GDT: NHL Draft Lottery (6:30PM ET on Sportsnet & TVA Sports)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
There’s examples of that almost every year.

There’s a high probably Wright isn’t the best player in his draft class, but it’s also a high probability he’s in the top-5 of his draft class.

Cases could be made for almost every draft that doesn’t have a generational player at the top of it that the 1st overall isnt legitimately the best player of the draft

since 2000-2017

2017: no, probably Makar
2016: yes, Matthews
2015: yes,McDavid
2014: no, prob Draisaitl
2013: yes, MacKinnon. Strong ass case for Barkov though.
2012: no, Reilly/Forsberg (who was the early pick for #1 a year before the draft, btw)
2011: no, Kucherov/Huberdeau.
2010: toss up, pick Hall or Seguin. A lot of teams may have taken Seguin that year. It was a huge debate.
2009: yes, but extremely close with Hedman
2008: yes, Stamkos. Many would’ve argued Doughty or Karlsson 3-4 years ago though.
2007: yes, Kane
2006: no, Backstrom/Giroux
2005: Yes, Crosby.
2004: yes, Ovie. Malkin close
2003: no, probably Bergeron/Getzlaf/Staal. At one point you could’ve made a case for like 10 guys.
2002: yes, Nash. Case could be made for Keith
2001: yes, Kovalchuk.
2000: no, probably Gaborik.

How many of these years is the consensus not a top 5 player in his draft?

The Wright situation right now reminds a lot of the 2012 situation with Forsberg. He was seen before his draft year as a small favourite for 1st overall, but his stock rapidly fell throughout the year because he just wasn’t as flashy and sexy as the other guys. In hindsight, Forsberg was arguably the best pick you could’ve made that year. If Wright can that guy.. I’m satisfied.

Rielly? Id take Forsberg and Terevainen way before Rielly.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
It's a shame badly run teams are even rewarded with good players, what a silly concept, but let's not look a gift horse in the mouth. This season was painful, not sure if we can do it again -- so I hope whoever we get is a "Franchise Player" we can build around.
So they should give the rewards to the good teams?

We have our franchise players Suzuki - Caufield

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I knew the odds were long but I was so bummed we didn't get Crosby.

This is a nice read, Crosby wanted to play with us, it would have been the dream scenario for the team. We would have had our Tavares moment if we managed to get him. We came close that’s for sure.

Not sure if this is a reliable source but in 2012 Crosby was entertaining the idea of signing with us before he re-signed with Pittsburgh. He called a former Habs Defensemen (Hal Gill?) and asked him to sell Montreal to him. That former player told him to stay in Pittsburgh.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022

This is a nice read, Crosby wanted to play with us, it would have been the dream scenario for the team. We would have had our Tavares moment if we managed to get him. We came close that’s for sure.

Not sure if this is a reliable source but in 2012 Crosby was entertaining the idea of signing with us before he re-signed with Pittsburgh. He called a former Habs Defensemen (Hal Gill?) and asked him to sell Montreal to him. That former player told him to stay in Pittsburgh.
Very doubtful, if Crosby wanted to come to Montreal nothing would have stopped him.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Imagine the 2012-2016 Habs with Crosby as #1 C and not Desharnais..

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Very doubtful, if Crosby wanted to come to Montreal nothing would have stopped him.
Who knows I mean the source is not the most reliable but I think Crosby played with the idea for a moment.

Not to the point of reaching out to us about a possible contract but I think he asked around briefly to players and moved on when the news wasn’t positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
I can't to stop hearing about our percentage to get this or that pick...this is just stupid. So we have little chance to get the 1st pick. Great. Yet, others have even less chance.

Well, I guess what we care about is the odds of habs 1st vs non-habs 1st.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
1st was retained last year by the last place team.

1st hasn't been retained in two consecutive years since 09 and 10 when the odds were different and a lot better for bottom 5.

Being a betting man, I'd say we get 2nd or the dreaded 3rd.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Are they gonna just go through the list of teams revealing where everyone picks, or do the ping pong ball machine thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad