GDT: NHL Entry Draft Day IV - Round 2 On Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
So mark hunter says last year that he always picks for skill. Then turns around and drafts more size than Burke ever did

Its not a dictatorship with hunter at the helm. It's not like they drafted these guys with our top few picks.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
What's everyone so upset about?

Korshkov is about as big of a boom/bust pick possible SO MUCH SKILL and potential

Grundstrom is a ball of energy with skill to complement and was in a lot of 1st rounds

Woll is a perfect pick to wait out the top 3 goalies picked cause we all know drafting goalies is a crap shoot

Greenway is a boom or bust guy who is very toolsy, played top pairing for the USN team

Middleton isn't far off Stanley and just a year ago was well known as a better prospect, we got him how many rounds later?

Brooks led all WHL in scoring and all draft eligable guys in primary scoring

Bobyshev has offense at almost a PPG and is a wrecking ball .....

relax people

Thank You. Great post.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Just for fun (if anyone's still having fun), my top ten remaining:

Dmitri Sokolov
Matthew Phillips
David Quenneville
Jesper Bratt
Zach Sawchenko
Simon Stransky
Igor Shvyryov
David Bernhardt
Eetu Tuulola
Oskar Steen

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
19 year old Jonathan Walker.

Elite Prospects literally has nothing on him :laugh:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Leafs pick American Jack Walker, 5'11" LWer from Victoria (another guy from the Royals).

84pts in 72gm.

Jes5ant

Mar 5, 2014
Hunter said he liked drafting skill.

Let's run through the players that qualify:

Korshkov - Big tough skilled winger that played very well at the World Juniors. Compared to David Backes.

Grundstrum - Player many had as a potential 1st rounder. Hard nosed skilled forward. Potential second liner.

Woll - Big highly regarded goalie. Projected #1 goalie.

Greenway - Big, fast, skilled, raw. Serious talent if he can harness his raw gifts. Think Byfuglien if he hits his potential.

Brooks - Put up a ton of points this year. Late bloomer

Bobylev - Big, tough, scorer. Another late bloomer who exploded this year.

So by my count that is 7/8 picks that addressed the need of skill. They may have been big and skilled. They may have been slightly older and skilled. But they were all skilled.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

Korshkov is about as big of a boom/bust pick possible SO MUCH SKILL and potential

Grundstrom is a ball of energy with skill to complement and was in a lot of 1st rounds

Woll is a perfect pick to wait out the top 3 goalies picked cause we all know drafting goalies is a crap shoot

Greenway is a boom or bust guy who is very toolsy, played top pairing for the USN team

Middleton isn't far off Stanley and just a year ago was well known as a better prospect, we got him how many rounds later?

relax people

Yeah when you pour it that way you're completely right.

I just think that where the team had picks we all had someone else in mind on who they should pick.

Don't recall one guy on here getting the guy they called as "next", which is why I'm not gonna hope for Sokolov, we're not going to get him

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Drafts skill guys people go nuts and complain about lack of size. Draft size and everyone complains about lack of skill.

Would you rather draft your grittier players or sign them as FA where they get overpaid?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

relax people

Well said. Was going to do something similar at the end of the draft. The thing I really like about Hunter drafts is that every player has either or both of:

A. Steep development curve
B. Standout and projectable differentiating trait at the next level

Can't wait to hear more about these guys and hopefully see some of them blow up next year

Also- big thing about these overagers- if we had picked them at their current slot in their initial draft year major eyebrows would have been raised, but the picks would look genius. In many cases they're more than hat you could hope for

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Welcome to Toronto, Jonathan Walker
(most people already hate you don't be offended).

In It 2 Winnik

TankArmy4Puljujarvi
Dec 28, 2013
Toronto
The fact that a guy who put up .76PPG on a horrendous team, while playing with a shoulder that popped out regularly when he was playing has yet to be picked is crazy.

Marlander93

Nov 22, 2015
this feels like a brian burke draft for me. more focus on size than skill. i guess they wanted a proper mix of prospects in the cupboard and since we had mostly skill last year, i guess this year we chose to go with size in order to get that mix? still puzzling to me but i trust hunter and co.

also, not a fan of the 31st pick. wanted benson/debrincat/laberge. oh well.

And that's why you are not a GM lmao

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
You guys are getting worked up for no reason

Wow

I think it's really only a select few, but doesn't sit well with me. Oh well, you've got to understand that you can't appease everyone.

I think the mentality of this draft is surround the young skilled guys, with agitators and grinders that can skate.

A lot of the scouting reports that I've read is that all of these bigger guys can skate. Which means that they have adapted to the new game, but can also drop the gloves or finish hits or retrieve pucks for the skilled guys.

It will be interesting to see how they assemble the team. It will be like having a line of Tymashov and Kapanen on it and then adding a guy that can have their back in Bobylev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad