Prospect Info: NHL Draft, June 27-28, 2014

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So who's going to be this year's "Cam Fowler"? A highly rated prospect that just falls way lower than expected.

Could be Virtanen, if the injury concerns are true.

I think the upside won't deter folks too much, but I'd be thrilled if he fell to us.

Really have a hard time seeing us not taking Larkin. Said he wants to be a Wing, committed to U of M, and from Michigan. Plus he projects to be a safe two way center.

Seems like a tailor-made Wings pick.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
lot of people expect him to fall.

True. Hard to pick a guy who is expected to go top ~5ish to slide 10 spots or so. I just figure Ho Sang has some polarizing rankings, so he is the safest bet for that kind of thing. I've also seen Nylander's mock spots being all over the place, so I guess the fans think he could be a guy that slides.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't know if this would count...

But don't think I've seen any more disparity with a prospect than where Kapanen is projected to go. I have seen from top 10 of the 1st, to top 10 of the 2nd.

So depending on what you believe, that could be a guy that "falls" a lot.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I don't know if this would count...

But don't think I've seen any more disparity with a prospect than where Kapanen is projected to go. I have seen from top 10 of the 1st, to top 10 of the 2nd.

So depending on what you believe, that could be a guy that "falls" a lot.

bobby mac's list is the master list so it would be the best to look at it.

he's 11th there.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I would be happy with any one of:

McCann
Barbashev
Larkin
Kempe
Tuch
Milano
Scherbak

I tend to like centers who skate well, have decent size, somewhat high hockey IQs and show some physicality and willingness to get dirty. The first four embody this to some degree (some more than others).

I really like Milano for his acceleration and hands and Scherbak for his timing, intelligence and overall offensive skill. I think Tuch is a nice combo of size and skill with respectable skating. He will take time to develop but could be very good at the pro level. I think the absolute best we can reasonably expect is a second-line forward from this spot.

The second round doesn't get me excited. In fact, I am much more interested in some later-round flyers. I don't mind that we don't have a second this year and am not fixated on trading down.

I honestly have no clue what the wings are going to do with this year's draft.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The last time the Red Wings did not take a player from Sweden in the draft was 1992.

Holy crap lol.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I would be really curious to know what Hakan's opinion of Adrian Kempe is.

By all accounts he has the size, tools, and work ethic to be a good prospect.

Yeah, I think he could very well be a surprise pick.

Not rankings wise because most mocks have him right up there, but based on this board's expectations.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Fabbri, or else I will throw rather large objects through a certain office window of a certain Red Wings GM whose initials start with Ken Holland.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Enough of the small Euro's... Look at how the Kings are built, that's championship roster for ya. Basically no sub 6'0ft nor sub 200lbs players.

Fiala is one of those rare Euro's that have amazing skill along with some grit to his game. The kid also plays with a lot of heart and determination, I just think he would fit in great with the Wings.

Brandel*

won't be surprised if the wings trade today/tmrw for a defenceman. hoping to draft fabbri 15th or trade down

Last edited by a moderator:

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
With the 15th pick I think we take a homerun type of prospect.

I hope the Wings don't take a safe pick like Larkin, with not as high of an upside.

Based on the Mantha pick last year, I think we go with a high upside/star type player who is overlooked for whatever reason.

Sonny Milano, Robbie Fabbri type.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
With the 15th pick I think we take a homerun type of prospect.

I hope the Wings don't take a safe pick like Larkin, with not as high of an upside.

Based on the Mantha pick last year, I think we go with a high upside/star type player who is overlooked for whatever reason.

Sonny Milano, Robbie Fabbri type.

I just dont see them taking Larkin. Not when there's larger, skilled players, who's toughness is not questioned.

Tuch or Scherbak it is...

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Oh and I'm not sleeping on Nicolay Golobin either. Another huge upside/homerun type player.

This kid had absolutely nobody to play with last year in Sarnia and still put up great numbers to lead his team in scoring by over 20 points.

I know we haven't taken Russians lately, but Igor Larionov is his agent, so Holland may be inclined to trust Larionov at his word about Golobin's NHL intentions. (Like Yzerman did with Namestikov).

Also weird fact that the Wings top pick in each of the last 3 years (Mantha, Jurco and Frk) were all late birthdays from the CHL. Golobin fits that bill too.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Oh and I'm not sleeping on Nicolay Golobin either. Another huge upside/homerun type player.

This kid had absolutely nobody to play with last year in Sarnia and still put up great numbers to lead his team in scoring by over 20 points.

I know we haven't taken Russians lately, but Igor Larionov is his agent, so Holland may be inclined to trust Larionov at his word about Golobin's NHL intentions. (Like Yzerman did with Namestikov).

Also weird fact that the Wings top pick in each of the last 3 years (Mantha, Jurco and Frk) were all late birthdays from the CHL. Golobin fits that bill too.

He's as skilled as anyone in the draft. His size, his being Russian and he lack of a 200' game are going to put him in the 20s somewhere. Back in February, I thought he'd feel out the season getting better at the 200' part. He didnt.

If they trade down, he's a prime target, as he fits their mentality. It's going to take him 3 years though unless he gets on the Jurco bus and follows his path.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
He's as skilled as anyone in the draft. His size, his being Russian and he lack of a 200' game are going to put him in the 20s somewhere. Back in February, I thought he'd feel out the season getting better at the 200' part. He didnt.

If they trade down, he's a prime target, as he fits their mentality. It's going to take him 3 years though unless he gets on the Jurco bus and follows his path.

That team and organization are a mess. Infighting amongst players, inexperienced coaching ect. I can only imagine what this kid must have been thinking.

I wouldn't hold his all around play against him at all. I would take him for his talent alone and assume Sarnia has been holding him back.

If we trade back and get him, great. But even at 15, if he is our guy, I'm ok with that.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
What's his advanced stats say?

Can't calculate fancy stats that low, they don't keep track of all those different shot types. All you can do is look for trends with the box score stats...

And I really love what I see in Fabbri with respect to some of the elite talents that have come out of the draft in years past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad