GDT: NHL entry draft 7/23 & 7/24

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
And Buffalo will pick Power at #1 because they think they will be able to develop him to his potential and correct his issues. And I will sit back and watch them fail at that because they have not shown any capability since McKee was a defenseman, that they could develop one, and watch as Power become another Ristolainen on the team. He will leave you wanting more and fans will think he's a guy that will become a leader just because of where he's drafted.

If they are serious about changing the attitude of the organization, the better selection for the organization is Beniers. He would be the Chris Drury to Cozen's Briere IMO. He's the safest player to be an impact player in the NHL. He already has the toughest issues of prospects developed into his game already with his two-way game.

The goal should be building a team, the gap between the #1 and the #2 isn't that big, and there are more attributes with Beniers that you win with, than you do with a player like Power. I get why people like Power because he's a talented player.
Tell us you like Beniers without shitting on Power.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Tell us you like Beniers without shitting on Power.

I've done that many times, but in this case, I was making a case of why I think they should go Beniers over Power (which they won't). Unfortunately, in the case of this, I would need to criticize Power of why I think they should go with the player that most scouts think is the better talent.

But if you want me to make a case for Beniers as the selection without making comments on Power, or at least JUST saying nice things about Power I can do that.

Deleted member 331730

Is there a livestream for this evening's draft procedure? Living in Germany

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
And Buffalo will pick Power at #1 because they think they will be able to develop him to his potential and correct his issues. And I will sit back and watch them fail at that because they have not shown any capability since McKee was a defenseman, that they could develop one, and watch as Power become another Ristolainen on the team. He will leave you wanting more and fans will think he's a guy that will become a leader just because of where he's drafted.

If they are serious about changing the attitude of the organization, the better selection for the organization is Beniers. He would be the Chris Drury to Cozen's Briere IMO. He's the safest player to be an impact player in the NHL. He already has the toughest issues of prospects developed into his game already with his two-way game.

The goal should be building a team, the gap between the #1 and the #2 isn't that big, and there are more attributes with Beniers that you win with, than you do with a player like Power. I get why people like Power because he's a talented player.
You can't say this group of guys hired this year can't develop players because of previous years thats utter bullshit and you are better than that.To say they should pick Beniers who I like after Power over Power because they will turn him into Risto is such nonsense I don't know what to say.Very disappointed in your analogy

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Figured I’d drop my top 13 skaters now.

1. Matthew Beniers
2. William Eklund
3. Brandt Clarke
4. Owen Power
5. Luke Hughes
6. Dylan Guenther
7. Fabian Lysell
8. Mason McTavish
9. Kent Johnson
10. Cole Sillinger
11. Chaz Lucius
12. Matthew Coronato
13. Simon Edvinsson

Give me any of these guys (hopefully not Edvinsson) or one of the goalies at 13 and I’m happy.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Not as high on Coronato and Svechkov as many are, but I also realize they are definite options in that range and could live with that too.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Not as high on Coronato and Svechkov as many are, but I also realize they are definite options in that range and could live with that too.
I like Coronato, you can't diminish his ability to put the puck in the net, could use some more foot speed though. One culture changing prospect in that range could be Othmann as he's a hard nosed bastard no one likes to play against

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
You can't say this group of guys hired this year can't develop players because of previous years thats utter bullshit and you are better than that.To say they should pick Beniers who I like after Power over Power because they will turn him into Risto is such nonsense I don't know what to say.Very disappointed in your analogy

I have no reason or confidence to believe that they can develop a guy like Power and develop the most out of him. Until they prove otherwise, I'm not putting any weight into him being handled correctly with this organization, and I feel will be a miss of what he could be with Buffalo, much like how I feel how they have handled Dahlin and where Dahlin is in his career so far. And sure, it may be foolish to hold that opinion, but I feel at the same time, it's a little foolish to hold the position that they will develop when we don't know if they can. Sure some may be optimistic and HOPE they can, but I'm going to go by the lack of quality people Buffalo has shown to hire will continue.

Beniers is a safer pick in my opinion and even if he doesn't develop a good offensive game where he produces points, the other aspects of his game are so good and effective and can transition to the NHL level easily, that you're going to get at the very least a solid top 6 player that you can use in all sorts of roles, and be the glue to any line he's on.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Wyshynski's NHL mock draft: First-round pick predictions and perfect outcomes

i

14. Philadelphia Flyers

What makes sense: Matthew Coronato, RW, Chicago (USHL)
He's Harvard bound, so the Flyers wouldn't get him immediately. But when they did, they'd be getting a gritty forward who had 48 goals in 51 games in the USHL last season. And if there's anything they love in Philly, it's Gritty.
Our pick: Matthew Coronato, RW, Chicago (USHL)
Coronato is the kind of player who seems to fit the world view of both the Flyers as an organization and of GM Chuck Fletcher as a talent evaluator.

I would be very happy if the Sabres took Coronato with that pick.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I know it sounds ridiculous for a guy who scored 48 in 51, but I just question Coronato's upside.

That is not to say I don't think he will a good player; I think he will be a nice middle-6 scorer who is worth of a top-20ish pick, just don't think I could convince myself of him over Sillinger or Lysell when it comes down to it (two guys I think are quite possible to be there)

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I know it sounds ridiculous for a guy who scored 48 in 51, but I just question Coronato's upside.

That is not to say I don't think he will a good player; I think he will be a nice middle-6 scorer who is worth of a top-20ish pick, just don't think I could convince myself of him over Sillinger or Lysell when it comes down to it (two guys I think are quite possible to be there)
I only watched a little of each but that's how I felt about sillinger. Would lean Coronato

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad