Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - First Round Tuesday October 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I still say Dubas might do a trade up.
It's possible. They have a ton of late picks and it looks like there's the chance for someone like Rossi to be available around 10. I think this draft is going to surprise a lot of people, especially without the CHL playoffs or U18's being played before season's end. The start of European hockey and the QMJHL is maybe also a factor.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Now ?? What have these guys been doing since they acquired the pick?? Especially since they have not had one since the Marleau deal and their scouts probably paid little attention to the top prospects.
What's with the outrage? It's not like the scouts or Dubas' spent all season on vacation. They are just debating whether or not to pick, and whether it's wise to trade up or down.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I would use some of the late round picks on prospects who have been injured or even missed the entire year. Just think outside the box to find diamonds in the rough. They should be looked at as high risk high reward picks.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Hypothetical here...Would you rather have picks 15 and 44....or...4 picks from 32-44....or a low 20's, a high 20's and 44?

I’ll take the two first round picks and 44.
At worst you have 24 and 29.

could easily trade 24 and 44 for 15.

15 and 29 > 15 and 44

HC7

May 2, 2018
Pronman has us taking Perrault which wouldn't be great imo. Another offensive RW that likes to play on the perimeter with the puck on his stuck.

God forbid we get someone like Guhle, or Zary that plays the kind of hockey that succeeds in the playoffs.

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The one thing to remember is that there are not many teams that really have the assets to get 15. Chicago would have to offer PIT's 2nd to just get from 17 to 15.

I think if I was serious about moving back, it would be to a team like Anaheim for 27 + 36 + 67 or Ottawa for 28 + 33 + 59/61/64. Otherwise, I would move it to Chicago for 17 + 46.

Other than that, IDK if I would consider any other team. They don't really have the assets unless we do 18 + 20 for 15 + Johnsson from New Jersey. Maybe 19 + 50 + 96 from Calgary.

Main thing is that a 3rd is not going to move us down unless it is Montreal and we are indifferent between two guys.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Pronman has us taking Perrault which wouldn't be great imo. Another offensive RW that likes to play on the perimeter with the puck on his stuck.

God forbid we get someone like Guhle, or Zary that plays the kind of hockey that succeeds in the playoffs.

They are all pretty much stretches at #15.... in particular Guhle and Zary. That being said, we still draft for the BPA, most talent at our position... I fully appreciate that we need some size, and grit, but we've got nine picks in the last few rounds, to throw at some guys with size, and skating ability, that might fly below the radar. That would be part of my strategy... find that grit in later rounds.

HC7

May 2, 2018
They are all pretty much stretches at #15.... in particular Guhle and Zary. That being said, we still draft for the BPA, most talent at our position... I fully appreciate that we need some size, and grit, but we've got nine picks in the last few rounds, to throw at some guys with size, and skating ability, that might fly below the radar. That would be part of my strategy... find that grit in later rounds.

Grit in the later rounds are shit players. You need skilled players that aren't afraid to grind and those guy go in the 1st round. You can still find small offensive talent later in the draft but skill and grit goes quick.

Guhle isn't a stretch at 14, most mocks have him going before or just after.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada

I like Perrault, just maybe not for us. That guy could be a 30-40 goal scorer or literally nothing. I'd rather Mercer, Lapierre, Zary, Reichel, or even Greig.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Grit in the later rounds are shit players. You need skilled players that aren't afraid to grind and those guy go in the 1st round. You can still find small offensive talent later in the draft but skill and grit goes quick.

Guhle isn't a stretch at 14, most mocks have him going before or just after.

Hyman was a 5th round pick.
Patrick Maroon a 6th round pick.
Brendan Lemieux is a second round pick.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
So Pronman did a final mock draft a few minutes ago, and well things seem to have changed. I will put it my own words

1. Rangers are picking Laffy guaranteed.

2. Kings are likely taking Stutzle over Byfield

3. Sens pick the left over

4. Wings take Perfetti but heard they may choose Raymond or Askarov.

5. Most info suggests Sanderson to Sens but isn't confident. Quinn and Askarov are in the mix.

6. Ducks are linked to the 2 d man the most, but says if Sanderson goes #5, Ducks might go with ths highest skilled player on the board in Raymond.

7. Devils like the d men the most. They seem to like Sanderson more, but if he is gone, they take Drysdale.

8. Sabres take Quinn. Has heard him and Rossi the most connected to them, but heard Quinn more.

9. Rossi has to be the obvious pick for the Wild, but if he goes before, Askarov and Holtz are other options.

10. Jets take Holtz but could see Jarvis here too.

11. Preds take Askarov, but it just seemed like he chose him because of fit. Could see Jarvis here as well

12. Pronman has Florida taking Jarvis, but he was just guessing here and the league is too. During the Tallon era, the speculation was Schnieder.

13. Canes take Lapierre. He is what they look for in a player. He has been getting a lot of attention around the league after his fantastic start. Jarvis is an option too.

14. Edmonton takes Hollway. This has been his hunch for some time, and hasn't heard info to stray away from that. Guhle is also another option

15. Leafs take Perrault. He was guessing on this one and basing it on tendancy. Other teams feel Zary and Amirov are possibilities.

If Pronman is correct, and with Florida being the wild card, there is a decent chance Jarvis and Lundell could get to the Leafs

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
So Pronman did a final mock draft a few minutes ago, and well things seem to have changed. I will put it my own words

5. Most info suggests Sanderson to Sens but isn't confident. Quinn and Askarov are in the mix.

6. Ducks are linked to the 2 d man the most, but says if Sanderson goes #5, Ducks might go with ths highest skilled player on the board in Raymond.

7. Devils like the d men the most. They seem to like Sanderson more, but if he is gone, they take Drysdale.

8. Sabres take Quinn. Has heard him and Rossi the most connected to them, but heard Quinn more.

9. Rossi has to be the obvious pick for the Wild, but if he goes before, Askarov and Holtz are other options.

11. Preds take Askarov, but it just seemed like he chose him because of fit. Could see Jarvis here as well

12. Pronman has Florida taking Jarvis, but he was just guessing here and the league is too. During the Tallon era, the speculation was Schnieder.

13. Canes take Lapierre. He is what they look for in a player. He has been getting a lot of attention around the league after his fantastic start. Jarvis is an option too.

14. Edmonton takes Hollway. This has been his hunch for some time, and hasn't heard info to stray away from that. Guhle is also another option

15. Leafs take Perrault. He was guessing on this one and basing it on tendancy. Other teams feel Zary and Amirov are possibilities.

If Pronman is correct, and with Florida being the wild card, there is a decent chance Jarvis and Lundell could get to the Leafs
Is Pronman in regular contact with team scouts or something? You make it sound like he has talked to guys around the league. I'd be a bit disappointed if we took Perrault without trading back first.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada

Looks like Buffalo are all set to shoot themselves in the foot again.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Is Pronman in regular contact with team scouts or something? You make it sound like he has talked to guys around the league. I'd be a bit disappointed if we took Perrault without trading back first.
I'm only going by what he said in the article. "I've heard this team likes him or him" are not my words. He said it in the article himself, so I have to think he has some connections.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I'm only going by what he said in the article. "I've heard this team likes him or him" are not my words. He said it in the article himself, so I have to think he has some connections.
Ok then. I like Pronman but thought he didn't have those connections. I just thought he was a scout/writer for the Athletic. I just seriously hope Perrault is not the pick unlesss we're trading back to 20+ and Khusnutdinov is gone.

Reactions: Morgs

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Lundell falling to 21 is quite the bold call from him. If he's there at 15 that's who I want. I have him ranked 6th overall.

I also had Barzal ranked 6th overall in 2015 and he fell to 16 so who knows.

Reactions: Kangal and aingefan

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Nothing worse than watching your top pick fall to your favourite team only to watch the GM trade the pick or even worse reach on some unheard of guy. Hoping for Jarvis or Lapierre.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

I don't think Perreault even goes top 20. Lundell for sure if he is there at 15 and if gone, then Amirov, Bourque and Zary look way more likely to me than Perrealt. His picks from last year are below. Always interesting but not particularly accurate. Loves him some small danglers (had Bracco at 16 back in 2015)

Corey Pronman
The Athletic

May 21st
Sam Cosentino
Sportsnet

May. 8th
Scott Wheeler
The Athletic

May 6th
1Jack HughesJack Hughes
2Kaapo KakkoKaapo Kakko
3Alex TurcotteBowen Byram
4Bowen ByramAlex Turcotte
5Cole CaufieldTrevor Zegras
6Trevor ZegrasDylan Cozens
7Dylan CozensVasili Podkolzin
8Matthew BoldyKirby Dach
9Philip BrobergMatthew Boldy
10Kirby DachPeyton Krebs
11Alex NewhookPhilip Broberg
12Vasili PodkolzinCole Caufield
13Peyton KrebsAlex Newhook
14Arthur KaliyevVictor Soderstrom
15Ryan SuzukiCam York
16Cam YorkThomas Harley
17Philip TomasinoArthur Kaliyev
18Nils HoglanderSpencer Knight
19Patrik PuistolaVille Heinola
20Thomas Harley
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
To be honest I have no clue. The players I want at 15 are Jarvis, Quinn, Amirov, or Lapierre.

All those guy have potential to be good picks at 15. Its a little surprising Quinn doesn't get more love, but he doesn't seem to be anyone's favorite even with the sniping. Could be this years Skinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad