Saskatoon
Ah yes, it’s that time of the year again

Attachments

• 7D60E74B-0C38-4887-BDD7-EAED89A95DB9.jpeg
    7D60E74B-0C38-4887-BDD7-EAED89A95DB9.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 7

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If we get the first overall, we apologize to no one. And wishing to get the #2 instead of the prime cherry makes zero sense.
Do you want us to finish up as runner up for the cup too, so everyone else wouldn't be so mean to us?

I know Laf is better but I like Byfield more. So that has a bit to do with it as well.

I'm just sick of the Oilers being second class citizens in the hockey world. The endless lottery wins get thrown in our face too much. If we have to be hated at least let it be for winning another cup/having a great team rather than because of lotto luck.

I'm all for the cup of course but even being runner up like in 2006 is pretty damn fun/special.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Winning first overall would be very Oilers. I fully believe the Oilers are hated by many because of their lottery wins.

I was kind of hoping the #2 pick would be the one, if any, to be available. That way if the Oilers lost and if the Oilers won the #2 draft spot, it wouldn't be quiet as bad.

On a serious note winning the entry round is really the only thing Oilers fans should be rooting for. McDavid and the team need an official playoff appearance. Chance to win the cup is what it's all about and under the circumstances the Oilers have a better chance than many/most. Also if we did get the #1 slot the bonus structure would be incredibly difficult to fit in the current cap situation. Even a standard 1st OA bonus Laden ELC could break the Oilers. McDavid could put a bad #1 into Calder talks just by sitting next to him on the bench... And then signing a another potential superstar... would be next to impossible after the ELC. While a good problem to have it would be a problem.
Who cares what other teams think of us?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Lafreniere is starting to get overhyped a bit IMO.

He's a very good prospect, but there is some disappointment potential there. He's a very solid two-way player with a formidable shot and hockey sense, but sometimes those types of players find it difficult to put up consistently elite offensive totals at the NHL level, especially since he doesn't possess exceptionally dynamic skating or have a standout trait like size.

Hossa is a nice comparable for upside, but there is also potential for Dan Cleary-type disappointment too.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

He's a very good prospect, but there is some disappointment potential there. He's a very solid two-way player with a formidable shot and hockey sense, but sometimes those types of players find it difficult to put up consistently elite offensive totals at the NHL level, especially since he doesn't possess exceptionally dynamic skating or have a standout trait like size.

Hossa is a nice comparable for upside, but there is also potential for Dan Cleary-type disappointment too.

I think hes going to be a very good player but I am not sure where the narrative is that hes the best prospect since McDavid came from. I've heard some people compare to him to the level of Matthews, but seems like the media just running with best since McDavid thing. I am not saying that he cant be better Matthews but just seems the media is starting to overhype I think. But generally speaking, wingers just dont impact the game that much. Patrick Kane might be the exception. Even as legendary as Ovechkin is, Washington had to build a great team around him in order to win. Hes going to need a good center in order to move the needle for the team hes on, which is possible depending on who gets him. I honestly think a team like Ottawa will be better off with Byfield/Stutzle since they can play center.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think hes going to be a very good player but I am not sure where the narrative is that hes the best prospect since McDavid came from. I've heard some people compare to him to the level of Matthews, but seems like the media just running with best since McDavid thing. I am not saying that he cant be better Matthews but just seems the media is starting to overhype I think. But generally speaking, wingers just dont impact the game that much. Patrick Kane might be the exception. Even as legendary as Ovechkin is, Washington had to build a great team around him in order to win. Hes going to need a good center in order to move the needle for the team hes on, which is possible depending on who gets him. I honestly think a team like Ottawa will be better off with Byfield/Stutzle since they can play center.

Yeah, pretty much what I think too. I think he's closer to RNH level than Matthews level.

Not that RNH is a bad player, but he's not a franchise-level type forward that many people seem to be expecting from Lafreniere. And Matthews might not even be franchise-level either, the jury is still out on that - but I think Lafreniere is a step below Matthews.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yeah, pretty much what I think too. I think he's closer to RNH level than Matthews level.

Not that RNH is a bad player, but he's not a franchise-level type forward that many people seem to be expecting from Lafreniere. And Matthews might not even be franchise-level either, the jury is still out on that - but I think Lafreniere is a step below Matthews.

I am not sure on the talent level so RNH may be a decent comparable (speaking from talent point of view). I just think Lafreniere has more layers to his game so that will serve him well. But once again hes a winger, so how much is hes going to impact the game? It remains to be seen.

The one thing I do think Lafreniere has going for him is that I think he has really high drive to keep getting better. His compete is elite. I am a RNH fan but lets be honest, hes not all that much different than the player we drafted. Even Matthews, how much better is he now than his first year? On the flip side of the coin, Draisaitl's progression is crazy, he has a very high drive to keep getting better. But hard to know even if the drive is there, some players just peak differently.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I am not sure on the talent level so RNH may be a decent comparable (speaking from talent point of view). I just think Lafreniere has more layers to his game so that will serve him well. But once again hes a winger, so how much is hes going to impact the game? It remains to be seen.

The one thing I do think Lafreniere has going for him is that I think he has really high drive to keep getting better. His compete is elite. I am a RNH fan but lets be honest, hes not all that much different than the player we drafted. Even Matthews, how much better is he now than his first year? On the flip side of the coin, Draisaitl's progression is crazy, he has a very high drive to keep getting better.

I think Lafreniere is a better prospect than RNH but not at the same level as Matthews was.

And while I think he will be a good piece to build your core around, I don't think he will be the main piece to build your core around, if that makes any sense.

Reactions: FlameChampion

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

His edge works is really good. It’s his top speed he needs to work on but it’s been proven that can be worked on. Look at Drai.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
After the Oilers lose to the Hawks, and we win the 1st Overall, and then the rest of the playoffs get cancelled from COVID, I would actually love to see Laf play with Draisaitl and Hall.

We can put Yammer and RNH with McDavid.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Seems like to me Stutzle has a lot more hype than Draisaitl did. (I personally follow the draft more then before so I could be wrong).

Just seemed like people liked Draisaitl because he was big and a center to be honest. I remember Scouts liking Draisaitl but I dont really remember him getting that much praise compared to Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett, everyone continuously pointed out his skating. On the flip side if you ever read Sam Bennetts scouting report, it read like he was the next coming of Mark Messier or something, and was a cant miss prospect. I just dont think that many people (in media) seen the potential of Draisaitl. I guess to be fair, Draisaitls progression is crazy compared to your typically top 5 prospect.

space321

May 11, 2011
Yeah, years of trying to put bandaids on something that needed to be rebuilt to try to satisfy a dying owner was unfortunate, but not sure that was entirely his choice.

It's quite something else to make it clear to a team that the GM is going to do absolutely nothing to help the players in any way and he doesn't care at all about wins, leading to the team throwing the towel in before the first puck drop of the year. Intentional tanks to this extreme by management deserve #4 OA.

That could be true, but Kassian's contract just reminds me of Holland's later Detroit years...

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

I personally have him closer to a Taylor hall level of a first overall, rather than a Mackinnon.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I actually really irrationally hate Detriot. I hated all the hype they got over the last 15 years and how people held them up as the absolute gold standard for draft + developing- when really they had gotten extremely lucky in a few drafts in the late 90s/early 2000s and rode those guys for a decade. From 2005 till now they had been actually pretty bad at drafting.

The fans were really the worst offenders of this

So seeing them drop to 4th is awesome. I also love mayhem, so seeing a good team with #1 would be incredible

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I would also never cheer for losses- but this "playoffs" may be an exception. Only for the reason I do not think there will be a full playoffs. *If* the season does restart, I think well make it through the play in round and maybe one series before the league gets shut down again.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
As much as this has turned into a freakout about Edmonton potentially getting first overall, the chaos lover has to also appreciate the thought that Pittsburgh could very well get beat by Carey Price. Imagine Pittsburgh picking up the number 1 to groom under Crosby and Malkin for three years on the cheap?

After the league f***ed this up as badly as they did, Edmonton and Pittsburgh are the teams I want most to win it. Though I'm cheering for the Oilers to win their series.

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad