GDT: NHL DRAFT | Friday, June 24th, 5pm MT (NBCSN, SN) | Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
Just realizing now that Max Jones plays and looks a lot like Corey Perry now that he's been drafted by the Ducks. Mr. Slew Foot Jr.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Dammit hope he'd get taken by an Eastern conference team, don't want a potential psycho like Jones within conference.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So it looks like we're not improving the defense this year, either through the draft or trade.

Yey another season of Holden as a top four defender!

IKR. Guess it's a matter of, ok, lets keep the status quo, do nothing, and hope that magical "on" button gets hit.

Sakic has failed to improve the blueline for the 3rd year straight.

Good god, the 1st round isn't even over yet guys...

If the Avs don't walk away with a new Defenseman this weekend, I will be somewhat surprised, but it's not as if they're not trying. They definitely are trying to find someone, but they're not going to overpay.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Or, we could, you know...just not play Holden in top 4 minutes and assume betweem EJ, Barrie, FB and the two kids - we could cover that extra 4-6 minutes he should not be playing.

But...with Roy that may be asking for too much.

Hope that rumor of us dealing depth players for extra mid and late picks comes true tomorrow. Holden off the team is good even if he is a serviceable 5/6 because it won't let Roy have that bad option of playing him 22 minutes a night every single night.

FB literally slowed before our very eyes as the season progressed. He needs reduced minutes now. 2nd or 3rd pairing now.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO

If the Avs don't walk away with a new Defenseman this weekend, I will be somewhat surprised, but it's not as if they're not trying. They definitely are trying to find someone, but they're not going to overpay.

For real. They've still got time to make a trade or two. Just because they didn't move the 10 overall or back into the first round doesn't mean they won't trade for a dman. We have roster players we can trade, too.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Or, we could, you know...just not play Holden in top 4 minutes and assume betweem EJ, Barrie, FB and the two kids - we could cover that extra 4-6 minutes he should not be playing.

Hope that rumor of us dealing depth players for extra mid and late picks comes true tomorrow. Holden off the team is good even if he is a serviceable 5/6 because it won't let Roy have that bad option of playing him 22 minutes a night every single night.

Yeah I mean, we do have four top four defenders... but you got my point.

Barrie - EJ
Zadorov - FB

Nope

FB - EJ
Holden - Barrie
Zadorov - Bigras

That is somehow what we'll end up with

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham

I would be totally fine getting rid of bottom players if it means getting some picks in the early second round. But outside of that, not sure. If we can get Tage or DBC or Abramov or Howden or Hajek or . . .still enough out there to gamble on.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

I'd be surprised if they trade Holden as they need him to be exposed under the 40/70 gms expansion rule.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012

Hope you're right mate, but you have to take history into consideration. I worry what hole we will be creating to acquire another D-man? We aren't rich enough in talent right now. It will be like moving the bandaid rather than getting a second one out. The only way to really improve on D, would be through free agency or the draft. Trading say Duchene (when we can't score already) for another defensemen would be devastating.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
FB literally slowed before our very eyes as the season progressed. He needs reduced minutes now. 2nd or 3rd pairing now.

FB can play second pairing minutes, he just can't have those 24-25 minute a night games consistently like we rode him this year. EJ should be 24+ a night, Barrie was already over 23 a night. Most teams don't call it a magic button, they just call it good development of top young players. Zadorov and Bigras are 21 and have experience now - it is not foolhardy to think between both, one of them steps up next year. Yes, I'd still like another solid top 4 guy but our cap situation sucks and I'd rather not overpay yet again

Also it's a little disingenuous to say Sakic has failed to improve the blueline three years running...he got FB last year and despite his second half slow-down, he was a big addition to the blueline. And this off-season hasn't even really started yet.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The questions Tappen's asking or been told to ask are so boring, hence the boring responses. "What does it mean to you....."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad