're trading back to 20+ and Khusnutdinov is gone.
I'm with you. I didn't think he would have sources, but we'll see tomorrow how accurate he is. On Perrault, Pronman was guessing on that pick. His reasoning was Leafs like skill and he is the most skilled player left. I don't think thats accurate. Sure Leafs want skill but they also value IQ and compete, and Perrault has serious concerns on his compete level. I don't think Pronman is right here. I feel Amirov is the guy with no fallers.
If Jarvis falls, I would he surprised if Dubas passed on him. Would love Lundell as well.

Reactions: Morgs

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lundell falling to 21 is quite the bold call from him. If he's there at 15 that's who I want. I have him ranked 6th overall.

I also had Barzal ranked 6th overall in 2015 and he fell to 16 so who knows.
Yeah Lundell is my guy at 15 unless Jarvis falls. I have Lundell ranked 11.

Reactions: aingefan

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The Maple Leafs listened, but head into the NHL draft with no plans to trade the No. 15 pick — or Frederik Andersen | The Star

The Leafs’ No. 15 draft pick, acquired from Pittsburgh in the Kasperi Kapanen deal, isn’t likely to be moved, Dubas said: “We’ve had lots of discussions on it, but nothing I would say is overly close. Lots of tire-kicking, but nothing that would compel us to move it.”

This year’s draft is considered deep, the first round in particular. The Leafs will have 11 picks over seven rounds.

“We are happy with the depth of the draft, which is one of the reasons we made the (trade) with Pittsburgh,” said Dubas. “It’s a great opportunity for us.”

The pandemic has made this a draft like no other. Video of the prospects has been viewed and reviewed by all levels of scouts. It was basically all they could do from the middle of March onward as leagues shut down in response to the spread of the coronavirus.

“The amount of deep work we’ve done on every prospect far surpasses what we’ve been able to do the previous years,” said Dubas. “We’ll take some of the elements we learned this season ahead with us, when things return to normal in the coming months and years.”

Quebec junior superstar winger Alexis Lafrenière is widely expected to go first overall to the New York Rangers, who won the draft lottery. Whether Sudbury centre Quinton Byfield or German forward Tim Stuetzle goes second to the Los Angeles Kings is the only guessing game left at the top.

The Leafs’ pressing need for next season is a defenceman who shoots right-handed. But Dubas said he’ll be looking for the best player available regardless of position.

“The last two first-round picks we’ve had have been used on defence,” said Dubas. “That’s not to say we wouldn’t use another on a defenceman. Our philosophy has always been, because the player is not going to make an immediate impact on your roster, the way we’ve always approached it is to select the best player, not reach for a position.”

Reactions: Pinto

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
1. Laffy
2. Byfield
3. Rossi
4. Stutzle
5. Raymond
6. Drysdale
7. Perfetti
8. Jarvis
9. Sanderson
10. Askarov
11. Lundell
12. Holtz
13. Amirov
14. Lapierre
15. Zary
16. Quinn
17. Holloway
18. Bourque
19. Reichel
20. Mercer
21. Khusnutdinov
22. Wallinder
23. Niemela
24. Petereka
25. Guhle
26. Weisblat
27. Brisson
28. Schnieder
29. Grieg
30. Grans
31. Cormier

My final 31. I'm really high on Niemela and Cormier.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I'm with you. I didn't think he would have sources, but we'll see tomorrow how accurate he is. On Perrault, Pronman was guessing on that pick. His reasoning was Leafs like skill and he is the most skilled player left. I don't think thats accurate. Sure Leafs want skill but they also value IQ and compete, and Perrault has serious concerns on his compete level. I don't think Pronman is right here. I feel Amirov is the guy with no fallers.
If Jarvis falls, I would he surprised if Dubas passed on him. Would love Lundell as well.
As would I, and it's looking more and more like Lundell could be a possibility at 15 which would be amazing. It says a lot about the quality of the first round when that seems like it could happen.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Lundell or Jarvis falling to 15 would be a dream. Huge f***ups by a bunch of teams if they're both available.

If not, pick Amirov and call it a day.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Some of the names linked to us at 15 make me sick.

In general, I’m not high on a lot of the guys projected in that 12-18 range. Hopefully someone falls to us, but I’m also good with moving up or down.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

MANIFESTING.

We just need to trade up and lock him down at this point. I really don't want any other forward other than Amirov really. Lundell too but I just find it hard to believe teams would let him slide out of the top 10. I don't trust Carolina or even Edmonton if Askarov goes top 10 .

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wow you named 3 guys including someone drafted in 2007 I'm sold...

you claimed “grit in the later rounds is shit”. I gave a few names to prove that wrong, and you cried like a baby.

Josh Anderson, 3rd round
Marchand 3rd round
Simmonds 61st overall

I mean, if you can draft a Tkachuk early on, sure, but not a Biggs, Luke Schenn, Crouse

horner

May 22, 2007
Zayed Wisdom C 5'10 210
Some say a Hyman type of player with better skill
66 gp 59 pts
Has been through alot in his life to appreciate this opportunity
Take him with our 4 th rd pk

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If Askarov is still there, you grab him. He’s for real and our core is young enough to still be elite when he’s ready. Other than that I honestly don’t know enough about the players in our range. BPA obviously. Can’t draft for need. Remember when we wanted more truculence and drafted Biggs, those twins and that “Tucker clone” wherever he is now? Don’t need “tough safe defense men” at 15. Pick them in rounds 3 and up.

HC7

May 2, 2018
If Askarov is still there, you grab him. He’s for real and our core is young enough to still be elite when he’s ready. Other than that I honestly don’t know enough about the players in our range. BPA obviously. Can’t draft for need. Remember when we wanted more truculence and drafted Biggs, those twins and that “Tucker clone” wherever he is now? Don’t need “tough safe defense men” at 15. Pick them in rounds 3 and up.
Buddy he's not making it out of the top 10 let alone 15. You're wasting your breath.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
If the Leafs want Jarvis, they should trade up to guarantee him.

I don't see Jarvis passing the Oilers unless someone else falls. It has been confirmed by Oilers insiders they will take forward unless one of the top 2 D falls or Askarov. In terms of forwards, Oilers don't like Holloway.

Edmonton media has also been talking about Jarvis a lot.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes