GDT: NHL Draft Day 2 GDT

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I guess I don't see Granlund being here or not as the difference between this team winning or losing. I just don't see us as competitive against the better teams in the league. Not thrilled about us giving up a 2hd rounder however.
The mistake is simply magnified on this roster, and cost precious draft currency. A big unforced error. We missed the playoffs by like one game. The difference between Florida being a Finalist and a non-entrant. Yes, I think it could make a difference like that.

I'll cope with it by pretending it contributed to regime change.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Back to the draft, man I hope Michkov busts. Wow a cliche Michigan goal in the KHL. Who cares.

Probably picked the Flyers so he can collect a paycheck for an extra ten years after retirement.

Reactions: Factorial

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Dubas taking last year's concerns with the Pens ability to Finnish very seriously in this draft.
Respect.
Yeah, Yager had a lukewarm season for his draft year but there's apparently been discussion of him being a top-5 talent for a few years. People seem to think his drop off in production could be a result of him refining other areas of his game too. /shrug

We'll see if he can sort himself out and develop into a gem or not. The talent seems to be there, particularly in the shot. Also, personally, would rather a guy be a really smart player as opposed to simply being a fast player, or big player.
The critiques of Yager read almost exactly like this board's frustration with McCann, it's frankly almost a little eerie.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, McCann seems to be a pretty familiar relatable. That's a good call.
There's a couple of lessons there if we're smart: 1) with proper development a player like Yager could develop in to the version of McCann Seattle had, not the version we had, 2) a player like that might not help much now, but let's not kid ourselves, we're already dead in the water and he'll be ready in time for the firesale as a more valuable asset, or 3) if we keep him, we might make someone else expendable.

But we have to patient with him and actually develop him.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
There's a couple of lessons there if we're smart: 1) with proper development a player like Yager could develop in to the version of McCann Seattle had, not the version we had, 2) a player like that might not help much now, but let's not kid ourselves, we're already dead in the water and he'll be ready in time for the firesale as a more valuable asset, or 3) if we keep him, we might make someone else expendable.

As intriguing as he is... he's a little all over the map so yeah... he's gonna need some patience and guidance, I think.

The team's top two prospects in he and Pickering similar in that regard. A ton of potential there... but need lots of polishing and refinement.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

For sure. Which also means not keeping the roster stocked to the gills with expensive vets, so when it's time for Yager to make the jump, he'll have a spot to grow and develop at this level in several years--if he ever gets to that point.

We'll see what happens. The one Russian kid they landed seems to have extremely similar stats/comparables to the Russian kid the Coyotes took at 12. I'm assuming it was in a lesser league or something, because man, that sounds way too good to be true. :laugh:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
What grade would you give us here? You're familiar with these guys?
I’d only consider myself anything approaching an authority on CHL guys but I have somewhat informed opinions on most NA prospects. I don’t bother with trying to know any but the highest rated Euros before they’re drafted.

Jarventie is a name I’ve heard a ton and always in a positive way, though, which is why I was stunned he was still available in the seventh. Leslie is a guy I’ve been high on for years, just an all-around great two-way guy. I would not have batted an eye if he was taken in the second, and I’m truly shocked he was not drafted.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's a shame Benson didn't make it to 14, because as he kept dropping, I was getting more excited for the team to grab him. Not really torn up about missing out on Wood or Moore. Perreault seemed pretty close to Yager. ASP felt like a guy who is really boom or bust.

Ah well. Time to see if the Pens snag any undrafted kids, then it's on to figuring out how to unf*** the roster as best as possible after years of JR and Hextall. :laugh:

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Back to the draft, man I hope Michkov busts. Wow a cliche Michigan goal in the KHL. Who cares.

Probably picked the Flyers so he can collect a paycheck for an extra ten years after retirement.
I think that’s some wishful thinking.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
UFA on a Saturday this year. Should be interesting. Still hoping we sit the first week out.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I think that’s some wishful thinking.
It's full on hating is what it is. I will say the dude is kind of small. A big part of Ovechkin's and Malkin's projectability was their NHL size along with everything else. I'm also relying on the Flyers historic failure in drawing from the European side. I'm thinking (hoping) the vibes are not right.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I like that it’s all 2005s. Nobody passed over in prior drafts. Of course those guys can pan out too but in general younger players have higher upside. A 19 or 20 year old is closer to being a finished product.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I like that it’s all 2005s. Nobody passed over in prior drafts. Of course those guys can pan out too but in general younger players have higher upside. A 19 or 20 year old is closer to being a finished product.
Dom Simon says Hi!

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yager is an odd case. Highlights never paint a good picture, but he’s incredibly more explosive in his 2021-2022 (CHL ROY) highlights than his 2022-2023 reel. It’s weird.

Whether that’s good or bad or doesn’t matter at all (most likely)- I have no idea

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad