GDT: NHL Draft Part Duex

matt1396

Jul 28, 2012
Toronto
If JR wanted to get a young player with size and some upside I would've rather seen him try and make a move for Puljujarvi. Poulin is gonna be NHL ready for the end of this window, Puljujarvi could at least potentially make an impact next season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Remember when GM's there had never been so much discussion before in their careers? Pepperidge farm remembers....

Heh. Yup.

It's gotta happen though sooner or later. No choice.

Anyway, moderately fun night. Highlights:

- The Dallas guy being too rich to figure out how to read a guy's name right
- Cole going ga-ga over the player's suits
- Being really rather jealous of Colorado
- The noise when Yzerman took Seider

I'm happy enough with the Pens choice, there's a few things to cavil at about it (skating/positional need/trading down) but whatevs, we're a pretty far way from having the weirdest looking choice there.

Hopefully he does some fun stuff tomorrow to slip out of cap, maybe get us some picks before god knows o'clock.

They wanted Kaliyev/Lavoie/Brink/Hoglander. Johnson is a safe boring pick

I kinda don't blame them, but they're a tire fire of an org who need to start hitting their picks and who have the defence of a cannibal with a freezer full of human limbs. I'd be happier if I were them.

Trade Phil for a bunch of second rounders tomorrow. That'll work.

You're my kind of madman Randy.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I see him more as a complementary piece to play WITH this core. He is exactly what we have lacked for a very long time.

And, by drafting a CHLer, he gets to compete right away for a job in training camp. Win-win.

I see zero downside with this pick.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don’t like JR threatening to take my favourite players away and then feeling relieved when he doesn’t, as it’s clearly just to distract me from the fact that JJ is still here. I see you Jimmy and I’m still mad.

Bruru71

Jun 25, 2014
I see him more as a complementary piece to play WITH this core. He is exactly what we have lacked for a very long time.

And, by drafting a CHLer, he gets to compete right away for a job in training camp. Win-win.

I see zero downside with this pick.
Well he sees himself as 2-3 years away so core will be 34-35 then.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don’t like JR threatening to take my favourite players away and then feeling relieved when he doesn’t, as it’s clearly just to distract me from the fact that JJ is still here. I see you Jimmy and I’m still mad.
I'm having trouble parsing this post.

"JR was going to trade JJ. He didn't trade JJ. The threat of trading JJ was just to distract me from the fact that JJ is still here."

It makes no sense, man.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'm having trouble parsing this post.

"JR was going to trade JJ. He didn't trade JJ. The threat of trading JJ was just to distract me from the fact that JJ is still here."

It makes no sense, man.

The question here is why did you assume favourites players meant JJ and not Malkin and Letang.

(I’m saying the threats to Geno and Letang are a false flag to keep me content when they’re inevitably not traded)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Now that the 1st round is done, I'd definitely take the gamble on Kaliyev. I think Kaliyev is too risky for a team to comfortably use their 1st pick on, but using a 2nd rounder on him is well worth it.

I expect the Penguins to pick up an additional pick or 2 tomorrow, probably from trading Jarry. I'd like the Penguins to go defense heavy for the rest of this draft and also draft a goalie. They seem to be a lot better suited with forward prospects (Poulin, Bjorkqvist, Bellerive, Hallander and Almeida as younger guys, plus guys like Lafferty, Angello, Johnson and Miletic in WBS) than defense prospects (Addison and maybe Almari?).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Now that the 1st round is done, I'd definitely take the gamble on Kaliyev. I think Kaliyev is too risky for a team to comfortably use their 1st pick on, but using a 2nd rounder on him is well worth it.

I expect the Penguins to pick up an additional pick or 2 tomorrow, probably from trading Jarry. I'd like the Penguins to go defense heavy for the rest of this draft and also draft a goalie. They seem to be a lot better suited with forward prospects (Poulin, Bjorkqvist, Bellerive, Hallander and Almeida as younger guys, plus guys like Lafferty, Angello, Johnson and Miletic in WBS) than defense prospects (Addison and maybe Almari?).

I'd prefer something balanced. We've got more good forwards, but we've also got more dmen out of the org, and a couple more Fs to keep the trickle going would make sense. Although who am I kidding, we'll just sign an army of college and CHL FAs like we always do and since we seemingly can't connect on a dman there for love or money... next time we trade with Anaheim, we need to trade some scouts as well, because clearly nobody in this org is fit for task on evaluating D.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Boring draft in terms of no trades going down despite all the "talk and rumors" of big names potentially being on the move.

Then again, that seems to happen 99% of the time we're expected to see a bunch of big moves.

Reactions: Peat and domaug

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If JR wanted to get a young player with size and some upside I would've rather seen him try and make a move for Puljujarvi. Poulin is gonna be NHL ready for the end of this window, Puljujarvi could at least potentially make an impact next season.

I like Puljujarvi, too. But he has to play in the NHL or else he can't play anywhere else. It limits what you can do. He probably would be ticketed for the fourth line.

Also, why not both Poulin and Puljujarvi?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad