Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - First Round Tuesday October 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Daemon Hunt is projected at our pick right now according to Bob McKenzie's list and I would happily target him. His season reminds me of the way Morgan Rielly went. Injured, played on a crap team and numbers didn't reflect just how good he was. Granted Rielly's draft year was significantly weaker on overall talent and Mo was a top pick the Dub and a highly touted prospect so his pre-draft year hype got him into the top 5 plus his raw talent was way too much to pass up. Hunt seems like a guy who has major upside but might be less likely to hit it, however I would happily take my shot at him with a 2nd round pick because he's the definition of a HR pick in this years draft. He's one of the hidden gems IMO. Another guy that I think who should get a big look is Pat Brisson's kid. He's been climibing the ladder quickly over these past few months. Having an agent dad in NHL executives' ears probably helps but he looks like he's going to be a stud 2C/3C that can be had in the late 1st ,early 2nd rnd slot.

LOL. Brisson can't even skate and he played on the highest scoring team in junior hockey with tons of help. No this is all hype from his dad.

He's a bust waiting to happen.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
To be fair, and I'm saying this with Jarvis being my favourite prospect in the draft, but to suggest drafting Jarvis makes Marner expendable is dreaming big and also unrealistically. It essentially suggests a top 15 pick guarantees you a top line player. Sure Jarvis could become that, but he isn't Lafreniere, and the suggestion that he could at this point replace Marner is essentially the mystery box/grass is always greener syndromes.

I remember in 2012 a portion of the board was ready to sell off Kessel to acquire 1st overall cause Yakupov would make him expendable....

He doesn't have to be a 90+ point guy to make Marner expendable, just having a Konecny level middle-6 winger on an ELC is enough to leave the offense mostly intact (with Nylander moving up and playing at a PPG level) while saving money and shifting it to D.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
LOL. Brisson can't even skate and he played on the highest scoring team in junior hockey with tons of help. No this is all hype from his dad.

He was the leading scorer on that team and by all reports that I've read from independent scouting agencies, he was the straw that stirred the drink so? Also I thought skating was one of his assets not a weakness. I think he's one of the guys that might rise into the late teens early 20 slots and will catch people off guard. Similar to what Jankowski did a few years back. I didn't think Janko was going to be a star then and I don't think Brisson is going to be a star level player but I think he's going to end up as a solid 2C/3C guy and we need depth at the C slot.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

His high end speed is not the best for a player of his size, but his skating is excellent. It's just like how Marner does not have an amazing top gear like a Kapanen has, but people would likely say that Marner is a much better skater than Kapanen.

I can see him go as early as the mid-20's in this draft. In a normal draft with good depth, he would probably be in the early 30's instead, but he has top 6 center upside and is a lot less of a risk compared to many other guys with his kind of upside in this draft.

That being said, unless we really trade back far, I doubt he is in the range of any of our picks.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
He was the leading scorer on that team and by all reports that I've read from independent scouting agencies, he was the straw that stirred the drink so? Also I thought skating was one of his assets not a weakness. I think he's one of the guys that might rise into the late teens early 20 slots and will catch people off guard. Similar to what Jankowski did a few years back. I didn't think Janko was going to be a star then and I don't think Brisson is going to be a star level player but I think he's going to end up as a solid 2C/3C guy and we need depth at the C slot.

His skating is a problem. If we want a center with skating issues we should draft Connor Zary who is more well rounded.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
His skating is a problem. If we want a center with skating issues we should draft Connor Zary who is more well rounded.
I am not a fan of Zary what so ever. I personally want Lukas Reichel. But I don't think Dubas is going to give me my way. I know Reichel is not a center.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I'd be ok with him in the 2nd round, saying he can't skate is harsh, but he does have heavy feet, not very explosive. Not a perfect comparable, but he kind of reminds me of Dylan Strome, really good puck skills,iq, shot with skating issues.

Wouldn't touch him in the 1st.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
So Scouching (my favourite prospect guy) who bases his ranking lists on watching games, tracking and evaluating statistics has finally released his Braden Schneider video.

If anyone's interested on why I've been extremely vocal on my "dislike" for Schneider at 15 (or really his overall upside), he does a much better job at explaining my overall train of thought.

It's definitely worth watching the entire video, whether you're a fan of him or not.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
So Scouching (my favourite prospect guy) who bases his ranking lists on watching games, tracking and evaluating statistics has finally released his Braden Schneider video.

If anyone's interested on why I've been extremely vocal on my "dislike" for Schneider at 15 (or really his overall upside), he does a much better job at explaining my overall train of thought.

It's definitely worth watching the entire video, whether you're a fan of him or not.

Wow this is great. Going to have to use this resource for a bunch of players.

As for Schneider, he looks solid but kind of.... slow. Not slow enough to consider him a slug, but slow enough that it was noticeable and as the person in the video mentioned, once he plays at a higher level, this could be a concern. Could this be like a Griffin Reinhart scenario? I just think if he's only going to track to be a bottom pairing defenceman, I'd rather take him in the 20s, not at 15.

I will say this though. Posters here will absolutely salivate at the hit at 6:35. That alone would be enough of a scouting report for some here to say we have to take him.

Reactions: Morgs

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Wow this is great. Going to have to use this resource for a bunch of players.

As for Schneider, he looks solid but kind of.... slow. Not slow enough to consider him a slug, but slow enough that it was noticeable and as the person in the video mentioned, once he plays at a higher level, this could be a concern. Could this be like a Griffin Reinhart scenario? I just think if he's only going to track to be a bottom pairing defenceman, I'd rather take him in the 20s, not at 15.

I will say this though. Posters here will absolutely salivate at the hit at 6:35. That alone would be enough of a scouting report for some here to say we have to take him.

Schneider is a good skater. The only issue are his turns. He's not Bryan McCabe bad but it's not a strength.

His defensive play is a major strength and he's very good at breaking up offensive rushes and cycles with a big hit or his long reach. Personally I think there is some untapped offensive potential with him and he's reliable in transition.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
This is the video for William Wallinder. The defensive issues that have popped up, were much more limited when he played in the Allsvenskan. In the video, to me, looked like he was bored of playing in junior taking many more risks than he should. I'd be perfectly happy taking him at 15, but if they know they can get him later, trading back would be better.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

it definitely seems like he has more trouble in the defensive end than advertised. Considering his age and size, I would expect a lot better from a defense first player. His offensive game might be a bit better than advertised though, but still. I could think of like 5-10 players in that range I'd prefer over him

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
it definitely seems like he has more trouble in the defensive end than advertised. Considering his age and size, I would expect a lot better from a defense first player. His offensive game might be a bit better than advertised though, but still. I could think of like 5-10 players in that range I'd prefer over him

How many defensemen in the draft are better defensively? The answer is none. As a defense prospect he's as good as it gets from that standpoint. He completely dominated in the top prospects game against the best forwards in the CHL.

The problems outlined here are common to every 18 year old and very fixable but you can't teach size, skating and aggression. He's basically a more mobile and skilled version of Luke Schenn. I'll take that any day.

One thing I don't like about these "scouching reports" is that he places little to no value on physicality or intangibles like character. In contrast the draft dynasty videos are more comprehensive in terms of an overall evaluation that includes intangible traits and habits of each player.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
How many defensemen in the draft are better defensively? The answer is none. As a defense prospect he's as good as it gets from that standpoint. He completely dominated in the top prospects game against the best forwards in the CHL.

The problems outlined here are common to every 18 year old and very fixable but you can't teach size, skating and aggression. He's basically a more mobile and skilled version of Luke Schenn. I'll take that any day.

One thing I don't like about these "scouching reports" is that he places little to no value on physicality or intangibles like character. In contrast the draft dynasty videos are more comprehensive in terms of an overall evaluation that includes intangible traits and habits of each player.
From a pure defensive stand point Sanderson and Guhle are better for sure and a Drysdale is solid defensively too. All three are also much stronger skaters. If a shutdown dman is what you want at 15, there is no reason to take Schneider ahead of Guhle outside of handedness. Truthfully though, you'd rather have someone with a higher ceiling than either if you pick at 15 and that would mean taking a forward.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

I didn't see quick feet or anything that suggests he will be able to keep up to speedy forwards at the next level. That scouting video shows that when he was attacked wide with speed, he would get beat, or struggle to contain. And being old for the class means less projection. Robertson, for example was the youngest in his class and had a finger injury hampering him.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Drysdale
1 d - think
1 c - move
2 b - get
1 b - pass
2 a - shot
Best part - puck moving
Good part - defensive transitions
Worst part - inconsistent defensive decision making
Overall - 1 c

Wallinder
1 f - think
1 b - move
2 d - get
1 c - pass
1 d - shot
Best part - skating
Good part - offensive approach
Worst part - decision making
Overall - 1 f

Comparison regarding Drysdale and Wallinder based on scouching's videos. The number grade goes from 1-4 with 1 being the best. The letter grade he gives is for consistency. I assume it goes from A-F with A being the best (but I don't actually know how low he gets for the letter grades). Regardless how low it goes he ranks Drysdale and Wallinder the same in 4 of the 5 categories, the only 1 that is different is shot, which he gives Wallinder the edge in. Where things get dicey is in his consistency ratings. If Wallinders consistency can get better, which did show promise when he played up against men according to the video but idk.

Reactions: cookie and Morgs

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Drysdale
1 d - think
1 c - move
2 b - get
1 b - pass
2 a - shot
Best part - puck moving
Good part - defensive transitions
Worst part - inconsistent defensive decision making
Overall - 1 c

Wallinder
1 f - think
1 b - move
2 d - get
1 c - pass
1 d - shot
Best part - skating
Good part - offensive approach
Worst part - decision making
Overall - 1 f

Comparison regarding Drysdale and Wallinder based on scouching's videos. The number grade goes from 1-4 with 1 being the best. The letter grade he gives is for consistency. I assume it goes from A-F with A being the best (but I don't actually know how low he gets for the letter grades). Regardless how low it goes he ranks Drysdale and Wallinder the same in 4 of the 5 categories, the only 1 that is different is shot, which he gives Wallinder the edge in. Where things get dicey is in his consistency ratings. If Wallinders consistency can get better, which did show promise when he played up against men according to the video but idk.

Wallinder has a big upside but the issues with his decision making are serious for a defenseman. He's a classic boom or bust pick. If he can be smarter on the ice he could easily be a top 4 guy. If not he probably never plays in the NHL. His offense may also be limited as his shot is very weak.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I didn't see quick feet or anything that suggests he will be able to keep up to speedy forwards at the next level. That scouting video shows that when he was attacked wide with speed, he would get beat, or struggle to contain. And being old for the class means less projection. Robertson, for example was the youngest in his class and had a finger injury hampering him.

In a playoff series after he plasters said forwards against the boards a few times they'll start dumping the puck in the zone instead of risking the physical punishment.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
In a playoff series after he plasters said forwards against the boards a few times they'll start dumping the puck in the zone instead of risking the physical punishment.
If he catches them, and even then, he doesn't hit very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad