GDT: NHL Draft Part Duex

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
From the previous thread, closed before I could post.

Getzlaf and Perry are the two guys I always think of first... there were questions about their skating and they slipped.

The monster under JRs bed also had some questions about his skating coming out. Was considered a choppy skater.

Lucic same deal.

As I said below, I could see a kid like this on some teams out west. But the Pens won two cups going the opposite direction. And changed abruptly for no good reason leaving them again with no real identity, trying to have a foot in both camps and ending up just a mess.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Remember when GM's there had never been so much discussion before in their careers? Pepperidge farm remembers....

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

As I said below, I could see a kid like this on some teams out west. But the Pens won two cups going the opposite direction. And changed abruptly for no good reason leaving them again with no real identity, trying to have a foot in both camps and ending up just a mess.

This kid is a KID. Trying to project him onto the 2016 Penguins and claiming he wouldn’t fit if he was 5 years older or that he’d only succeed in the west is just a ridiculous exercise.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Highlight of the night, Cole trolling the board "experts" and the over serious.

I forget which draft it was... but there were a shit load of Kovalev to the Pens rumors. And it took my whole night following it seriously. And didn't happen. And this was when Kovy was still somewhat decent.

That was the night I said i'd never take this shit serious again and would just have fun with it. It's entertainment at the end of the day.

Reactions: td_ice

Extra Gloves

Jun 21, 2019
Remember when GM's there had never been so much discussion before in their careers? Pepperidge farm remembers....

How many trades are ready to go once they know what the cap is?

500K - 1 mil might not sound like a lot but there are teams with their nuts in a vice that that little amount can be the difference between moving an ok player to something better.

Reactions: Peat and Turin

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Some teams can cover players’s skating shortage by playing structured hockey. However, whatever Sullivan’s system is right now is definitely not structured hockey. The disconnect between Sully and JR is obvious. Fire Sully or fire JR or both.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh

To be fair, even if he was looking to move one of them, he wouldn't say he was.... and that's for a lot of reasons.

To want to trade a player you have to be prepared to keep that player... Otherwise their value tanks if other GMs think you are actively trying to unload them.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
I can't post enough eye roll gifs to sum up my reply to the people complaining about the Poulin pick because "pushback".

People get fixated on certain players and will think any pick other than that player is ****.

Brink whose skating isn't that great either or Suzuki - a perimeter player that isn't overly competitive. Lavoie? He's older and his hockey IQ isn't great. Tomasino - just speed? limited upside? You can literally find a flaw in any prospect.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This kid is a KID. Trying to project him onto the 2016 Penguins and claiming he wouldn’t fit if he was 5 years older or that he’d only succeed in the west is just a ridiculous exercise.

It just blows my mind that people are seriously whining about this pick. The kid is 18 and there are a ton of players who have gone from worse skating than what he has to being a good skater in the NHL. Not only that, but if he improves his skating and hits his ceiling, the Penguins have a talented top-6 power forward, which is an incredibly unique and rare player. It's just crazy talk.

Like his upside is already top-6 as it is. If he becomes a better skater, he's a top-10 caliber pick in this draft.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
To be fair, even if he was looking to move one of them, he wouldn't say he was.... and that's for a lot of reasons.

To want to trade a player you have to be prepared to keep that player... Otherwise their value tanks if other GMs think you are actively trying to unload them.

Or Kris and Geno won't be moved. one or the other for sure

Reactions: KIRK

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Too bad they work in a Mickey Mouse league that cant figure out a cap in time.
It's pretty f***ing ridiculous. Like they couldn't find the time to set a number ( and deal with it later?)over the last 2 or 3 days?

* My wife is a contract attorney and she's laughing at what I've told her.

Reactions: Turin

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

By the time this kid steps on the ice in 3-4 years this team will be circling the drain.

Speed won’t be their identity then, rebuilding will be.

This league is obsessed with size and power... if this dude can build off his late season surge next season, he will be an attractive trade chip.

To me, that’s where his value lays for this core.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It just blows my mind that people are seriously whining about this pick. The kid is 18 and there are a ton of players who have gone from worse skating than what he has to being a good skater in the NHL. Not only that, but if he improves his skating and hits his ceiling, the Penguins have a talented top-6 power forward, which is an incredibly unique and rare player. It's just crazy talk.

Like his upside is already top-6 as it is. If he becomes a better skater, he's a top-10 caliber pick in this draft.

The Penguins need to draft size, speed, puck skills, intensity and hockey sense at #21 or else I won’t be satisfied. If you remove raw speed from the equation you might as well save him for the 6th round.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad